• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

J1129

MBTI Type
INFJ
I own that one. Good read. Can't say I've stumbled across anyone else who's read it before though!

That's cool!!! :D Right now I'm also reading the Bhagavad-Gita, forgot to mention that before.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
That's cool!!! :D Right now I'm also reading the Bhagavad-Gita, forgot to mention that before.

Whose translation? (Assuming you haven't learnt Sanskrit....)

I'm onto another Brautigan collection. On a rip right now--seems like I've finally found a new fiction writer I wholly enjoy.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Okay, The Threadkiller has returned to revive this thread, like Isis bringing the wooden phallus to Osiris.....

er....

I have read in the last couple weeks:
  • Writing Personal Essays
  • A Confederate General from Big Sur
  • Dreaming of Babylon
  • Forbidden Faith

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Just finished reading The Fountainhead. I need some fluff now, so I am going to pick up book four of the Outlander series - Drums of Autumn.

rivercrow, is Dreaming of Babylon the Richard Brautigan novel?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Yes, it is.

I am on a Brautigan rip. I have 4 more of his novels on the plate for the next couple weeks and two Brautigan memoirs (one by a friend, one by his daughter). When I was in Boone in May, I polished off _Trout Fishing_, _The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster_, and _In Watermelon Sugar_.

I also have a Glasser and a Hillman to read over the next week.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" by Daniel Dennett... offering plausible explanation for a natural evolution of religion.

Very very interesting so far, and I like his tone compared to Christopher Hitchens' typical antagonism -- he is much more leveled and "fair" in his approach to the topic. But I'm going to have to reread the center part again; right now, I totally follow what is being said, but I'm having trouble recalling what I've read.

--

Cafe, where did you get this?!!

cafe.gif

I think I just found new wallpaper for my home computer!

hereandnow

MBTI Type
INTP
Compact Stars: Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics, and General Relativity by Glendenning

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will be reading speaker for the dead and xenocide (sequels to ender's game, by orson scott card) as soon as I get the initiative to pick them up at the library, where they're waiting for me.

And also catch-22, when I pick it up, and also some book about string theory I'm struggling through, and I'm also 'reading' a book of "brain-exercises" or something like that. And I started reading a mindless Xanth book by piers anthony, but I got bored quickly. And I'm re-reading Redwall, too.

(I like to read many books concurrently, as you can see. I get too bored of one book if it takes longer than one session to read)

Updated:

-read speaker for the dead, xenocide and ender's shadow
-haven't touched catch 22 for a few weeks because I haven't felt like giving it a second chance yet, it's started so boring
-next up is the last book in the ender's game saga...after that I'll read the rest of the ender's shadow series

Last edited:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I just read something that I read many years ago as a teenager, that I found very cheaply in a second hand store.

The chronicles of the Jerusalem Man, by Gemmell.

Nostalgic, for me.

-Geoff

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Vacation time, meaning loads of reading!

Just finished reading Steppenwolf and The Picture of Dorian Gray. Both excellent, Steppenwolf is a manifest for INXXs in a certain way.

En cours:
Walden (Thoreau) - must read! a IXXP manifesto.
1984 - I eventually had to read it.

I bought Dan Simmon's Hyperion for my trip back to France. Another classic. I am catching up on must-read gems and classics...

mooshenh

MBTI Type
O+
Blue Highways

A novel narrative. Or another way to put it; a novel non-novel, with pictures.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
ATM, I have _Jung's Typology in Perspective_ in front of me, along with my pencil and page flags. Good read. Then I will read what I said I'd be reading (which are all hard covers and annoying to carry).

R

RDF

Steppenwolf is a manifest for INXXs in a certain way.

One of my all-time favorites. I like to read it when I'm stuck in a rut. It jump-starts me and gets me looking forward to a big change. It's also the main reason I got interested in ballroom dancing.

:party:

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
A fantasy series entitled Water with three books (on the third). It's a story of the city of Atlantis with the main character being a female mermaid. It's enjoyable.

The Old Man and The Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Santiago is the Man.
He never gives up, and no one can ever beat him. Ever.
one of my favorites.

Trystorp! :hi:

Ever read The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx? ;)
I read The Shipping News and loved it. Has anyone here read Life of Pi?

I don't read Danielle Steele, but I do read popular novels a la John Grisham and the like. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird last night. Emma is the paperback I carry in my purse so I'm never stranded without reading material, so that'll be slow going. Next book in the hopper for home reading is Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove. Don recommended it to me.
I have read almost every John Grisham novel. I have read all the Harry Potter books and cannot wait to read the 7th! My tastes vary widely.

Last edited by a moderator:

curmudgeon

I just finished reading A Separate Peace by John Knowles, which I last read in high school.

This may turn into the summer of re-reads, which I do at least every 5 years. Next up:

The Magus by John Fowles
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
Jugurthine War Conspiracy of Catiline by Sallust

I tend to have several home improvement, architecture, and landscaping/gardening books open at any one time, and I enjoy reading about true crime.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I absolutely ADORED Life of Pi, indigo. One of my all-time favorites. It's exactly the kind of literature I like. I consider it emblematic of my MBTI ambiguities-- it's appealing to my N side and my S side. It's well-organized which appeals to my J side, but the themes are of openness and ambivalence by choice, which appeal to my P side.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll be reading my next issue of Cinefex when it comes out...