• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

S

Sniffles

The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the martial art Aikido.

Ueshiba insists that true warriorship consists of compassion, wisdom, fearlessness, and love. While the Art of War is about the unnecessary taking of life, the Art of Peace is about the necessary preservation of it. Ueshiba was a fervent anti-war activist throughout much of his life, especially when his homeland was involved in WWII.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It's taking a while, and I feel considerably less invested in it than I have been the other books of his I've read.

P

Phantonym

I love mystery solving novels.

Me too, me too.

I grew up with Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot :wubbie:

:cheese: I'm inclined to say "Mystery solving novels are like, elementary, my dear Dwigie"*

*Although Conan Doyle didn't actually use this line in his novels

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
The Dangerous Sex: The Myth of Feminine Evil, H.R. Hays

Sounds intriguing. How are you finding it?

I'm reading Demian by Hermann Hesse, and tonight if all goes well I'll start reading something for this paper I gotta write - The Oder-Neisse Leine, The U.S., Poland and Germany in the Cold War. If I finish Demian, I want to start Slaughterhouse Five by next week. Really trying to make this a productive summer.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis

The Institutes of Christian Religion, by John Calvin, edited by Tony Lane

The Blackwell Guide to Epistemology, edited by John Greco and Ernest Sosa

Luke, by Luke.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Torture: The Grand Conspiracy by Malise Ruthven

I found it in the sociology section of a used book store, and it's better than I though it would be. The thesis is that torture is almost always associated with some form of conspiracy, whether it be organized or led by fanaticism. The author supports their argument by analyzing the evolution of torture, starting with ancient Greece and ending in Stalinist Russia.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm now reading Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Book (obviously).

It's a collection of summaries of each episode with comments by the actors etc and biographies of some of the key characters.

The guy's a genius:

I'll have a vanilla... one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got.

rainydays

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The Lucky One - Nicholas Sparks.

Filled with tender romance and terrific suspense, THE LUCKY ONE is Nicholas Sparks at his best—an unforgettable story about the surprising paths our lives often take and the power of fate to guide us to true and everlasting love.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

After that I hope 'The Art Of Speedreading People' will have come in.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I just re read Alice in Wonderland. I now remember why it was one of my favorite books as a child.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, now reading Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies.

Definitely planning on rereading the Harry Potter series before the sixth movie next month.