• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig: awful. Manages to insult two genres at once- historical fiction and chick lit. Contains two female protagonists so we can hate no their faux feminism from two different centuries. Spies so insipid they get caught on a recon mission cause they're too busy groping each other. Completely ignores the chance to teach real history or compare/constrast the social values (attitudes towards "birthright" and monarchy, gender roles, patriotism, etc) in favor of poorly executed romantic tropes. I should've read a Harlequin instead.

The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon: Author chronicles his one year of recovery after he sets himself on fire in a suicide attempt in the eighth grade. What makes it work is that Runyon chooses to write it in the present tense- moment to moment- we seeing portraits of initial reactions, not the retconned "message" or rationalization we humans are so prone to adding. In some ways, this sort of cut close for me.

Monster by Walter Dean Myers and Christopher Myers: Is written as a 16 yr old's account of his trial for felony murder... who decides to generally write it as a movie adaptation (complete with shots and cuts). An interesting conceit which allows you to both see the protagonist from a personal perspective and a more detached 3rd person perspective. Pretty good.

Last edited:
S

Sniffles

The Vision of Christopher Dawson - Araceli Duque

This excerpt particularly interested me:
"Despite his brilliance and insight, Dawson has been surprisingly ignored in academia and beyond. One of the reasons for this neglect is perhaps his vast erudition, which makes any study of his daunting, if not intimidating."

Trust me Mr. Dawson, I know the feeling.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Martin Rowson The Dog Allusion. Gods, pets and how to be human.

A book about being an atheist written by a humanist instead of a scientist - brilliant insight, subtle, generous (to those with relgious beliefs) and often laugh aloud funny - really recommend it.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

I love him.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I was TRYING to read Anna Karenina, but school has started again and I've got a lot of reading for that to do...

I've also got the last Harry Potter book on loan from a friend.

But right now I have to go read How to Read an Oral Poem by John Miles Foley. Hmmm, what does my new buddy J.M.F. (aka John, M'Fer!) have in store for me?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am almost done with the second book of the Twilight series and I am scared, this series is like a drug, what will I do once I finished my stash?!?!?

I need more romance, GIVE IT TO ME, NOW!!!

:D

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces, 4th edition, vol. I.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Weetzie Bat by Francseca Lia Block- a reread. I love the author's use of imagery and sort of a poetic approach to prose. It's all very much from Weetzie's point of view... that perhaps she has a tendency to romanticize and be too carefree- but don't we all want a little to see the magic in the world- for the simplest, equisite pleasures. On reread it's definitely interesting to compare Weetzie's world-perception to My-Secret-Agent-Lover-Man's (and in later books, to Cherokee's and Witch Baby's).

The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig- a modern retelling of Hamlet... with Hamlet recast as Phillip Noble, an 11 yr old boy whose dad has just died. Is meant to work on two levels, one the classic ghost-story level and on the Phillip-is-going-crazy level. Does a good job of humanizing the characters (especially Ophelia/Leah, I thought), but the unravelling of the plot in the last fourth didn't do either level justice.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Just bought this:

the_road.jpg

Weird, as I never buy fictional books. I think I'm going to get "Blood Meridian" soon by the same author.

Ghetto_mocha

MBTI Type
ENFP
The Power of Kindness by Pierro Ferrucci. Amazing! And A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain, which is way too funny...

B

ByMySword

For school:

Writing History: A Guide for Students by William Kelleher Storey

The Mexico Reader: History, Culture, Politics by Gilbert M. Joseph & Timothy J. Henderson

Revising Prose by Richard A. Lanham

For fun:

Fallen Founder: The Life of Aaron Burr by Nancy Isenburg