User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The weirdest films that come to mind are some of Alejandro Jodorowsky's, such as 'El Topo' and 'The Holy Mountain'.
    those are ideal movies for children. i mean it's long and slow and children are patient and used to not making sense out of grown up stuff, and children (my type at least) love alternative worlds. i saw this movie (holy mountain) as a kid, and i loved it. today, i find it difficult to extend my attention span to so much irrationality at once.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Hmm... Donnie Darko?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Wow, that's the kind of movie that always scared & fascinated me as a kid. God, buttons for eyes.. sheesh. I wonder if kids today would be as creeped out though?
    In an interview, Neil Gaiman mentioned that the editor was afraid that kids would be scared of the story but the kids really liked the story.

The first movie that came to mind when reading this thread was He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not. It was pretty disturbing if I may say so.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it seriously took until page 4 for someone to mention eraserhead? what the hell is wrong with you people!

and I'm probably the only person here who thinks that the dream sequences from The Big Lebowski are creepy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLRdeYFHss"]The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover[/YOUTUBE]
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Gummo is another weird, kind of bleak yet beautiful movie. I always end up liking the stuff people hate.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    ENTP

Gummo is another weird, kind of bleak yet beautiful movie. I always end up liking the stuff people hate.
    Julien Donkey-Boy is better.

Edit:

A couple of my favorite scenes from Gummo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlPUxI8QYs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL7z3oO0kg8
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think von Trier is probably a really dark, troubled ENFP. Functionalogically speaking the effect of the movie is like an Fi monster coming up to crush every last ounce of Ne hope & creation in the human spirit
    This kind of discussion around von Trier has been pretty typical among movie critics. Can't remember all the details, but typically it revolves around how unsettling his movies are (often from a moral perspective) and whether his vision of the world is accurate. He's not an easy watch; you have to be made of stern stuff to immerse yourself in his vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Hmm... Donnie Darko?
    ha ha.... I think it's scary that Donnie never came to my mind. I guess the movie seems so "normal" to me in terms of my view of life that I didn't think about how surreal it is from the outside.

That's a great unsettling scene where he's in the bathroom stabbing Frank in the damaged eye and being deflected by the force field -- is he bugnuts or not? Or the whole theater discussion while watching Evil Dead 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    *my definition of "very disturbing" is not what most people's is. The Exorcist is not "very disturbing" to me at all.
    remarkably, I remember being very disappointed when I finally watched The Exorcist in the late '90's. I was horribly bored. In fact, my favorite scene in the movie (in terms of being unsettled) never appeared in the orignial movie -- it's the scene where she scrambles down the steps like a human spider.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha ha.... I think it's scary that Donnie never came to my mind. I guess the movie seems so "normal" to me in terms of my view of life that I didn't think about how surreal it is from the outside.

That's a great unsettling scene where he's in the bathroom stabbing Frank in the damaged eye and being deflected by the force field -- is he bugnuts or not? Or the whole theater discussion while watching Evil Dead 2.
    Holy crap, that's the same scene I was thinking of! The sheer atmosphere gives me shivers...

I also read the Agony Booth recap of Kelly's Southland Tales. It involves dwarves in labcoats, SNL cast members and a commercial with two SUVs performing unspeakable acts, so I think it also counts.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

Winter's Bone, The Virgin Suicides, Natural Born Killers.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."