• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Low-Fi Art

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
(WARNING: Some videos are NSFW)
I wanted to share some of my favorite art videos. This is the kind of art I love, and yet it generally goes completely under the radar.

One is Cboyardee's Dilbert 2 and 3. 3 is better than 2 (1 doesn't matter so I'm not posting it):
[YOUTUBE="l8AUPSfgk18"]Dilbert 2[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="N7bwbl6UHU8"]Dilbert 3[/YOUTUBE]

Those videos were significantly influenced by earlier works, like those of Famicon and GHXYK2:
[YOUTUBE="bZNbO7e2rJM"]If I Could Hear I Could Listen by GHXYK2[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a couple great videos by Daniel Lopatin (a.k.a. Oneohtrix Point Never) on his Sunsetcorp Youtube account (one of which I just posted in the electronic music thread):
[YOUTUBE="FuCloea96Mg"]End of Life Entertainment Scenario[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="-RFunvF0mDw"]Nobody Here[/YOUTUBE]

And here's one of my favorite art blogs:
http://out-4-pizza.livejournal.com/

What do you guys think? Are the above videos just a bunch of postmodern crap that shouldn't even pass off as "art", or did they open your eyes to realms never thought of (or, you know, something in between)? Any similar videos that you have to share?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I didn't really like these too much.

I'm always interested when people get something original going, but those last 2 videos especially really got on my nerves.

I got the sensation of what the 4th video was going for at about 5:00, but that one second of mental cohesion doesn't make the whole video worthwhile.

I compare stuff like this to drinking a lot of DXM cough syrup ('robotripping')-- as a whole the experience is pretty shitty, but there's always some little intuitive flicker to your awareness of what else is possible in life. That's how those videos are.

Though I get irritated with the youtube posers, "I want this played at my funeral". Dude... gtfo.

Third video was good.

The Dilbert ones were dumb, but I liked the face animations.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Shit, man, sorry for thread necro, but I fucking love these. And I love tripping on cough syrup. Postmodern crap, both of them--a flood of "intuitive flickers into what is possible" and no insight into what actually EXISTS anymore. Have you heard of Dessoir's aesthetic forms? I wrote something about the aesthetic of postmodernism recently:

the postmodern "mood" is characterized by the tragic, comic, ugly, and sublime (mostly this) (blended into a grotesque, meaningless, pan-dimensional glop), but not the beautiful.

beauty is a feeling that is always fulfilling. it is precise, threatened by destruction at the slightest change. it is a vision of unattainable perfection. to feel beauty is to feel longing. and beauty in a work of art is a shared vision between the artist and the viewers of his creation. this sharing of vision is antithetical to the message of postmodernism. where the beautiful exists (ex: in nabokov's towers of words, in decomposing bits of 80s pop) it does so to be exposed as subjective, invalidated by the sublime "grand scheme of things".

likewise with tragedy--it implies an ideal if it is to fall short of it, and by doing so it is too limited in scope for postmodernism. the only tragedy postmodernism will admit to is the tragedy of uncertainty, of ontological isolation, of meaninglessness.

on the other hand, i think the ugly and the comic play a greater role in postmodernism than in most prior movements (and definitely share their role with the sublime more than any prior movement)--this is because ugliness and comedy are founded on transgression of some sort of norm. here too there is a risk of RECOGNIZING the ideal to be able to transgress. authors deal with this by treating the ugly and absurd as normal.

Seriously, though, I fucking cried when the mandala appeared in Dilbert 3.