• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Ingrid in grids

I recently started reading My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante, which is the first book of the Neapolitan Novels series. I had the series recommended to me by a few people. I've heard the first book is a bit of a slow burn, but the later books make it all worthwhile. Has anybody been reading these?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm currently reading Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine by Alexandra Kleeman

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rereading The Stranger by Camus. And probably Sisyphus too if I can find it again or the library has a copy.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rereading The Stranger by Camus. And probably Sisyphus too if I can find it again or the library has a copy.

I'm literally just about to read The Stranger. )does the fact that you're rereading it means it's good?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm literally just about to read The Stranger. )does the fact that you're rereading it means it's good?

i am a biased, shamless camus fanboy and the myth of sisyphus + the stranger are the two books that single handedly made me so.

The stranger is an interesting narrative that encapsulates a lot of existential concepts camus is known for which is elaborated on in the other book i mentioned. once you start and when i'm sober i'd love to talk more about it!

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
The Bones of You. Can't remember the author. It's not very memorable (details about the book I mean).

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle. It's good, and the MC might be an INFP.
Beauty by Hubert & Kerascoët. Just started this.

The Irresistible Novel by Jeff Gerke. Meh. It's average for a book on writing. I wouldn't recommend it.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i am a biased, shamless camus fanboy and the myth of sisyphus + the stranger are the two books that single handedly made me so.

The stranger is an interesting narrative that encapsulates a lot of existential concepts camus is known for which is elaborated on in the other book i mentioned. once you start and when i'm sober i'd love to talk more about it!

I finished reading it. At first I thought it was boring and stupid, but it got really interesting after part 2.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Brain Maker by Dr. David Perlmutter, neurologist and author of Grain Brain.

Really interesting stuff on the role of the gut in general health and mental health.

Elective Cesarean delivery and formula are really bad for children.... They don't develop the proper gut microbes...

Sugars in general and carbs are so bad.... The modern American diet is killing us and the pharmaceutical industry isn't the solution it would have us believe...

Oh, and obesity isn't about willpower but having the wrong mix of bacteria in the gut.... And too much antibiotic use....

Could it be that much of illness in America is related to our crappy diets and high fructose corn syrup?

Interesting stuff.... need to do a radical change in the family menu.....

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
The Irresistible Novel by Jeff Gerke. Meh. It's average for a book on writing. I wouldn't recommend it.

Can't say I've read any of Jeff Gerke's novels, but his 'Plot versus Character' is really good and useful.

As to what I am currently reading:

'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu. Translation by Thomas Cleary.

Really enjoy this book. A lot of that has to do with all the added commentary from ancient Chinese leaders, and their own interpretations of Sun Tzu's statements.

'Herding Dogs: Progressive Training' by Vergil S. Holland

A Christmas present from a close friend. Very useful as far as I've seen. Hopefully, it will come to use one day. :)

'The Darkness That Comes Before' by R. Scott Bakker

Bought this book because I was looking for really, really dark Fantasy, but I am not far enough in yet to determine whether or not it is dark enough. Anyone read it? Thoughts?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Fastest Things on Wings: Rescuing Hummingbirds in Hollywood. Very fascinating account of a hummingbird rescuer in Hollywood. Did you know that hummingbirds will stab other hummingbirds through their hearts to defend turf or that you have to change the sugar water in the feeder every 3 days? If you like those little birds, you'll love this book.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Currently -- The Waves, Virginia Woolf. So far her writing has bewitched me. I also finished Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet and Rigg's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I highly recommend both. Wonderfully written.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mila 2.0 Renegade by Debra Driza

The writing is very casual which can be quite charming, but it doesn't always flow.

Fuzz

MBTI Type
@#%$
Enneagram
some crazy ol' Chick Tracts about Jesus & dinosaurs littering the sidewalk lol

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aaron Johnson: The Road to Turkish Language Reform and the Rise of Turkish Nationalism

This thesis examines the concurrent changes in Turkish identity and in the Turkish language from the early developments in the period of the modernizing Tanzimat reforms to the Anatolian Turkish nationalism and the alphabet and language reform of the Republican era. It looks specifically at how language issues played a large role in the development of Turkish national identity towards the end of the Ottoman period, and also examines the development of Ottomanism and Islamism. Finally it looks at how the desire to promote secular Turkish nationalism in place of the old Ottoman-Islamic identity was the driving force behind the Kemalist script and language reforms and discusses some of the consequences of these planned changes to the Turkish language and to the basis of Turkish identity.