User Tag List

Page 6 of 214 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

RDF

I don't see a lot of Russian literature in this list, so I'll include some background on the books for fun.

I just finished up "And Quiet Flows the Don" and "The Don Flows Home to Sea" by Mikhail Sholokhov. They are novels about the life of the Cossacks in the south of Russia at the turn of the last century, the experiences of Cossack fighting units in WWI and the Russian Civil War, and the end of the Cossack life and culture under the Soviet regime. The books were written in the 1920s and 1930s, had the approval of the Soviet authorities while also winning critical acclaim in the West, became known as "the Soviet War and Peace", and won Sholokhov the Nobel Prize for literature.

To follow up, I just started the "Red Cavalry" tales by Isaac Babel. They're short stories about Babel's real-life experiences as an Jew from Odessa assigned to a cavalry unit of Cossacks invading and subjugating Poland on behalf of the new Soviet regime at the end of the Russian Civil War. Babel's stories were eventually judged anti-Soviet and he disappeared into Stalin's prison camps. No one knows exactly how or when he died in the camps.

I've been reading those books coming home from work in the evening on the subway; I work as a translator/reviser so I read the books in the original Russian language, though I also keep the English versions at hand for difficult passages.

On the way into work on the subway in the mornings I switch off between an Armenian translation of Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince" and a Georgian translation of Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." I'm very weak at Georgian and Armenian so I read children's books in those languages and have to check pretty much every sentence against the English versions.

Reading foreign language books on the subway is a good way to keep people from sitting in the seat next to me, at least until the subway becomes completely packed. People see a rumpled-looking middle-aged guy who is reading a book that has squiggly lines for an alphabet, and they steer away from me figuring I'm going to smell like stale cigarette smoke, coffee, garlic, and 7-day-old sweat.

FL

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

MBTI
    INTP

I'm rarely reading one book at a time. The three that I am reading at present are:

Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne, Ben Hills
    Origins of the Second World War, A.J.P. Taylor
    Music and Silence, Rose Tremain

MBTI
    INTP

The Structure of Evolutionary Theory by SJ Gould
    INTP 5W6

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
    The Structure of Evolutionary Theory by SJ Gould
    how do you like it? did you read Full House?

dave pollard has an interesting collection of recommended books and he puts gould's full house at the top.
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm treading across four or five at the moment.

Among them is Albert Schweitzer's biography. He seems to embody the mature INFP. I am particularly interested in his life because of the way he skillfully combined music, philosophy and medicine among other things (theology, humanitarian work, organ building, etc.). His idealism and his universalism are poignant, his relationship with Bach and his introverted/intuitive musical talent are personally gratifying to read about. He grew up in the same area as I did and I like the descriptions of the atmosphere of Strasbourg's University and of the Alsatians.

A must-read for INFPs questioning their path and wanting to see how a "successful" INFP interacted with others. A role model for all INFXs for sure!

Senior Member Array raincrow007's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    That's the one involving an alternate history and the I Ching, isn't it?

/vague memory

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    Clever book. It unfortunately leaves you hungry for more substance - at least it did for me.

"The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court" by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong
    "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert

After I finish those, I am planning to read "Tipping Point" and "Blink" by Gladwell

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    That's the one involving an alternate history and the I Ching, isn't it?

/vague memory
    Yes! Great memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    Clever book. It unfortunately leaves you hungry for more substance - at least it did for me.
    I've read his "Flow My Tears - The Policeman Said" too, but I like this book better.