• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Just finished His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. (The Golden Compass etc.)
Loved the trilogy.

I love those books so much. Lyra's descent into the underworld was one of the most moving and heartbreaking scenes I've ever read. I cried a lot.

As for me (sigh), I am reading Of Mice & Men and Romeo & Juliet with the kids. I have a Snicket book in progress, and last week I started The Wind-up Bird Chronicles.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Three books: The Two Towers, J. R. R. Tolkien; Wheelock's Latin; Latin: An Intensive Course, Moreland & Fleischer.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Blowout by Catherine Coulter. Meh. Pretty decent premise, not so great writing.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
Watching The English, Kate Fox

A fascinating insight into the rules of English behaviour, from food and sex to rites of passage and work.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
2!

South of the Border, West of the Sun. - Murakami. A slim elegy to childhood, memory and the memory of love. The pain of choices and circumstances. How for some things, there'll never be resolution.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman. Where do forgotten gods go? A read of journeys, fallen gods, new gods. Sex, sadness. Redemption.

Edit: Dansker, the English have sex? :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm reading "I Killed", which is an anthology of anecdotes from stand-up comedians about performance, heckling, life on the road, and similar stuff. Great read for the aspiring comedian in me :)

I'm also reading "The Last Temptation Of Christ" by Nikos Kazantzakis. I don't like it as much as the film so far, but it's still good. It's a fascinating story along the lines of counterfactual history. This story is such an inspiring one that I find it depressing that it was universally denounced by every Christian sect.

I just finished "As The Romans Do" by Alan Epstein. Epstein is an American professor of European history who moved to Rome with his wife and two young sons in 1990. It's a collection of essays about Rome, his family's assimilation into Italian life, and Italian culture from an outsider's perspective. Like a lot of travel writing, it says as much about where the author came from as it does about where he went. I recommend it highly for anyone who plans to visit Rome or just has an interest in Italy.

typo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Re: What I'm reading

Born On A Blue Day, a memoir by Daniel Tammet

I actually have not started this one yet but I am looking forward to picking it up from the library.

Tammet is an autistic savant with an amazing capacity for numbers and a rare ability to describe how he thinks in vivid details. He recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit over a 5 hour period and he's said to be able to learn new languages fluently in a matter of weeks.

Here is a snippet of the editorial review from Publisher's Weekly:
"... Besides being able to effortlessly multiply and divide huge sums in his head with the speed and accuracy of a computer, Tammet, the subject of the 2005 documentary Brainman, learned Icelandic in a single week and recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit, breaking the European record. He also experiences synesthesia, an unusual neurological syndrome that enables him to experience numbers and words as "shapes, colors, textures and motions." Tammet traces his life from a frustrating, withdrawn childhood and adolescence to his adult achievements, which include teaching in Lithuania, achieving financial independence with an educational Web site and sustaining a long-term romantic relationship."

For you experts, what would Tammet's MBTI type be?

Zorpheus

MBTI Type
INTP
Just finished- Enders Shadow
Currently reading- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Gonna read- Furies of Calderon

Mikesen

Just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I thought it was pretty good until Chapter 28. Then I got out a pen and marked the whole thing up because I thought it was amazing.

I'm about to start Travels With Charley by Steinbeck. Tomorrow I'm gonna pick up The Art of War, The Prince and The Republic. The three essentials as my professor puts it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Smile While You're Lying- Chuck Thompson (on travel)
Ghostwritten- David Mitchell (thanks elfie! :) )
Wine Atlas of the World- Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson
War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning- Chris Hedges

I've ordered The Alchemist, because it's not in bookstores around here :dry:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
"Competition, Herbivory, and Reproduction of Trichome Phenotypes of Datura Wrightii"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
NOT IMPRESSIVE, BORING

Because I have to give a presentation/lecture on it in eight and a half hours!!!

*please shoot me*

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Honestly, gauge my eyes out!!!!

I am nowhere close to being as methodical as what most scientists should be!!!!

I am drowning in these details, details, details!!!!!

Can't I just appreciate science from afar?

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
The Game, by Neil Strauss...again...cause I dont have anything new...:(

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I thought it was pretty good until Chapter 28. Then I got out a pen and marked the whole thing up because I thought it was amazing.

I'm about to start Travels With Charley by Steinbeck. Tomorrow I'm gonna pick up The Art of War, The Prince and The Republic. The three essentials as my professor puts it.

Oh! I had forgotten that I'd started Travels with Charley a couple of weeks ago. When things calm down, I'll have to pick that up again. Of course, things never calm down...

I might make this a Steinbeck summer and read all of the books by him that I should have read already.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I love those books so much. Lyra's descent into the underworld was one of the most moving and heartbreaking scenes I've ever read. I cried a lot.

Yes. :sad:

I'm unable to pick up any new books right now. Seems sacrilegious to let any book replace the Pullman trilogy.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman. Where do forgotten gods go? A read of journeys, fallen gods, new gods. Sex, sadness. Redemption.

:wubbie: Read it twice.

The Game, by Neil Strauss...again...cause I dont have anything new...:(

Very interesting book. I wonder if Uber might benefit from reading it or if that's the worst idea in history.