• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I envy, so much is before you :)

" The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

Oh Im watching it too. My mom was super duper nice and bought me a subscription because I didn't fail any classes this semester. I wasn't sure at first about it as there were so many characters introduced at once that everything was just sort of a mess in my head, but now that I pretty much figured what is going on I am really enjoying how it is playing out.

Poor Ned... Ugh, he was such a good guy and pretty much the voice of reason betrayed by a Kingdom he swore to protect. Ugh, just not fair. I enjoy it on one hand and I do understand the strategy behind some of the kills because of powerplays, but ugh it is just such a twisted world. I am already getting way too absorbed in it though, this is why I did not want to get involved, I get ridiculously obsessed with things. Usually I prefer to read the books before seeing an on screen adaption because there generally is just so much more buried in books than in movies and movies seem almost like an easy way out, but I just could not resist.

I could probably talk about Game of Thrones for a while... So I'll stop and save you.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
"Hard Line: The Republican Party and U.S. Foreign Policy since World War II "by Colin Dueck.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Still there is more plot in books and narration is interesting.
Usually I prefer to read the books before seeing an on screen adaption because there generally is just so much more buried in books than in movies and movies seem almost like an easy way out, but I just could not resist.

I could probably talk about Game of Thrones for a while... So I'll stop and save you.

I understand:) I waited to watch season 2 until I read books, but it wasn't easy.

I wait for the 6th... and wish Martin a lot of health;)

Ingrid in grids

" The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

I hope you enjoy this. It's my favourite novel.

I just started The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacob. So far so good, but my reading is slow at the moment, and I probably won't finish it any time soon.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I hope you enjoy this. It's my favourite novel.

Yes I enjoy it.

Creation of characters is unusual. At the beginning they are like simple sketches( only most characteristic traits), but then as plot progresses they are filled with motives and then suddenly we have the real people (hope you know what I mean)

I also like how blankly honest is Kundera when he asks whether the authors could only write about themselves and says that his characters are the versions of himself that crossed the line he never crossed. Interesting idea.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm listening to an audio book on youtube. This will be my 3rd go round :D The implications are so far ranging and complex while simultaneously encompassing that it leaves my imagination stunned with all the possibilities to consider (hence 3rd). It's quite the paradigm shift to my worldview in many regards.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stalled out on Boswell's Life of Johnson around page 120 in my edition...a couple of months ago.
Reading Marcel Proust In Search of Lost Time (Vol. 1, Swann's Way) in translation...never gonna make it before it's due at the library again.
Also reading (and will finish easily) QB VII by Leon Uris.

Trying to track down Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of The Wind, and the Pern science fiction novels (would like to read them in order, the first ones are not at the library, I may have to try Half Price Books...)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Found this sort of on accident at Powell's.

BMImg_33646_33646_Heinrich_mind_web.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far. Octopuses are not my only obsession; I absolutely love ravens and crows.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nevermore.
Not the least obeisance made he, not a minute stopped or stayed he, but with mien of lord or lady perched above my chamber door. Little jerk.

I used to have a recording of Basil Rathbone reading that poem. It was pretty cool. I wonder what happened to it.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not the least obeisance made he, not a minute stopped or stayed he, but with mien of lord or lady perched above my chamber door. Little jerk.

I used to have a recording of Basil Rathbone reading that poem. It was pretty cool. I wonder what happened to it.

:wubbie: on the epithet "little jerk".

Reminds me of this:

...except that, right after Gandalf knocks Denethor down, he should look down at him, and mutter, "Asshole."

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I was a bit nervous to read this one because of how much I enjoyed Gone Girl, but so far it has been alright. It is a book though that is going to take me a while to read, because I keep getting sucked into what the author is trying to say and how shes says it that causes me to detatch from the book and forget to move forward. I think only the best sort of authors are able to do that though.