User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Weird, dark movies

The movies I'm always drawn to are the weird dark ones. I have a need to ritualistically creep myself out.

I just watched Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier), & it was the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. I may have nightmares.

Regardless I'd like to know what are some of the weirdest &/or darkest movies you've seen... disturbing / frightening isn't necessary, since I'm more interested in the weirdness (which can be dark as well as comical) than anything else.

A lot of people think a director like David Lynch is weird, but to my thinking he's more toward strange. People often confuse the two.

But what are some movies that etc.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I just watched Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier), & it was the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. I may have nightmares.
    I haven't seen that one, but I did see Breaking the Waves and Dogville by him -- definitely some of the better but also very much bleaker movies I've ever seen. Dogville has a pretty hard ending. It wasn't unsettling in terms of having nightmares, but definitely unsettling in its view and assessment of humanity.

Lynch, I actually do find unsettling (I'm thinking of Mulholland Drive, for one, aside from the strangeness; and while I saw Blue Velvet over twenty years ago, imagery from that movie and overtones of Dennis Hopper's performance still linger with me).

Pan's Labyrinth was a good mix of the unsettling + the beautiful, both accentuating each other. I'm not even talking the supernatural sequences (although the Pale Man is pretty good); her stepfather is a relentless monster. The scene where two rurals are captured while claiming to be hunting rabbits is probably one of the most unapologetical brutal scenes I have ever seen in a movie of any sort.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I've only seen the Idiots (a Von Trier film). I wouldn't say it's disturbing though. Kind of funny actually.

Man Bites Dog is another film made with the dogma95 philosophy, but a Belgian director.. Disturbing AND funny at the same time.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man might be in my top 5 of disturbing films.

figsfiggyfigs

I could've sworn I posted here.

I know this sounds odd, especially considering how this movie did, but I found Sucker Punch to be extremely depressing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Harmony Korine anyone?

The Greek movie "Dogtooth" is supposed to be very unsettling and weird.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I forgot to mention Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. It was both weird and unsettling, yet familiar and even dryly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I know this sounds odd, especially considering how this movie did, but I found Sucker Punch to be extremely depressing.
    it kind of was, although the Extended Cut had a scene with the High Roller and Babydoll that helped make her seem less a victim and more like she had found some sort of way to take control of her future, based on the limited options she had available.

I added my comment about Brazil up above because the protagonist resolution of the traditional Brazil cut and the Extended Cut of Sucker Punch are conceptually the same.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Does it have to be a feature film? Cuz' there's plenty of horrifying things on youtube that warrant a life-time achievement award for this title:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

@Jennifer I've been meaning to see Brazil. I like Terry Gilliam & I've heard that's his best movie.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth a few years ago but can't remember a thing about it. I'll watch it again.

One of the coolest weird films I've seen recently (I've been on a kick for oh... a month now) was 'I Can See You', released in 2008. It was so awesome.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWsJY7K_yA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWsJY7K_yA[/YOUTUBE]

Not a very coherent trailer though.

@Lightyear I saw Dogtooth & it was great too.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think The Ring is soooper creepy.