• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
almost done reading this for the second time

htbj.jpg

Marc

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. I want to read more of his books and I'll probably read The Art of Seduction next. I saw an interview with him and he seems very INxP to me. Just calm, reserved, and in complete control of his language. One thing that hit me was how oblivious he was to how people thought about him after meeting him.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. I want to read more of his books and I'll probably read The Art of Seduction next. I saw an interview with him and he seems very INxP to me. Just calm, reserved, and in complete control of his language. One thing that hit me was how oblivious he was to how people thought about him after meeting him.
It's a dumb, derivative and horribly cynical mess, I'd save your money.
I think his preoccupation with the pursuit of power and focus on outcomes is more TJ in nature.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Just finished Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette tome. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Marc

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well by the way he acts he seems like INxP. As for the book I think it's great. I use it all the time and it seems to work for me.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished reading "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson. Was a very interesting read on Mr. Jobs and the creation of Apple. I never knew anything about Steve but after reading the book...he seemed like a very creative but incredibly difficult guy to be around.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
John Mortimer's "Forever Rumpole". A compilation of several Rumpole stories.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Goodreads Review of The Book Thief so far.

The Book Review
The Taste of Hype.
Featuring:
A girl- a book- Chrisopher Walken- four senses- some helpful clues- an exaggeration.
The sky smelled like Jew. A girl, Diane, went to work, her feet crunching through the red leaves of a New England fall. She walked to her desk. The sky dripped with dreary black books that day, and one had landed on her desk with the sound of anticipation. A tall woman appeared with a uniform and offered her the book. Diane declined politely, her fingers running over the tattered binding. Diane took the book home that night. When she got home, she threw her bag on the desk and began to read eagerly. I watched her, though I was busy doing other things like stealing souls. My name is Death. I am the narrator.

***Some Helpful Clues***
Pretend death is read by Christopher Walken.
Prepare yourself for 550 pages of this.​

(The rest of the review.)
Death narrates this book as he follows a relatable adolescent girl, Liesel Meminger, who is an orphan adopted by the Hubermanns during WWII Germany. There’s a Jew involved, some thieving, some quirky details to bring you into the scene, some decent character development, etc. Based on these things alone, it’s a good book.
The concept is pretty neat and the writing style is quirky, simple, and death seems to like metaphors. He also has some form of synesthesia. (You'll see what I mean.)

***Why not five stars?***​
The New York Times review on the cover says- “BRILLIANT and hugely ambitious… It’s the kind of book that can be LIFE CHANGING.”

Yea okay New York Times,*wink*. Honestly another reviewer wrote, “It’s fine”, and I have to agree. It just becomes a tad predictable after a while. I’m writing this review about three quarters of the way through, and I already have a good idea about what the ending will be like. Everything is enjoyable and refreshing, but it’s missing a certain element of surprise. Anyway, I’m guessing three or four stars, but will update when I’m done.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just finished re-reading The Shining. Began The Dark Tower series, finally. I've owned it for about 10yrs, & kept getting distracted by other books.

Different flavor compared to King's other novels. I like it, thus far.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Beyond Human Nature: How Culture and Experience Shape the Human Mind by Jesse Prinz

Interesting peer review here.

Lark

You Learn by Living by Eleanor Roosevelt, I like it probably will read some of her other books now.

The Best of Poul Anderson, I pretty much read all his other books so I got this anthology now, finished Virgin Planet a couple of days ago, it was pulp fiction, he wanted it to be something more studied and the afterword full of comment about astronomy and possibility screams to high heaven of it but the garish cover art of a women wearing nothing but some shadows sort of sets the tone.

It was a sci fi book about a lost colony of women which a male explorer sets down on only to discover there's a cult grown up about the expected arrival of "men" and he doesnt fit their deified descriptions and expectations, then the power brokers decide they might like to kill him anyway because, well, his arrival threatens the sweet deal they have in place.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fabric of the Cosmos, 1984, the third hunger games (Mockingjay), and that conscious universe one that [MENTION=9807]Moniker[/MENTION] mentioned in that thread.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Today I finished Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein

It is a sad day. When I started reading this book, I found that I had less than half of it left by the first day and had to carefully control myself and savor the content. This is one of the finest stories ever told.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Data, A Love Story: How I Gamed Online Dating to Meet My Match, by Amy Webb. I couldn't help myself. I'd seen her talk before, and I read the excerpt on Slate, and the cover was appealingly designed, and...it was worth it, even though I had to fend off stupid questions like, "why are you reading that? Are you doing that OKCupid stuff now, too? Trynna find a boyfriend?" I almost needed a book cover as though I were reading some salacious material.

The book was pretty entertaining, though. I'd recommend it, even if you aren't looking for an online boyfriend.

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just started reading A Bend in the River, by V.S. Naipal, last night. 20 pages in... thus far it seems very promising, and I can say with near-certainty that I'm really going to like it.