• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am re-reading America The Book right now and want to re-read Simspson's and Philosophy soon.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by Daniel Wallace.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. The Stand (unabridged) by Stephen King.

2. The Counter-Creationism Handbook by Mark Isaak
[a collection of over 400 argument areas that occur in creationism-evolutionism debate, and a highlight of what scientific evidence exists that conflicts with creationism along with all the references to the actual books/studies/papers -- so it is actually a very very useful book, regardless of which side you are on!]

O

Oberon

Just finished Tolkien's Children of Hurin, prior to that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and am currently working through four C.S. Lewis titles in a single volume. I've done with Surprised by Joy and am now partway through Reflections on the Psalms. Before my recent Rowling jag I read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 for the first time, which makes me somewhat backward in that regard.

Trystorp

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm halfway through Hawkwood: Diabolical Englishman by Frances Stoner Saunders, a book about 14th century condottiere in Italy and John Hawkwood in particular.

I also just started Imperium by Robert Harris which is a novel about the political life of Cicero, purportedly written by his slave Tiro.

Mercurial

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w6
The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge - Vernor Vinge
The Crack in Space - Philip K. Dick
The Darkness that Comes Before - R. Scott Bakker
Troublemakers - Harlan Ellison

The Bakker book is a bit of a headache because after a wonderful opening, he ditches character development for a spew of political and geographic names and configurations that all have ambiguous personalities. I'm a little pissed because it started off so strong. Hopefully he quits the drive-by tagging and gives the reader a chance to look around. Right now, I'm not enjoying his linguistic orgy that really serves no purpose so far other than for him being able to say his fictitious language database trumps Tolkien's. Big #(&$%#ing deal.

The other books continue to blow my hair back.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
I don't read fiction when I'm writing my own, to avoid unintentional bleed-through. But when I was young, I read science fiction almost exclusively. Now I can't remember most of what I read, which was the intention, actually, bizarre as it sounds. But seeing Philip K. Dick's name, in particular, brought back some fond (if paranoid!) memories. Schizophrenia at its phantasmagoric best!

The picture below is of Naem after reading:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Great Divide by Studs Terkel- it's a whole book of interviews with random people
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim- David Sedaris- funny

mostly I read assigned readings for class though- and the news

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
The Nag Hammadi Library
Still reading Proust -- only two more volumes to go.

And in my to read pile:

The Quiet American
No Man's land
Tropic of Capricorn
Vineland
Naked Lunch
Of mice and men
Hajit Murat
Don Quioxte

I'm on a fiction buzz.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Children of Hurin by Tolkein

By the way, Cerpin, Don Quixote is the best!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

the book about Richard Kuklinski, who also has a documentary/interview

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
Nasty Bits - Anthony Bourdain
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
Tramp Abroad - Mark Twain

I like to keep multiple books going, makes using the bathroom more exciting :p

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Aristole's Metaphysics
Goethe's Faust
Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
This week...

I always have 3 books going... I don't know why I do that.
Anyway...

1) Please Don't Just Do What I Tell You (Do What Needs to be Done!) - Bob Nelson (Union folks drive me crazy)
2) Husbandry - Stephen Fried (so funny!)
3) My Bible (of course!)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I work in a bookstore, so whenever I actually have the time to read (rarely, nowadays), I really read. :p Now is, fortunately, one of those periods of times when I consume a book every couple of days. :)

I finished 'True Evil' by Greg Iles a few days ago, then finished 'Rigged' by Ben Mezrich last night.

I plan to get started on 'Mao's Last Dancer' by Li Cunxin tonight. I've been wanting to read that one for quite a while.