• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't actively read any sort of book for... it could be years. But that ended today when I began reading the Bible of GabeN.

One of the verses touched me so much I wrote it down on my left sleeve:
"For GabeN so loved the world that he gave his one and only Steam, so that whoever believes in him shall not witness 30 FPS but have eternal frames and Half-Life 3.” —Gordon 3:16

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Looking forward to starting Meditations on Violence once this ridiculous week is over.

If I had more time and free credits, I would add a criminology minor.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Bell Jar, although it's pretty damn melancholy. I might switch to something more energetic for a while.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've began reading the Fault in our stars, because I want to find out why people are crying about this story. Seems too much like a book for teenagers

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been meaning to finish American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis for a while now.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm finishing up Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich right now. Fantastic read. I was actually assigned to read this for a class of mine I'm taking this semester, but I love autobiographies and this one is something I can't believe I haven't read before now.

Also, I recently finished A Child Called It and The Lost Boy, by David Pelzer. I have the third book in the autobiographical trilogy, A Man Named Dave, though I haven't read it yet because of various school readings. Very good, but very sad, books about his life.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. I love her writing style. (It's a memoir)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Force Decisions: A Citizen's Guide to Understanding How Police Determine Appropriate Use of Force by Rory Miller.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Corpus delicti of Juli Zeh

Interesting idea for dystopia. Health of society absolutely controlled by government. Any actions which can cause disease are illegal (cigarettes or being in the unsafe zones like... forest), there are obligatory examinations of health.
Style average so far, but I like the idea very much.

93JC

"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace.

So far I feel... duped. Cheated, maybe. Sold a false bill of goods. I bought the tenth anniversary printing featuring a foreword by Dave Eggers. In retrospect I wish I hadn't read that foreword:

In commissioning this foreword, the publisher wanted a very brief and breezy essay that might convince a new reader of Infinite Jest that the book is approachable, effortless even -- a barrel of monkeys' worth of fun to read. Well. It's easy to agree with the former, more difficult to agree with the latter. The book is approachable, yes, because it doesn't include complex scientific or historical content, nor does it require any particular expertise or erudition. As verbose as it is, and as long as it is, it never wants to punish you for some knowledge you lack, nor does it wasn't too send you to the dictionary every few pages.

The book is everything Eggers says it isn't. It absolutely punishes you for some knowledge you lack, and it sends you to the dictionary not every few pages but at least once every page.

I'm supremely skeptical now. I fear I've wasted money on a three-pound hunk of dead tree that, so far, is terribly pretentious and a slog to wade through.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The Martian

It's okay. I think it lacks a degree of technical rigor, is written simply, but is nonetheless an enjoyable and funny thought experiment that feels early Crichton-y, who was my favorite author.

The movie was good, but jumped the shark at the end, I'm hoping the book adds some context to what was an otherwise absurd "Iron Man" scene.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
“You simple oaf!" she implored. "I never loved you! Now begone. Begone!”

Her monstrous "captor" seized her and she tore away her frail garments. I felt my heart tear away with them; and I watched, eyes filling with tears like pools of blood, as she pressed her fevered body against her abominable "kidnapper." In another moment they had bounded off beyond my reach, but my wretched heart allowed me nothing more than to fall, sobbing, anguished beyond belief. My mind filled with self-loathing as I recalled the love I had wasted on a woman who is now repulsive to me – the sleepless nights spent tossing and turning as wanton images of love-making and my beloved Lady Loomas ran unbidden through my head. The thought of her, just a dwelling away, sharing her body with weaker, lesser males - men who were beneath me, the mighty Zombiac… beneath me in -

”Fool!” I stammered, pounding my fist into the frozen earth. “Oh, Zombiac! You are such a fool!”

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
Forbidden Colours by Yukio Mishima

It's incredible so far. I'm enjoying it more than I did his other works. That's not to say his other books are bad, but this is some other level stuff.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gamelife

[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION] [MENTION=1592]Gish[/MENTION] [MENTION=22098]Mane[/MENTION] [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] [MENTION=21883]sunyata[/MENTION] may also be interested in

Gamelife by Michael W. Clune

0865478287.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I am enjoying the memoir and the kind of ekphrastic treatment Clune gives each game.