User Tag List

Page 58 of 214 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom by Qanta Ahmed

Very interesting read. I recommend it.

Restricted Japanese Phrase Book by the US War Department (from 1944)

"The information contained in restricted documents and the essential characteristics of restricted material may be given to any person known to be in the service of the United States and to persons of undoubted loyalty and discretion who are cooperating in Government work, but will not be communicated to the public or to the press except by authorized military public relations agencies." :rolli:

It's actually a pretty decent phrase book for its purposes. The pronunciation guide is TERRIBLE though, it bastardizes the Japanese language.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

"A Thief of Time" by Tony Hillerman.
    Good book so far. There are small annoyances, of course, but overall it's very well done.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism, translated by Julia Annas and Jonathan Barnes

The Modes of Scepticism, by Julia Annas and Jonathan Barnes

The Clarity of God's Existence: the Ethics of Belief After the Enlightenment, by Owen Anderson

Modern Times, by Paul M. Johnson

1st & 2nd Corinthians, by Paul

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King
    "At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft
    "Kui Raudpea tuli" by Enn Kippel.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Catch 22-awesome book so far, some laugh out loud parts (at least for me)
    by @magpie

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Catch 22-awesome book so far, some laugh out loud parts (at least for me)
    It is an awesome book. And yeah, I laughed out loud too.

I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. A good read.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm working on all of the following:

The Ghost in the Machine - Arthur Koestler (my favorite atm)
    Notes on the Underground, An Essay on Technology, Society, and the Imagination - Rosalind Williams
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
    Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
    Zygon Journal of Religion & Science Vol 39. Num. 4
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Haven't written in a while cause pretty much the only book I read during spring quarter was A Brief History of Time (Stephen Hawking, awesome). I started my summer reading pile and am starting to think I have horrible selecting instincts because I've gone through quite a bunch of stinkers. I just want to read a GOOD book, dammit! I wanna laugh and cry and be slightly disorientedly dazed for a day afterwards before I even start to think of how to comprehend the thoughts its given me.

1. The Clouds by Aristophanes: Kinda goofier than I thought it would be, but mildly amusing at parts with the slapstick- otherwise some over-the-top-message (that's somewhat self-serving as well), not really interesting unless you care about the juvenile out/infighting between various philosophy schools of classical Athens. 1.5/5
    2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel: I don't know how you make a fight on a lifeboat between a tiger and a shark boring, but this manages, and it's even the most exciting part! Snooze-inducingly unbelievable both in message and events. The main character doesn't seem to learn anything from his "unique" experiences, and neither do we- nothing that isn't cliche at this point- and not even particularly true or deep exploration of those either. 1.5/5
    3. Rewind by Laura Downer: Abhorrent message- I don't care how you are "manipulated"/"seduced"(not) or how morally gray your victim is, stalking and violence is not okay. Very disturbing that the author doesn't seem to see this and presents us a sappy love story between said stalker and a third party (generic artsy nice girl) right at the end. Characters and situations largely drawn out of bad teen soap operas, ridiculous cliche-"shocking" teenage behaviors, and unearned attempts at heartstring pulling- spare me. 0.5/5
    4. Tokyo Year Zero by David Pearce: An interesting premise (police detective in post-WWII Tokyo) that is botched by its pretentious attempts that manage to land it into several hateful literary genre categories: 1) historical fiction that appears to solely exist for the author to show off extensive period research much to the boredom of everyone else who hasn't written a thesis on the topic; 2) gazillion page stylistic narrator-going-crazy post-modern stuff (you are not Fight Club); 3) un-illuminating crime gore. And I'm sure I could name more if I had bothered to read more, but I didn't. 0/5

And one thankfully not stinky one:
    5. Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman: I loved Korman's I Want to Go Home! as a kid, and while this book is not quite as hilarious, I did laugh out loud several times. Believable teenagers (though Korman's slight behindness in technology/slang does show sometimes), understandable conflicts, AND some serious actual exploration of the guilt and ties of family and blood money and friendship (in the mob and the FBI). Cute, sweet, and proactive characters you can root for, downside being the ending seems incomplete (guess the novel was always intended to have a sequel). Very refreshing after the above awfulness. 4/5

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

"The Looming Tower"

for a school project...