• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

st-t-toat

the last ape standing (walter) - compress our last 200,000 years and then weep; we almost didn't make it - hair's breathe stuff - but we did; cue ... neoteny and the skipping of the hardwiring ... well, most of it;

st-t-toat

oxford figures (fauvel) - just like "the other place" oxford really does figure! here one has it all ... oxford | math | book! so, just be be happy & take it to ... bed! you will NOT be disappointed!

st-t-toat

the unnatural history of the sea (roberts) - think 75% of the planet ... think 0.006 per cent eco protection zones ... think total shifting baseline ignorance ... think lilliputian fish size averages ... think ecological catastrophe ... think barbarians on the high seas ... that's us ... got it!

st-t-toat

into the cool (sagan) - one Rule to rule them all, one Rule to find them, one Rule to bring them all and in the darkness bind them! life the universe and everything at entropy's edge - of course artifical life had this well covered a while ago;

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just finished Black Hearts by Jim Frederick. Outstanding. :worthy:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Stories by Henry James

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Remarks Remade - The Story of R.E.M. by Tony Fletcher, which seems good so far. It's pretty objective and straightforward, not sensationalistic like a lot of rock bios.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Howards End by E. M. Forster

Haven't read anything which isn't either an academic text or a light, frothy paperback for a long time. It's been surprisingly difficult to go back to a more elevated sort of fiction but also really satisfying.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Firestorm by Nevada Barr, Playback by Raymond Chandler and So You Want to Become a Park Ranger by Richard Boyer.

Richard Boyer seems like a nice man but I wonder if he self published and if anyone actually pays more than three dollars for this book. It was like he was going for the effect of All Things Bright and Beautiful or All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott (wonderfully written memoirs of a British country veterinarian in the mid 20th century)....but no, no, it's not like that at all. It's like reading your retired great uncle Morts blog, or something the park service would include for a free gift to new trainees.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Philology: The Forgotten Origins of the Modern Humanities by James Turner
The Language Wars: A History of Proper English by Henry Hitchings
Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty
The Search for Modern China by Jonathan D. Spence
The Myth of Nations: The Medieval Origin of Europe by Patrick J. Geary
ASOIAF: A Clash of Kings by GRRM

And a bunch of books on programming and IT.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Loved it. It's a rare and wonderful experience to identify deeply with characters who are actually very little like me. Something to do with circumstances and millennial anxieties, I guess.

Started another zeitgeist-y book today ... Dataclysm: Who We Are (When We Think No One's Looking) by Christian Rudder. A chapter in, I've learned so far that I've been over the hill for the last six years. :mellow:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Consider Phlebas by Iaian Banks.

Beginning: Horza is being held in a sewage tank, charged with crimes of state. His wrists are manacled to the wall and his legs are similarly encumbered. The tank slowly fills with sewage, closer and closer to his mouth, and then, ever so slowly, above the nostrils. Horza's lungs are bursting for a breath of fresh air when suddenly there is a flash of light. He wonders, Is this what it's like to die?

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On Identity by Amin Maalouf
First Love, Last Rites by Ian McEwan

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman. I now know more than I ever desired to know about the fourteenth century.

Now I'm reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It's one of the few Bryson books I haven't read, and I heard it's being made into a movie.

One of the reviews on the cover made me laugh. According to Christopher Lehmann-Haupt of the New York Times, reading this book is "the best way of escaping into nature". I'm no Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I'm pretty sure there's a better way of escaping into nature: actually going out and escaping into nature.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution by Walter Isaacson

Loitering: New and Collected Essays by Charles D’Ambrosio

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves by Stephen Grosz

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics by Charles Krauthammer.

I especially appreciate his love of border collies. :D