• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
After a semester of academic reading on aristotle, plato, rhetoric and semitoics, i am happily reading a piece of fluff...

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. It's the Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!

I've read the original and i'm not so sure this guy has.... I'm pretty sure he's just watched the movie and re-written it with the characters having to fight zombies AND overcome their pride and prejudice.... but really, who could resist?? :D

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ Oh gosh! I wanted to read that book so bad!! D: You just reminded me to go do my shopping on Amazon! THANKS! ;D
Have you ever read The Rising by Briane Keene? It's another lovely zombie book with lots of yummy gore action. Awesome plot too.

Oh, and currently I'm reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. :D
I put this book down a few months ago and just picked it up again, hehe.. Stoopid procrastination.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett:

This was actually one of my favorite books as a child, but I haven't read it in years. This time, as an adult, I was really struck by the fact that its strongly a Sleeping-Beauty story. (I never caught on that before.) Except the prince is a formerly sickly-looking semi-bratish girl. And the princess is a tantrum-throwing spoiled brat boy. And the fairy is a animal-loving "commoner". The king(dad) tries to protect the princess(Colin), by locking her(him) in ignorance, through detachment- but it is this "protection" which leaves Colin crippled by his fear.

I loves it.

It is through nuturing nature, recoaxing life into the garden that the characters allow nature to heal them (in a new reversal of chopping down the protective briar hedge).

Simply sublime.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Euginides;
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and other stories by F Scott Fitzgerald;
The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thompson;
The Beach by Alex Garland

...I like to read a lot of books simultaneously :D

S

Sniffles

Young Nietzsche: Becoming a Genius - Carl Pletsch

Has alot of good info on his personality. Real shame he renounced his faith.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
%7B9A26309D-53EA-44DB-BABE-CD1064EE2519%7DImg100.gif

I'm preparing for battle... :devil:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and other stories by F Scott Fitzgerald;

i just finished reading a big collection of Fitzgerald short stories. i liked them, but i sometimes felt like he was praising entitlement. however, he sometimes seemed to be cleverly and surreptitiously mocking entitlement. so i don't know.
and of course he also seems to be in love with the young, ambitious, self-made man. haha, i liked that aspect, but it was pretty amusing. :D

%7B9A26309D-53EA-44DB-BABE-CD1064EE2519%7DImg100.gif

I'm preparing for battle... :devil:

haha, nice. ;)
so is your neighbor overstepping their bounds? or are they hasslin' you?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
haha, nice. ;)
so is your neighbor overstepping their bounds? or are they hasslin' you?

I live next to two dinosaurs (thank God my neighbor on the other side is a classmate of mine and is cool as all get out) that are both passive aggressive backstabbers.

They are all "Hi therrrrrrre! :cheese: How are yoooooou? :D " And then they run off and talk shit about you other people.

Also, the husband is unecessarily rude to my wife about trivial things, never enough for me to warrant going over there and reading him the riot act, but enough for me to have strategically bothered him for the past year...and he has paid for it...but I am only beginning.

My first act of disrespect was to prune the branches of two huge oak trees in my back yard as high as I could go with a 17 pole saw. What came down from the canopy was ridiculous, massive branches of twisted limbs and big patches of leaves at the ends. I aligned them all in a massive formation in my front yard close to his propery line, but not quite on it. I let them sit there for about 5 weeks, and he huffed and puffed and pissed and moaned, and finally when he shut the hell up, I called the garbage company and had the boom truck come out to pick them up.

This time, my actions will be more long term. He gripes about plants all the time. He has removed almost every plant from his front and backyard as he does not want to deal with them. I have made mental notes of all the plants he hates most. I am designing a bed along my property line with his that strategically has all of his most hated specimens living happily amongst one and other. :devil:

Before I put the spade to the Earth however, I need to know the rules, hence the Nolo book, and of course my county's ordinances. I might be mean bastard at times, but I am not a lawbreaker... :whistling:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
haha, well played. :nice:
yeah, it will be worth so much more if you follow the 'rules' and do everything in accordance with regulations and ordinances, so that he has no legal recourse left to him. maybe the experience will mellow him out. if not, it still sounds like good times. :D

i lived in a neighborhood that had this obnoxious woman who was the self-appointed lawn guru. the neighborhood had no regulations on aesthtics - but if your lawn was anything but immaculate grass from house to curb, this woman would be on your case constantly. i mean, she was posting 'citations' on people's property for things like "too many weeds," "patchy grass," etc. she really acted like she owned the neighborhood. i got fed up with it and ripped out all my grass. replaced it with dirt and a cactus garden. :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe the experience will mellow him out. if not, it still sounds like good times. :D

Indeed, good times it shall be! I really do hope it mellows him out. I hate wasting my energy on needless bickering with ignornat people. It will be nice to know that he will soon have an opportunity to take out all his aggression on the banana plants, pampas grass, gardenia bushes, elephant ears, tropicanas, and various other odds and ends like succulents and a few seasonal plants that will look like shit the whole year except for a month or two when they are in immaculate bloom. All this is on his side of the house where his kitchen window is. I would pay much money for a "pissing angel" fountain to put in the midst of this bed as a "bird bath." :rofl1:

i got fed up with it and ripped out all my grass. replaced it with dirt and a cactus garden. :D

Your solution was priceless, and very inventive. :nice:

She sounds like a real sweet lady. :doh:

Ohhhh! You just gave me the idea to re-plant my prickly pear cactus in this bed! THANK YOU! It's been in a plastic green bucket for 10 years. I picked up a paddle of a huge one by a mailbox on a country roard (while wearing leather gloves of course) and threw it in the bucket and drove home. It has been there ever since, and it is now HUGE. :happy:

Cheers!

:cheers:

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom by Qanta Ahmed

Very interesting read. I recommend it.

Restricted Japanese Phrase Book by the US War Department (from 1944)

"The information contained in restricted documents and the essential characteristics of restricted material may be given to any person known to be in the service of the United States and to persons of undoubted loyalty and discretion who are cooperating in Government work, but will not be communicated to the public or to the press except by authorized military public relations agencies." :rolli:

It's actually a pretty decent phrase book for its purposes. The pronunciation guide is TERRIBLE though, it bastardizes the Japanese language.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"A Thief of Time" by Tony Hillerman.
Good book so far. There are small annoyances, of course, but overall it's very well done.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism, translated by Julia Annas and Jonathan Barnes

The Modes of Scepticism, by Julia Annas and Jonathan Barnes

The Clarity of God's Existence: the Ethics of Belief After the Enlightenment, by Owen Anderson

Modern Times, by Paul M. Johnson

1st & 2nd Corinthians, by Paul

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
"The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King
"At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft
"Kui Raudpea tuli" by Enn Kippel.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Catch 22-awesome book so far, some laugh out loud parts (at least for me)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Catch 22-awesome book so far, some laugh out loud parts (at least for me)

It is an awesome book. :yes:And yeah, I laughed out loud too.

I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. A good read.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I'm working on all of the following:

The Ghost in the Machine - Arthur Koestler (my favorite atm)
Notes on the Underground, An Essay on Technology, Society, and the Imagination - Rosalind Williams
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Zygon Journal of Religion & Science Vol 39. Num. 4

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Haven't written in a while cause pretty much the only book I read during spring quarter was A Brief History of Time (Stephen Hawking, awesome). I started my summer reading pile and am starting to think I have horrible selecting instincts because I've gone through quite a bunch of stinkers. I just want to read a GOOD book, dammit! I wanna laugh and cry and be slightly disorientedly dazed for a day afterwards before I even start to think of how to comprehend the thoughts its given me.

1. The Clouds by Aristophanes: Kinda goofier than I thought it would be, but mildly amusing at parts with the slapstick- otherwise some over-the-top-message (that's somewhat self-serving as well), not really interesting unless you care about the juvenile out/infighting between various philosophy schools of classical Athens. 1.5/5
2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel: I don't know how you make a fight on a lifeboat between a tiger and a shark boring, but this manages, and it's even the most exciting part! Snooze-inducingly unbelievable both in message and events. The main character doesn't seem to learn anything from his "unique" experiences, and neither do we- nothing that isn't cliche at this point- and not even particularly true or deep exploration of those either. 1.5/5
3. Rewind by Laura Downer: Abhorrent message- I don't care how you are "manipulated"/"seduced"(not) or how morally gray your victim is, stalking and violence is not okay. Very disturbing that the author doesn't seem to see this and presents us a sappy love story between said stalker and a third party (generic artsy nice girl) right at the end. Characters and situations largely drawn out of bad teen soap operas, ridiculous cliche-"shocking" teenage behaviors, and unearned attempts at heartstring pulling- spare me. 0.5/5
4. Tokyo Year Zero by David Pearce: An interesting premise (police detective in post-WWII Tokyo) that is botched by its pretentious attempts that manage to land it into several hateful literary genre categories: 1) historical fiction that appears to solely exist for the author to show off extensive period research much to the boredom of everyone else who hasn't written a thesis on the topic; 2) gazillion page stylistic narrator-going-crazy post-modern stuff (you are not Fight Club); 3) un-illuminating crime gore. And I'm sure I could name more if I had bothered to read more, but I didn't. 0/5

And one thankfully not stinky one:
5. Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman: I loved Korman's I Want to Go Home! as a kid, and while this book is not quite as hilarious, I did laugh out loud several times. Believable teenagers (though Korman's slight behindness in technology/slang does show sometimes), understandable conflicts, AND some serious actual exploration of the guilt and ties of family and blood money and friendship (in the mob and the FBI). Cute, sweet, and proactive characters you can root for, downside being the ending seems incomplete (guess the novel was always intended to have a sequel). Very refreshing after the above awfulness. 4/5

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"The Looming Tower"

for a school project...