• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

are ALL movie futures shitty?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my SO is oddly in love with movies set in the future, which means that I have to watch them at least once a week (or so it seems!).

You SRSLY have my sympathies. :sadbanana:
ESTP Supportive Hug!---> :hug:
ESTP Supportive Hi-Five!---> :hifive:

I can't say I'm the biggest fan, because somehow movies about the future are incredibly depressing because the future is always kind of incredibly dismal. Why the hell are all movies set in the future so depressing? Are there any who aren't? :huh:

I totally agree with you. :yes:

I kind of laugh when I see "old future movies" - as in, the year things were supposed to be fucked up a certain way has long since passed, and jackshit of anything similar to what was in the film has transpired.

People truly have lost sight of how much the here and now is a circus in and of itself. Lost Fools---> :wizfreak: :drunk:
That being the case, why fuck up our chances of dreaming about a cushy future? :thumbdown:
OK, "The Terminator" was freaking amazing, yes, there are exceptions to every rule. :pumpyouup:
If you were a top ranked party official in "1984" things wouldn't be so bad, but that's like saying if you are a member of the Saudi royal family things aren't so bad for you right now.
That kind of daydreaming doesn't do much for me. :offtobed:
I'd rather watch a spaghetti western than a future flick, any day of the week.

:solidarity:

-Alex

H

Hate

[MENTION=9807]Moniker[/MENTION]

Be careful, don't cross the streams.

tumblr_lp86qj7lnI1qzekdio1_500.gif

E

Epiphany

[MENTION=9807]Moniker[/MENTION]

Be careful, don't cross the streams.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks! I was just curious, that's all.

And I was just kidding. Well, maybe not. *evil stare while plotting demise of the world as we know it*

Lark

If you were a top ranked party official in "1984" things wouldn't be so bad, but that's like saying if you are a member of the Saudi royal family things aren't so bad for you right now.

Not really, at least that wasnt Orwell's intention, he wanted to depict an order so lousy that even those who were meant to benefit the most from it knew it was lousy, hence all the need for constant self-indoctrination and reinforcement.

Winston Smith is supposedly part of the middle classes, the proles, the least well off but also, ironically, that section of society which needs the least oppressive control, is the least policed actually (its slightly more developed in the book I've always thought) dont feature in a big way in either the book or the movie, they arent characters I mean. Everything anyone can get is shite, in the only things which are held up as good in the book are the countryside and a snow globe which has sentimental value, the party hates sentiment because its contra the "serious headedness" of ideology and struggle and striving, I've always thought the scene were the snow globe is smashed during the raid at the finish should be shot in slow motion.

1984 is also meant to be a satire on authoritarianism, its meant to have the message that even when it proves completely successful authoritarianism can only produce shite, shite alcohol, shite cigarettes, shite books, shite TV, shite newspapers and eventually, shite people, Winston, an intellectual, a thinker, is rendered a broken man by the finish and broken men arent good for much, they definitely cant ever be the super men or men of tommorrow of most authoritarian/totalitarian dreams.

Brazil is another movie which manages to do these themes well, things arent as shite for the middle classes, although the entropy and breakdown and denial of it has gotten so bad that literally the place is falling apart, so much so that explosions from it all are blamed on terrorists, who no one sees and who havent made an demands or anything. The torture and resultant mental break rescue fantasy at the finish is closer to what Orwell was trying to depict as the horror of room 101, the betrayal and ruthlessness of the torturer, who was a close personal acquaintence, is ripped off from Orwell too but I've yet to see an adaptation of 1984 which really displayed it like that.

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World was a good movie too, at least I liked it, that future would actually be the closest to our present, if the libertarians became truly ascendent and mixed their vision with elitism, the rampant drug culture and orgy culture satisfying most of the low rent classes is something I really could see happening.

I agree that Back To The Future was the most positive depiction of a futurescape, although got to say those were positive movies and made a time when most movies had a positivity which I dont think is around anymore and seems phony or pastiche when done today.

E

Epiphany

And I was just kidding. Well, maybe not. *evil stare while plotting demise of the world as know it*

I was more or less mocking another member's incessant curiosity. I was about to start a thread on the topic to garner more attention, but then I lost interest and found something else to do.

I did, however, come across a book recently about Nostradamus' prophecies concerning the 3rd antichrist, and what a sick, twisted fuck, he is. "A horrible undoing of people and animals" sayeth the seer. According to his alleged birth chart, he will be born around 2030, give or take a decade. That gives us plenty of time to engage in lewd behavior.

Lark

I was more or less mocking another member's incessant curiosity. I was about to start a thread on the topic to garner more attention, but then I lost interest and found something else to do.

I did, however, come across a book recently about Nostradamus' prophecies concerning the 3rd antichrist, and what a sick, twisted fuck, he is. "A horrible undoing of people and animals" sayeth the seer. According to his alleged birth chart, he will be born around 2030, give or take a decade. That gives us plenty of time to engage in lewd behavior.

Shit didnt Nostradamus know about the Mayan 2012 party?! :laugh:

E

Epiphany

Shit didnt Nostradamus know about the Mayan 2012 party?! :laugh:

He'll be there with us, in spirit, partying it up.

For my business class, I decided to create a company to profit off of the 2012 hype, called Xibalba (roughly translated as "place of fear", it is the name of the underworld in Maya mythology, ruled by the Mayan death gods and their helpers.)

My company makes doomsday clocks, mayan calendars and assorted commemorative memorabilia, such as Newton's cradles with the spheres painted like planets to illustrate a planetary collision. There has to be a way to make a profit off of people's obsession with destruction and demise. Non-refundable apocalypse insurance?

Lark

He'll be there with us, in spirit, partying it up.

For my business class, I decided to create a company to profit off of the 2012 hype, called Xibalba (roughly translated as "place of fear", it's the name of the underworld in Maya mythology, ruled by the Maya death gods and their helpers.)

My company makes doomsday clocks, mayan calendars and assorted commemorative memorabilia, such as Newton's cradles with the marbles painted like planets to illustrate a planetary collision. There has to be a way to make a profit off of people's fear and/or obsession with destruction and demise. Non-refundable apocalypse insurance?

Are the Mayans the guys who had the blood wars and tore the hearts out of their rivals and skinned each other alive and did all sorts of shit like that? I mean their hell has got to be pretty awful to top all that.

E

Epiphany

Are the Mayans the guys who had the blood wars and tore the hearts out of their rivals and skinned each other alive and did all sorts of shit like that? I mean their hell has got to be pretty awful to top all that.

According to Mel Gibson. I would imagine so.

Lark

According to Mel Gibson. I would imagine so.

I'm glad the Spanish wiped them out. I've seen some really freaky movies on that theme, there was Q the serpent, that episode of Sharpe with the French guys getting cut to bits in sacrifices and the whole Temple of Doom makes me think of them too.

E

Epiphany

I'm glad the Spanish wiped them out. I've seen some really freaky movies on that theme, there was Q the serpent, that episode of Sharpe with the French guys getting cut to bits in sacrifices and the whole Temple of Doom makes me think of them too.

That is some sick shit. Could you imagine if the Mayans had nuclear weapons? That's why this whole "living" thing is destined to end.

Last edited:

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Dystopian futures are just more interesting. How entertaining would a movie be if there was no big problem to overcome? If everything were all honkey-dorey it would be a pretty fucking boring movie. (Or book, as is the case with most of these movies in the first place.)

Personally, I really tend to LOVE dystopian future movies and books. Book of Eli, Equilibrium, Children of Men, Gattaca, The Matrix, Omega Man, Serenity, V for Vendetta. Those are the best type of movies. Soylent Green! Best dystopian movie ever!

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm suprised nobody metioned the Terminator movies. :O

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm suprised nobody metioned the Terminator movies. :O

I did! I did! :harhar:

Lookie here, Naysayer!!! :newwink:

People truly have lost sight of how much the here and now is a circus in and of itself. Lost Fools---> :wizfreak: :drunk:
That being the case, why fuck up our chances of dreaming about a cushy future? :thumbdown:
OK, "The Terminator" was freaking amazing, yes, there are exceptions to every rule... :pumpyouup:

:coffee:

-Alex