• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf

melomania

MBTI Type
INFP
Women Who Run With The Wolves by Clarissa Estes

A collection of myths that all involve the "wild woman" archetype

it's pretty f*ing rad so far!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Other Side of the Couch by Gary Small. Psychiatrist shares some of his more memorable cases. I'm really enjoying the tale of the doctor who's about to marry a Disney obsessed woman and he's terrified of her Pinocchio themed living room.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams

It's been meh/alright so far. Gotta say I'm liking HHGTG/Terry Pratchett's books more right now though.

Wistful Muffin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just starting on "Candide, ou l'Optimisme" by Voltaire.
I'm not sure what I think of it yet but hopefully it's a good read.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The Thirtymile Fire by John N. Maclean

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided to zig and read Bacchae, a Greek play by Euripides. That's some good stuff. Basically Dionysus rolls into his hometown, and when they don't want to give him his due, he fucks everybody over in the most horrific way through bands of frenzied drunken female postulants. The best part is, the king who denies him is a generally stand up guy and does so on a very rational, reasonable basis and would be completely right to do so in any sane universe.

Next: The Quiet American, Graham Greene

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Book of Barely Imagined Beings, by Caspar Henderson. It's like a medieval bestiary (which I've always found fascinating and hilarious) except it's about actual animals that share our planet, and not about geese that grow on trees.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Alternating between Jung, Crowley, the Tao Te Ching, statistics notes, and I'm meant to be starting a novel called The Book of Chaos. But really I don't read much, I just wish I did. So I get through a small section then want to go to sleep.

nos4a2

Just read Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (writer of the acclaimed Fables graphic novel series). Four characters (1 human boy & 3 talking animals), each from a different world, find themselves in another world, band together, and are on the run immediately from the sinister Cutters (who use magic swords to change people into p.c. drones). Great suspense on different levels--there's the chase, which is almost nonstop, and then there's the suspense of awaited revelations (where are they? why? etc.). I’d like to see Willingham write more prose fiction.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Federalist Edition Volume 2, Number 1 Winter 2015

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. It's sentimental stuff about people's lives, little essays collected from an advice column. I'm enjoying it even though advice column stuff makes me feel uncomfortable, like a voyeur. Or that could be one of the reasons I enjoy it, getting glimpses of the things people struggle with, the things they're afraid to talk about.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Not sure I'll finish this one. The main character's problems bore me. The setup is contrived for my liking. Disappointing. I'd heard good things about it. I like the supernatural parts, but the characters, setting, premise, and other aspects aren't engaging enough.

Black Hole by Charles Burns. So it's...uh...yeah. Stuff's happening. I don't know what to make of this one yet. I can't even tell what it's driving toward, which is unusual. I don't like these characters, either, but the mystery and general WTFness are pulling me along.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm reading the Foundation novels from Asimov. Finally. Don't know why it took me so long, they're very good and almost feel lighthearted, young.

Older science fiction is fun, in the sense that it's interesting seeing how those in the 50s, 60s, 70s saw humanity and technology progressing, only to see a trajectory be completely different.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm reading the Foundation novels from Asimov. Finally. Don't know why it took me so long, they're very good and almost feel lighthearted, young.

Older science fiction is fun, in the sense that it's interesting seeing how those in the 50s, 60s, 70s saw humanity and technology progressing, only to see a trajectory be completely different.

Even in the darker story arcs in the Trilogy there was that feeling they had back then of technological optimism.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
This horrible Danielle Steel book that my english teacher assigned. Education now a days...

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Great Prostate Hoax: the guy who discovered PSA (prostate specific antigen) says that the PSA test is a scam and causes tremendous damage to men.