• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird, dark movies

nanook

a scream in a vortex
The weirdest films that come to mind are some of Alejandro Jodorowsky's, such as 'El Topo' and 'The Holy Mountain'.

those are ideal movies for children. i mean it's long and slow and children are patient and used to not making sense out of grown up stuff, and children (my type at least) love alternative worlds. i saw this movie (holy mountain) as a kid, and i loved it. today, i find it difficult to extend my attention span to so much irrationality at once.

N

NPcomplete

Wow, that's the kind of movie that always scared & fascinated me as a kid. God, buttons for eyes.. sheesh. I wonder if kids today would be as creeped out though?

In an interview, Neil Gaiman mentioned that the editor was afraid that kids would be scared of the story but the kids really liked the story.

The first movie that came to mind when reading this thread was He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not. It was pretty disturbing if I may say so.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it seriously took until page 4 for someone to mention eraserhead? :thelook: what the hell is wrong with you people! :nono:

and I'm probably the only person here who thinks that the dream sequences from The Big Lebowski are creepy :ninja:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLRdeYFHss"]The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover[/YOUTUBE]

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Gummo is another weird, kind of bleak yet beautiful movie. I always end up liking the stuff people hate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think von Trier is probably a really dark, troubled ENFP. Functionalogically speaking the effect of the movie is like an Fi monster coming up to crush every last ounce of Ne hope & creation in the human spirit

This kind of discussion around von Trier has been pretty typical among movie critics. Can't remember all the details, but typically it revolves around how unsettling his movies are (often from a moral perspective) and whether his vision of the world is accurate. He's not an easy watch; you have to be made of stern stuff to immerse yourself in his vision.

Hmm... Donnie Darko?

ha ha.... I think it's scary that Donnie never came to my mind. I guess the movie seems so "normal" to me in terms of my view of life that I didn't think about how surreal it is from the outside.

That's a great unsettling scene where he's in the bathroom stabbing Frank in the damaged eye and being deflected by the force field -- is he bugnuts or not? Or the whole theater discussion while watching Evil Dead 2.

*my definition of "very disturbing" is not what most people's is. The Exorcist is not "very disturbing" to me at all.

remarkably, I remember being very disappointed when I finally watched The Exorcist in the late '90's. I was horribly bored. In fact, my favorite scene in the movie (in terms of being unsettled) never appeared in the orignial movie -- it's the scene where she scrambles down the steps like a human spider.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
ha ha.... I think it's scary that Donnie never came to my mind. I guess the movie seems so "normal" to me in terms of my view of life that I didn't think about how surreal it is from the outside.

That's a great unsettling scene where he's in the bathroom stabbing Frank in the damaged eye and being deflected by the force field -- is he bugnuts or not? Or the whole theater discussion while watching Evil Dead 2.

Holy crap, that's the same scene I was thinking of! The sheer atmosphere gives me shivers...

I also read the Agony Booth recap of Kelly's Southland Tales. It involves dwarves in labcoats, SNL cast members and a commercial with two SUVs performing unspeakable acts, so I think it also counts.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Seems Jodorowsky keeps popping up in threads like these.
Don't really care for the Holy Mountain or El Topo.
Neither are nearly as groundbreaking as purported.

I've been digesting parts of the 1986 version of the Hitcher, focusing mainly on Rutger Hauer's character John Ryder. From what I've seen, there's too many logical inconsistencies in the film to call it great, but his performance has my full attention.

Mark Isham's soundtrack helps.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
This was one of the weirder, darker ones I've seen in awhile. That the idea was even developed enough to make screen is beyond me.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX8fKLjC__c"]icky[/YOUTUBE]

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's a dark and weird short:
[YOUTUBE="Y_6Kp7q5tbA"]Bart the General[/YOUTUBE]
And another one:
[YOUTUBE="bjc5Kc6CuGQ"]Dog St. 2[/YOUTUBE]
And another:
[YOUTUBE="bZNbO7e2rJM"]If I Could Hear I Would Listen[/YOUTUBE]
And a fourth:
[YOUTUBE="N7bwbl6UHU8"]Dilbert 3[/YOUTUBE]

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not too sure which dark and weird movies one prefers.

For example, some people love psychological thrillers, others like realistic gore.

Cannibal Holocaust was a pretty disgusting and disturbing film. I wouldn't watch it again.

Movies I liked that are "dark" and "weird" are Jacob's Ladder, Pi, The Machinist, City of Lost Children, Ikiru, Waking Life, Delicatessen, Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, Videodrome, etc.

I don't really care for those torture films, like Saw.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
oh. youtube hour.
[YOUTUBE="QJhVM930YXY"]let's see what's on reality TV[/YOUTUBE]

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This kind of discussion around von Trier has been pretty typical among movie critics. Can't remember all the details, but typically it revolves around how unsettling his movies are (often from a moral perspective) and whether his vision of the world is accurate. He's not an easy watch; you have to be made of stern stuff to immerse yourself in his vision.

There's definitely a sense of 'going to the bottom of life'... like relentless onwardness, wastefulness. The idea that every living thing in the end gets a losing deal, pain wins out over happiness, bad always outweighs good, etc.

For me, it's like the scientific concept of entropy. You get less than you put in, the universe always takes more than it gives, etc.

There's a quote from Arthur Schopenhauer:

"A quick test of the assertion that enjoyment outweighs pain in this world, or that they are at any rate balanced, would be to compare the feelings of an animal engaged in eating another with those of the animal being eaten."

To which all you can say is-

LOL

Some people could be offended, but for me it was hilarious to read that, because it's such a blunt expression of something I'd kind of always felt.

The movie gets at that in a more heinous, dramatized way.

Last edited:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So is anybody else following anyone's recommendations? I've been systematically seeking out every single person's suggestions. I take my threads very, very, very seriously.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlH2j6sSFqs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlH2j6sSFqs[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So is anybody else following anyone's recommendations? I've been systematically seeking out every single person's suggestions. I take my threads very, very, very seriously.

I plan to follow up on some movies mentioned in this thread.

As far as your prior post in our discussion of Von Trier, as soon as you dropped the name Schopenhauer, well, that kind of conveys everything that could be said.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just saw District 9, I suppose it fits the context of weird and dark. But it's also really well made. It's definately part of my most favotire movies I've seen of all time category.

It's basicly a non-'disney'-fied Avatar.

Other than that, Clockwork Orange comes to mind. I've also seen some disturbing 'underground' movies, but they tend to lack much depth. :p

Razzaberry

Razzaberry Is Yummy
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZGTrgiCLU"]Felidae[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure if thats weird enough...its creepy though (and left me paranoid for a week).

Felidae is an animated film and feline noir story involving murder, Egyptian mythology, medical experiments on animals, sex, cults, genetics and nightmares.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JK40UiRet0"]Salad Fingers[/YOUTUBE]
Thats weirder than Felidae