• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ghettocide: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker, which is about an English grad student who goes off with the fairies for a magical makeover and a Cinderella wedding before beginning to learn that all is not what it seems. Really liked it! So many loose ends though ... I need a sequel.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Afterwards, I'm gonna reread Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy for the first time in years. :D

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama. Volume 11.

Disasters at Sea: A Visual History of Infamous Shipwrecks by Liz Mechem. I hadn't heard of most of these. One of the more unusual shipwrecks was the General Grant. Someone should make a movie about it.

Netflix has Titanic's Final Mystery and Air Disasters, the latter of which has an episode on TAM Airlines Flight 3054. While this is all interesting, it does put a damper on my desire to travel.

My library doesn't have any decent books about train wrecks. I shouldn't be reading that stuff, but now I'm curious.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

220px-WhoFearsDeathbook.jpg

If you haven't read this book already, do it as soon as you can. It's amazing.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are your favorite fantasy novels, dear senza?

This is now one of them. It might even be one I come back to, which is rare for me with fantasy novels. It's usually enough for me to consume the story and be done with it.

My fantasy trajectory has been pretty traditional and I don't think there's any point mentioning the usual suspects, so I won't. I've recently started seeking out contemporary fantasy/magical realism so I'll list a few that stood out instead.

aliftheunseen.gif

1. Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson. Hackers, genies and magical books in the Arab Spring. Awesome.

Mr_Penumbra's_24-Hour_Bookstore.jpg

2. Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. A laid off graphic designer gets himself a new job and stumbles upon a bookstore, a readers' cult ... and yes, more magical books, in the process. I have a thing for magical books. Warning: No magic and no other worlds. This is good old 21st-century America all the way. Still worth it.

51k5LpPja3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Two immigrants meet, fight the bad guys, and fall in love in turn-of-the-century New York. Neither is human (consider the title).

Thinking-Womans-Guide-to-Real-Magic-med.jpg

4. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker. Neurotic grad student leaves heartbreak and academic drudgery behind to go off with the fairies. A surly magician rescues her from a life of beauty and luxury.

The-Magicians-trilogy.png

5. The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman. It's been 15 years since you first encountered your childhood fantasy favorites and they want to show you they've grown up too. All the characters are whiny, self-absorbed and amoral, none more so than the hero. This is depressed Harry Potter/Narnia on antidepressants and self-consciously post-modern and derivative to boot. I hated it but it was oddly satisfying to read.

I just started reading A Discovery of Witches, the first book in Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy. Don't like it so far. It's basically Twilight for the "intellectually inclined." Ugh.

PerdidoStreetStation%281stEd%29.jpg

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville looks FAR more promising. Quick snapshot (since I've only read the first chapter or so): Gritty steampunk in a deliciously grimy, decaying city. I think it's going to be good.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Back in 87, our English teacher gave us a Scholastic Magazine called Literary Cavalcade. Each issue centered on a literary piece and would publish several pages from that work. I remember reading and liking excerpts from Mark Salzman's book "Iron and Silk". I ordered it a couple days ago and it's here. I hope it's as good as I remember it.