• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15246]SD45T-2[/MENTION] "Krauthammer" may be the best name I've ever heard.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the Hogfather... which I read most years between thanksgiving and christmas :)

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Proust Was a Neuroscientist, Jonah Lehrer

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Cured: How the Berlin Patients Defeated HIV and Forever Changed Medical Science by Nathalia Holt

Encircling its nose lay a tiny clear plastic mask, providing the mouse with isoflurane, a powerful anesthetic capable of keeping the animal motionless while I performed the risky procedure. But the problem was, the animal was not motionless, at least not entirely. Just as I leaned in to inject it with a highly concentrated, lab-adapted aggressive strain of HIV, the mouse jerked. In that moment, the unthinkable happened: I accidentally poked my finger with the needle.

Oops.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw this at a used bookstore, and I almost bought it. Because LOOK AT IT.
sasqtch.jpg

I love that there's a person on this planet named R. Leo Sprinkle.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives

Battleaxe (Axis trilogy) - Goddamn is this brutal, I'm only in the first few chapters though.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished The Lost City of Z by David Grann. Between reading that book and watching too many episodes of River Monsters, I can safely say that I will not be visiting the Amazon EVER.

Also, I just found out that Percy Harrison Fawcett, the seemingly indestructible explorer who mysteriously vanished while searching for this lost city, will be portrayed in an upcoming film by none other than Benedict Cumberbatch. Because the Cumberbatch is everywhere.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
i tend to just read the classics over and over again for several reasons.

First, the classics are so dense that reading them once gives you like 10% of what is in there.

Second, the classics basically are the origin of all modern tropes in cinema and modern literature. There is nothing new in today's culture except for a few things in new forms of art whereby they present the essence of old tropes in new forms.
To illustrate this example, one chapter in don Quixote is the equivalent of an entire decade of seasons for the Simpsons or any modern work of literature for that matter either.

The equation is Lord of the Rings = 10,000,000^100(Harry Potter)

One stanza in The Odyssey, one play of Shakespeare, and one chapter in Huckleberry Finn is worth 1,000,000 pieces of modern literature. By the way...I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare but I will read him.

That being said occasionally I will read some of this junk-food literature...I prefer to read whatever the universe mystically drops in my lap when it comes to this cheap form of mental stimulation. I tend to follow the signs.

For example, I'm reading Darkheart at the moment because before I saw the book, that day, I heard the word on the radio in an unrelated context and referencing something I didn't quite catch.

But that is the way of the zen master. Chose your ways wisely.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Up to date with Saga so I'm finally going to properly start reading Sartre's Being and Nothingness, the last time I tried I wasn't aware I needed to be near a dictionary to get through it :mellow: Definitely going to take a while to get through, but I'm determined! (for now.)

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Schema Therapy by Jeffrey E. Young, Janet S. Klosko and Marjorie E. Weishaar

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finished Hunger by Knut Hamsun, which was awesome. I'd recommend it.

Also read We the Animals by Justin Torres. It's not my style. Good thing it's short.

Currently rereading The Picture of Dorian Gray. I hated this book in high school, but maybe that was the wrong time for me to read it. It's fine so far.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Island by Aldous Huxley. It's supposed to be a spiritual successor/answer to Brave New World.

Also, gotta say that I love y'all are putting the book titles in italics.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished Vineland by Thomas Pynchon. It definitely had its moments, but was a mess.

Now:
Letters to a Young Poet - Rainer Maria Rilke
The History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russel

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of States by Arthur Laffer and others

A look into how tax policy affects various economic metrics. The chapter on California vs Texas is hilarious.