• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
First the family
then the world
or maybe just that solitary but comfortable bean-bag chair in the corner
The husband is actually enough. If he's reading the books, too, he won't mind my buying them. :devil:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The husband is actually enough. If he's reading the books, too, he won't mind my buying them. :devil:

i also adore " The Martian Chronicles " by Ray Bradbury

S

Sniffles

Some books I've been glancing over recently:

The Universal Exception: Selected Writings - Slavoj Zizek

I must confess to this being my first introduction to Zizek. He has some interesting essays concerning issues of the contemporary world, including multiculturalism. His essay on a Leftist case for Eurocentrism was rather interesting.

Eclipse of God: Studies in the Relation Between Religion and Philosophy - Martin Buber.

A rather interesting take on how modern philosophy deals with the issue of God, from one of my favorite thinkers.

Buber outlines the main thesis of the book, IMO, rather early in the book. He recounts the Jewish legend about how after being cast out of Eden, Adam and Eve were frightened upon seeing the sun set for the first time. They feared the approaching darkness as if it meant the end of everything. This continued all through the night untill dawn the next day.

Modern man(following Nietzsche's lead) have falsely proclaimed the death of God, when in fact it's merely only the eclipse of God.

Churchill, Hitler, and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World - Pat Buchanan.

I can understand the argument that maybe Britain's leaders acted a bit rashly in their war gurantees to Poland and other countries; rather than pursuing other possible geo-political options(like containment for example). However, I still have problems understanding the argument that Britain's war gurantees actually forced Hitler into attacking Poland. Exactly how the hell does that happen? If anything, such war gurantees should've made Hitler more cautious about pursuing an aggressive solution to the Danzig issue.

Religion and the Rise of Western Culture by Christopher Dawson. This is my first introduction to the great Catholic historian.

June 1941: Hitler and Stalin - John Lukacs. Another fine book from one of my favorite historians concerning the origins of the Eastern Front in WWII, plus the relationship between Hitler and Stalin and what role it had in shaping the nature of that conflict.

Warlords: An Extraordinary Re-Creation of World War II Through the Eyes and Minds of Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, And Stalin by Simon Berthon and Joanna Potts

It deals with the complex and complicated diplomatic dealings between the four major leaders of the war: Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt.

They even made a documentary series based on the book.

Mole

Permabanned
"Riches for the Poor: the Clemente program in the Humanities", by Earl Shorris.

jungie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Stasiland by Anna Funder
about the Stasi and what happened after the wall came down

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I want to read Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie next, despite the waiting list of books I already have.

Has anyone read this? Worth getting?

---

http://kuvaton.com/kuvei/sivua_ei_loydy.jpg

Bleh, attempted reading it when I 14, never got into it. It could have been due to my age, but if I recall, it just wasn't my style, also, (and I've only come to realize this at a much later date), I don't really like him as a person/persona, or his wife. :/

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Rules of Office Politics by Rob Yeung.

cheers,
Ian

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I recently read:

Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin.

It's essentially a history of the human body (I think that's even the subtitle) and describes lots of odd little evolutionary vestiges of our ancestory (e.g. why we get hernias, why we hiccup, how the bones of the face develop, etc.)

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl.

I read this a couple years ago and loved it. I read it last weekend twice in two sittings. Just do yourself a favor and go read it.

The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow.

About making all those weird, counter-intuitive facts from probability intuitive again. Focused mainly on how and why people misuse probability and statistics, not really on developing any theory. Still pretty good.

The Stranger by Albert Camus.

Amazing. It's short enough to easily read in a day, and I totally recommend it to anyone out there.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enchantress of Florence - Salman Rushdie

Anti-Oedipus - Deleuze and Guattari

Peoplewatching - Desmond Morris <--- must-read for MBTIc members!

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
When Kids Can't Read, What Teachers Can Do - Kylene Beers

I imagine that this sounds kind of boring to everybody else, but it's actually a really great read.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
7d_8.JPG