User Tag List

Page 48 of 214 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dunno whether this is the right thread for this info, but apparently Cormac McCarthy's childhood home burned to the ground this week. That kinda sucks, since it was considered a landmark.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFP

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

"We all have time to spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever. "-Bruce lee

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

(Yes, McCarthy is my current obsession ... his writing is AMAZING!!)

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCathy.

I haven't quite started it, yet, but soon. Soon.
    INFJ
    4w5

The Chronicles of Amber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've read it before, and forgot its name, but found it on my roommate's bookshelf.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Colors
    Just finished Chronicle of a Death Foretold yesterday. Didn't really feel the Nobel Peace Prize win-niness.

Also recently finished The Great Gatsby.
    Went back to greater elaborate my thoughts to find that the "time-to-edit" has expired.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- What's the point of inverting the chronological order of the unfolding of the crime if there's no payoff? It definitely added to the tension of the beginning of the novel, but really by the end, the murder seemed rather banal, despite the gruesomenss of how it was committed, merely because the characters seemed to find it rather banal too. I suspect it's meant to inspire some feelings of horror and empathy at the tragedy of uncaringness in the world, of the shirking of responsiblity and and inevitability of being forced by social pressure (I think some more familiarity with that culture of machismo and religiousness would help me).

But really, it's easy to write of people failing. (Which is why it is such a lazy device to kill off people in a short story. It ties up loose ends. It's a cheap thrill. But you get criticism, not constructive criticism. You don't actively *learn*.) It's especially to write of people failing when you tell the audience they fail from the beginning. Hence the most interesting parts of the story are the - the lives of twins (though their moral dilemna pre-killing Santiago is also interesting) and the life-as-a-spinster of Angela Vicario. Moving on is interesting, compelling- it teaches. Dwelling, reliving, condemning- not so much.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald:
    The obsession with wealth never ceases, eh? Would people die of soul-crushing existential despair if rich people were portrayed as... happy? It's strange, isn't it? Books/movies/TV/etc, they all exploit our want for wealth (by showing it, with plenty of glitzy excess). And they exploit the fear we feel because we don't have wealth, by portraying the rich as incredibly miserable. To use the very human/cultural nature that fuels/IS the interest to moralize that the interest is bad?

Ah, dear sir, if we believed you, we wouldn't need to read your book. We wouldn't want to read your book. And so exists this limbo.

I think there's a lot of Fitzgerald trying to capture the feeling of the time period (1920s). His vocabulary is very impressive and his descriptions in the first part of the book are very evocative and vivid and on-point. Jay Gatsby kind of awesome (other than is fatal flaw of LOVE, cause them womens they be bitches and hos). And I get it's supposed to be some sort of new money vs. old money thing and in the sense that Jay doesn't have a "birthright" (but then the book goes and confirms that he doesn't have a right to be sucessful by killing him off). I guess I never bought into the plot mechanations, which were sort of classic melodrama, which was very jarring in comparison to what was at first spot-on cynical commentary by Nick. (And the poooHoor people all dying horribly, what a nice message. And the rich people being all jackasses. :rolli

Nick and Jordan's relationship is *very* interesting though. Wish there was more on that.

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCloud View Post
    The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir
    Simone knew what.
    One of the best books ever written.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I keep picking up Ender's shadow and reading it (again) because I need an infusion of new books.

Someone get me the last book in the robot series to read plz.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Array Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

'Tequila Oil: Getting Lost In Mexico' by Hugh Thomson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

The ultimate in bizarre: a cross between an ostrich, a gorilla, and Edward Scissorhands.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"the long tail" by wired editor. interesting concept, boring read (can it get any dryer???)
    INTP/5w4 sx