• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what bands did you grow up on?

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
pink floyd, mike oldfield, elton john - since i was 14.

jimi hendrix - since i was 15.

syd barrett (solo) - since i was 16.

radiohead, akvarium (russian soft rock band), alisa (russian heavy metal/christian rock band) - since i was 18.

dead can dance, smashing pumpkins - since i was 19.

i still listen to the same but with some additions, e.g. the cocteau twins or electronic music, which i have grown really fond of.

there has also been a lot of pop music inbetween, mostly disco and 80s-90s dance music - f.r. david, modern talking, abba, ace of base, haddaway, masterboy, dj bobo, pharao, doctor alban, contemporary radio hit singles. i can't say i listen to these in the full sense of the word - i tune out and go into daydream mode, but as background music, they are great. something about the strong beat and dynamic flow of the music is stimulating to the imagination.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Strange that you didn't mention KISS since you have the funniest, awesomest Sig that I've seen! But as for the thread, ya all the 80's (hair) metal is what I consider growing up with. :)

True but it's actually from the movie Role Models. My kids tell me I'm like the female Paul Rudd.

[YOUTUBE=h4wEgEPhnig]Paul Rudd[/YOUTUBE]

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
As I kid I listened to the things my parents listened to, which was mostly grunge and alternative (Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, White Stripes, Beck etc.). My favorite song at age 2 was Soundgarden's Spoonman; it feels oddly nostalgic to me now. I also really liked Love and Rockets. My father also listened to some electronica, like the Crystal Method and the Chemical Brothers, and those songs were always my favorite.

Around 2001 or 2002 (when I was 11 or so), my father started listening to indie music, so I listened to that quite a bit. This continued for years, and I still listen to bands like Le Tigre, Low, Ivy, Grandaddy, Death From Above 1979.

It wasn't until about 7th grade in 2005 when I began listening to 'my own' music. It started out with Beck's Guero album, and shortly afterwards I discovered Amon Tobin's Foley Room. I think it was actually the "Experimental Electronica" iTunes essential (which is now gone, sadly) where I discovered Amon Tobin and many other experimental artists, including Autechre and Clark. Since then I've listened to mostly pretentious experimental music, IDM and other electronica. Animal collective and Paavoharju are great bands. Currently I'm really into Oneohtrix Point Never, Actress, and, like always, Clark (Body Riddle is an incredible album). I somehow didn't hear Neutral Milk Hotel until like, two years ago.

Some links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUzSq1MVh0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kflSX9VqIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSP8MtbtS9Y <-- this one is particularly good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8IfRN22yFs

Also, math rock.

Then in my 20s, I got really into the whole Rave scene, and all kinds of electronic music.
Techno, Trance, IDM, Drum-n-Bass, Dubstep, etc.

Now, in my 30s, I still like most of the same music--except for the Heavy Metal and some of the Rap.
Do you like J Dilla? Liturgy?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Verdi
Wagner
Puccini
Massenet
Bellini
Rossini
Donizetti
Handel

N

NPcomplete

As a kid, as far as I remember:
Edith Piaf
Beethoven
Disney soundtracks

As a teenager:
Coldplay
Keane
Bach
There probably were more but I was way wayyyy more into books back then. :bookish:

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmmm..no, I'm not familiar with those. Unfortunately, I can't watch the videos right now, but I'll check em out later.
You definitely need to check out J Dilla. He's influenced Dabrye, Prefuse 73, Flying Lotus, Samiyam, and many, many other artists.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you live in a monestery? lol

no, I've just never liked pop or rock music since I was little. my parents would play 60s/70s rock and I would be like "oh God my ears!" and leave the room. mostly I actually listened to movie soundtracks and such, but I can't think of a lot of composers for movie soundtracks so I stuck with an opera theme since I also liked classical music as a child.
PS: INFU LOL! that's awesome :laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pearl jam
Nirvana
rem
Green day
Red hot chili peppers
Sublime
Rage against the machine
Blink 182
No doubt
Eve 6
semisonic
fastball

... Basically a lot of 90s stuff :laugh:

xisnotx

Permabanned
I never got into rock..mostly because of cultural reasons..like only 2 or 3 people I knew even listened to it, and being a kid and all, you tend to follow.

50 cent, luda, ti, snoop, eminem where the main rappers. Alicia keys, mariah, where the girls. Also some reggae: buju banton, elephant man, sean paul. Lol i haven't listened to sean paul in ages.

Then kid cudi

Then lil wayne and that whole cash money group.

I got into odd future recently.

And now im jonesing for a new music fix.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
In elementary school, it was largely either rap or whatever my elder sisters listened to. From middle school onwards, its been a weird combination of heavy metal (I'm kinda traditional, never got into Cannibal Corpse-esque 'cookie monster' vocals-I just think they detract from rather than complement the music) and broadway musicals (I actually read Les Miserables in sixth grade because I liked the musical so much).

My musical tastes have not really changed since then.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Offspring
Blink 182
AFI
NOFX
The Misfits
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat
Black flag

Yeah, I was kind of a douche.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nirvana
Primus
Beatles
Weezer
Counting Crows
Bob Dylan
a lot of rap but no particular artists, just what I'd hear on the radio

& I still like all of that.. my taste is loyal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Genesis
Chicago
Toto
Air Supply
Survivor
Duran Duran
Pet Shop Boys
Tears for Fears
Foreigner
Commodores
Doobie Brothers
Ambrosia
Spandau Ballet
Hall & Oates
Paul McCartney & Wings
The Cars
Little River Band
The Eagles
Styx
ELO
Alan Parsons Project

(special bonus points if you can figure out which decade I grew up over)

There are many newer groups I like too, but this is just what I was listening to during the formative years.

aquarelle said:
]As a child (elementary and middle school), I listened to Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey and Amy Grant. In middle-high school, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, Soul Asylum, Oasis... basically 90s alternative/grunge.

I had a lot of CCM solo acts in my formative years too, including Amy Grant (and Smitty, Petra, Kathy T, Whiteheart, Steve Camp, Glad, SCC, Brian Duncan, Steve Taylor, etc), I just didn't mention those because it's such a niche group except for the crossovers like Amy.

Lark

Loads of bands.

The big ones were probably:

Smashing pumpkins.
Rage Against The Machine.
Nirvana.
Oasis.
Creedence Clearwater (my dad was a fan and I used to listen to it in the car).

Before that I listened to The Projidy, it was before they became mainstream and they were still a fringe act, part of the race scene which hadnt properly became dance yet.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Various bands/artists from several decades, but mostly the following:

Genesis
Phil Collins
The Police
Sting
Mike and the Mechanics
Steve Winwood
Peter Gabriel
Fleetwood Mac
Tears for Fears
ABC
Wang Chung
Level 42
Elton John
Supertramp
Steve Miller Band
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
Wilson Phillips
Yes
Eric Clapton
Foreigner
Mr. Mister
Starship
Hall and Oates
The Moody Blues
ELO
The Mamas and the Papas
Diana Ross and the Supremes
The Loving Spoonful
Franki Valli and the Four Seasons
Toto
Tomita
Gloria Estefan
Mariah Carey
Madonna (whether I care to admit it or not!)
Cathy Davis
Janet Jackson
Paula Abdul
Taylor Dayne
Crowded House
Seal
Haddaway
Londonbeat
Bruce Hornsby
Joe Jackson
Eric Carmen
Richard Marx
Glenn Frey
Don Henley
Savage Garden
In middle school liked a couple boy bands :sick:
Smashmouth
No Doubt
Gwen Stefani
Santana
Benny Goodman
Vanessa Carlton
Jewel
Leanne Rhimes
Cheryl Crowe
Dido
Sarah McLachlan
Shania Twain
Celine Dion
Enrique Iglesias
Enya
REM

Basically includes my early childhood through high school. While I was in middle-high school I got into the top 40 because I mostly heard that on the bus ride and with school dances. But the ones that I grew up with at home are the enduring bands and artists that I still have an affection for.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Artists?

...I just included bands and specifically avoided artists.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
omg SO MUCH GREAT MUSIC in this thread!! I wish I had grown up on a lot of this stuff. [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I just discovered Alan Parsons Project a few months ago and I played them on my progressive rock radio show. (THUS QUOTH THE RAVEN!!!!!!!) But unlike [MENTION=8888]CuriousFeeling[/MENTION], I don't think I "grew up" on prog since I only discovered it when I was maybe a freshman in high school.

What I grew up on was mostly post-grunge but also some things my parents had lying around.
Stuff I knew of from my own listening:
- Linkin Park
- Foo Fighters
- Seether
- Staind
- Smash Mouth
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Green Day
- Jimmy Eat World
- Hoobastank
- A Perfect Circle
- Nine Inch Nails
- Incubus
- Most hit radio and modern rock radio of the late 90's and early 00's

Stuff from my parents:
- Squirrel Nut Zippers
- Talking Heads
- CSNY/CSN
- The B-52's
- Riot grrl (my dad loves Veruca Salt and Sleater-Kinney)
- Lots of other crazy stuff (since my dad has like 700 CDs in his collection)

Edit: Whoops! Just deleted all the artists (didn't see that it was just bands)