• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people keep buying Call of Duty?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It's nothing more than a continuation of story in my opinion, it's like you're playing a movie which didn't surprise me. They built up a lot of story in MW2. BF has always been more tactical in my opinion with a story backdrop.

I appreciate how MW3 did not alter or re invite new controls, it was just an extended MW2. If I have to learn a new stupid set of controls because some over paid reprobate figured it would compensate for something else in the game - BF3 does plenty of that for MW3 and itself.

Im playing it right now, and I'm pretty bored half way through the campaign but I always thought the campaign sucked the multilayer is good though.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Call of Duty may be amazing, but it is only Activision's second biggest franchise. Their biggest franchise is World of Warcraft. And why do people keep paying $15 a month for World of Warcraft? Because it's a heavily social game that is well crafted. And Call of Duty is the same in that respect. Activision has a better idea of what the masses want compared to most game companies.

That's blizzard who made the game though really people just want addicting games I suppose.

Lexus

MBTI Type
xNTJ
The campaign does suck, it annoys me to tears but I wait for the movie clips in between. I want the end to come so that's my only motivation, the end result. :D
I hardly play it actually. It's like i have to derail my mind to engage it on a practical level. Nope.

I remember playing COD when it first came out, for some reason they had more strategy back then with moderate (decent) story, and it never bothered me. & MOH, the days back on the first Play Station, it never bothered me. Now they're rushing out to meet the demand because the games are expected, so they can through whatever crap they want onto a CD and people will pay a ridiculous price for it, plus membership for online play or some stupid stuff. It went from cheap and awesome to over priced and redundant. It's how it always goes.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The campaign does suck, it annoys me to tears but I wait for the movie clips in between. I want the end to come so that's my only motivation, the end result. :D
I hardly play it actually. It's like i have to derail my mind to engage it on a practical level. Nope.

I remember playing COD when it first came out, for some reason they had more strategy back then with moderate (decent) story, and it never bothered me. & MOH, the days back on the first Play Station, it never bothered me. Now they're rushing out to meet the demand because the games are expected, so they can through whatever crap they want onto a CD and people will pay a ridiculous price for it, plus membership for online play or some stupid stuff. It went from cheap and awesome to over priced and redundant. It's how it always goes.

I remember MOH being epic for it's time and playing allied assault for the first time really reminded of saving private ryan. After that game there was nothing really special about these games for me. I was always a fan of rainbow six though.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's blizzard who made the game though really people just want addicting games I suppose.

Activision-Blizzard is one company now. And most of the biggest selling games, especially for the past several years, have had a strong multiplayer component. Mario Kart, Pokemon, Farmville, WoW, CoD, etc... all have a well made multiplayer component.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Activision-Blizzard is one company now. And most of the biggest selling games, especially for the past several years, have had a strong multiplayer component. Mario Kart, Pokemon, Farmville, WoW, CoD, etc... all have a well made multiplayer component.

ya but activision didn't actually make the game blizzard did. Activision joined blizzard years after WOW was made.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ya but activision didn't actually make the game blizzard did. Activision joined blizzard years after WOW was made.

Doesn't matter much because

A) WoW has had several expansions since the merger and these have collectively changed the nature of the game.

B) WoW is more of a service than a product, so what a customer receives month to month is more telling than the initial product.

C) The biggest selling Call of Duty games happened after the merger. Essentially the (post-merger) company that has made WoW what it is today is the same company that has made WoW what it is today. In fact CoD will sometimes be made by different developers. The only constant is the publisher: Activision-Blizzard.

Uhg, now I feel dirty because I don't even want to defend Activision-Blizzard. I don't always agree with how they do things, but they do know what sells, and that is why they have the two biggest franchises right now.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Doesn't matter much because

A) WoW has had several expansions since the merger and these have collectively changed the nature of the game.

B) WoW is more of a service than a product, so what a customer receives month to month is more telling than the initial product.

C) The biggest selling Call of Duty games happened after the merger. Essentially the (post-merger) company that has made WoW what it is today is the same company that has made WoW what it is today. In fact CoD will sometimes be made by different developers. The only constant is the publisher: Activision-Blizzard.

Uhg, now I feel dirty because I don't even want to defend Activision-Blizzard. I don't always agree with how they do things, but they do know what sells, and that is why they have the two biggest franchises right now.

I don't even think activision does a whole lot for call of duty anyways, since it's developed by Infinity ward and tryarch. Wow is a product and a service at the same time they make money on expansions and game sells as well as month to month fees. I honestly don't think the guys at activision before the merge could come close to making a game like wow without the blizzard developers most activision games were mediocre.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This thread is reminding me to get my ass back on MW3. Anyone wanna play?

XBL tag: hobo jungle (if you add me, send me a note indicating who you are or I won't accept friend requests)