User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh, I just remembered seeing a movie about a guy and a boy walking across a post-apocalyptic wasteland, doing what must be done to survive in search of hope.

Can't recall the name though. But I quite liked seeing it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Oh, I just remembered seeing a movie about a guy and a boy walking across a post-apocalyptic wasteland, doing what must be done to survive in search of hope.

Can't recall the name though. But I quite liked seeing it.
    'The Road' from the book of the same name by Cormac McCarthy?

INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    'The Road' from the book of the same name by Cormac McCarthy?

Yes, that's the one. Quite enjoyed watching it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I would recommend anything from David Lynch.
    He has an uncanny talent to tap into the primal, subconscious mind.

The works of Stanley Kubrick are affective as well.
    He chronicled human folly with an enthusiastic smile.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    The movies I'm always drawn to are the weird dark ones. I have a need to ritualistically creep myself out.

I just watched Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier), & it was the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. I may have nightmares.
    Finally saw this last night.

My god, I've never been more simultaneously dazzled (by the beautiful visuals), moved (by the honest and vulnerable acting), creeped out (by the ambiance), turned off (by some of the violence), or have a wtf response (talking foxes, birthing deers, and whatever else). What a mess of a movie, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Except that with all the slowmo of her in the woods, it left me excruciatingly uneasy ... like evil was lurking there waiting and I didn't know when it would arrive, and everything was in such slow motion that you'd see it coming and wouldn't be able to escape.

I'm finding it a bit easier to talk about and process than Malick's "Tree of Life," but it's leaving me with similar feelings -- like I have just lived within that space and experienced the movie but articulating thoughts about it from the outside eludes me.

And what on earth was that ending?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I remember having watched pretty dark film when I was a kid. There were two guys who I think were being helded hostages by an indian. I remember a scene on which one of these guys wake up and sees the indian is consuming the insides of the the calf of the other guy. I think that guy had tried to escape.

Does anyone know the name of this film??
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I wouldn't say it's particularly weird, but Se7en is rather dark and is one hell of a good movie.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Finally saw this last night.

My god, I've never been more simultaneously dazzled (by the beautiful visuals), moved (by the honest and vulnerable acting), creeped out (by the ambiance), turned off (by some of the violence), or have a wtf response (talking foxes, birthing deers, and whatever else). What a mess of a movie, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Except that with all the slowmo of her in the woods, it left me excruciatingly uneasy ... like evil was lurking there waiting and I didn't know when it would arrive, and everything was in such slow motion that you'd see it coming and wouldn't be able to escape.

I'm finding it a bit easier to talk about and process than Malick's "Tree of Life," but it's leaving me with similar feelings -- like I have just lived within that space and experienced the movie but articulating thoughts about it from the outside eludes me.

And what on earth was that ending?
    I haven't seen The Antichrist, but the end of your post makes me wonder if it felt like you were punched in the stomach--because my experience of Lars Von Trier (which is a handful of films--Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, The Idiots, The Boss of it All) is that he always leaves you feeling like someone just punched you. In the stomach. Hard. Even his comedy, I felt like shit after I watched it. I like dark films and stories. But ugh! Lars Von Trier! He is a bad person who wants people to suffer!

McCarthy's The Road, on the other hand--I haven't seen the film and the book has a totally unnecessary ending (not dark enough!), but damn--it's a work of art. Dark art. Gloomy art.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I haven't seen The Antichrist, but the end of your post makes me wonder if it felt like you were punched in the stomach--because my experience of Lars Von Trier (which is a handful of films--Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, The Idiots, The Boss of it All) is that he always leaves you feeling like someone just punched you. In the stomach. Hard. Even his comedy, I felt like shit after I watched it. I like dark films and stories. But ugh! Lars Von Trier! He is a bad person who wants people to suffer!
    yes, so far, I've seen Breaking the Waves, Dogville, Melancholia, and now Antichrist. left kind of speechless after the end of each... but it's also that there is just nothing I can say about the movie. I don't know how to explain it. I think my T sensibilities are looking for a thread or structure by which to hang the movie on, and his movies just kind of defy any kind of natural skeleton, they're constructed differently, and any rational attempt to explain them just comes out as gibberish or is some kind of simplistic criticism or pabulum. I can't accurately articulate what I felt and experienced when watching the movie, or what it was doing to me. You can only understand by watching it and experiencing it yourself.

A lot has been said about the act of self-mutilation that occurs in this movie, that left Von Trier branded a misogynist (although people have been accusing him of that for awhile). Actually, I felt like there was actually a through-line there -- the kind of guilt the character experiences for the tragedy occurring at the movie's beginning leads directly to what she does, later; it made sense to me and follows logically, but as a woman who has walked my particular road in life, I was completely mortified by what happened. Just waaay too close to home for me, I'm wincing agonizingly now just thinking about it again.

McCarthy's The Road, on the other hand--I haven't seen the film and the book has a totally unnecessary ending (not dark enough!), but damn--it's a work of art. Dark art. Gloomy art.
    I'll have to look for that one. I seem to be into dark movies lately. gives me something to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I wouldn't say it's particularly weird, but Se7en is rather dark and is one hell of a good movie.
    Especially that scene with Sloth, with the little trees hanging from the ceiling and, well, you know...

The cinematography and art direction was excellent; I think the look of the movie (and how it affects ambiance) sticks with me more than the movie itself (plot, acting, etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft