User Tag List

Page 7 of 214 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trystorp View Post
    I own that one. Good read. Can't say I've stumbled across anyone else who's read it before though!
    That's cool!!! Right now I'm also reading the Bhagavad-Gita, forgot to mention that before.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jasz View Post
    how do you like it? did you read Full House?

dave pollard has an interesting collection of recommended books and he puts gould's full house at the top.
    I'm not a fan of SJ Gould but the book is interesting thus far.
    INTP 5W6

shoshaku jushaku Array rivercrow's Avatar
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by J1129 View Post
    That's cool!!! Right now I'm also reading the Bhagavad-Gita, forgot to mention that before.
    Whose translation? (Assuming you haven't learnt Sanskrit....)

I'm onto another Brautigan collection. On a rip right now--seems like I've finally found a new fiction writer I wholly enjoy.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Okay, The Threadkiller has returned to revive this thread, like Isis bringing the wooden phallus to Osiris.....

er....

I have read in the last couple weeks:
    • Writing Personal Essays
    • A Confederate General from Big Sur
    • Dreaming of Babylon
    • Forbidden Faith
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Just finished reading The Fountainhead. I need some fluff now, so I am going to pick up book four of the Outlander series - Drums of Autumn.

rivercrow, is Dreaming of Babylon the Richard Brautigan novel?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

Yes, it is.

I am on a Brautigan rip. I have 4 more of his novels on the plate for the next couple weeks and two Brautigan memoirs (one by a friend, one by his daughter). When I was in Boone in May, I polished off _Trout Fishing_, _The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster_, and _In Watermelon Sugar_.

I also have a Glasser and a Hillman to read over the next week.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

"Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" by Daniel Dennett... offering plausible explanation for a natural evolution of religion.

Very very interesting so far, and I like his tone compared to Christopher Hitchens' typical antagonism -- he is much more leveled and "fair" in his approach to the topic. But I'm going to have to reread the center part again; right now, I totally follow what is being said, but I'm having trouble recalling what I've read.

--

Cafe, where did you get this?!!

I think I just found new wallpaper for my home computer!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Compact Stars: Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics, and General Relativity by Glendenning
    INTP 5W6

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I will be reading speaker for the dead and xenocide (sequels to ender's game, by orson scott card) as soon as I get the initiative to pick them up at the library, where they're waiting for me.

And also catch-22, when I pick it up, and also some book about string theory I'm struggling through, and I'm also 'reading' a book of "brain-exercises" or something like that. And I started reading a mindless Xanth book by piers anthony, but I got bored quickly. And I'm re-reading Redwall, too.

(I like to read many books concurrently, as you can see. I get too bored of one book if it takes longer than one session to read)
    Updated:

-read speaker for the dead, xenocide and ender's shadow
    -haven't touched catch 22 for a few weeks because I haven't felt like giving it a second chance yet, it's started so boring
    -next up is the last book in the ender's game saga...after that I'll read the rest of the ender's shadow series
    Last edited by Randomnity; 06-23-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: updating

MBTI
    INXP

I just read something that I read many years ago as a teenager, that I found very cheaply in a second hand store.

The chronicles of the Jerusalem Man, by Gemmell.

Nostalgic, for me.

-Geoff