• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Wisdom of Carl Jung
Edited by: Edward Hoffman, Ph.D.

Gifts Differing
by Myers

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've just finished reading the graphic novel entitled From Hell by Alan Moore. It was seriously good! One of those books that you want to never end. I savoured every moment.

I briefly started reading The Zap Gun by Philip K. Dick, but got weary of it, so have now moved onto something a little easier on the brain: Lost Light, by Michael Connelly. It's a murder mystery with Harry Bosch as the main protagonist. You can't go that far wrong with Michael Connelly, they're all quite entertaining.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Reading Lolita in Tehran. Fascinating history lesson and it's gotten me interested in fiction again.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I'm re-reading the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice since I'm bored and too skint to buy what I want to read, and the charity stores only had her books and mills and boons. :sick:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury... cool title AND involves circuises, I must read it! :holy:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury... cool title AND involves circuises, I must read it! :holy:

I enjoyed that one. The movie surprisingly stayed pretty close to the book.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Saw the movie ages ago so it wasn't fresh in my memory which is good because we all know books are better.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
"The Voyage of The Narwhal" by Andrea Barrett(again) A pretty good read about arctic exploration in the 1850s.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Secession: How Vermont and All the Other States Can Save Themselves from the Empire by Thomas H. Naylor

For those interested in an alternative look at American politics and America's future, this certainly should interest you.
Do they mention Palin's husband ? :)

I've got a whole bunch of books on the burner right now -

Just finished -
( 1. ) "Food of the Gods-The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge" by Terence McKenna
( 2. ) "The Ruffian on the Stair" by Gary Newman
( 3. ) Re-read "The Invisible Landscape" by Terence and Dennis McKenna
( 4. ) "The Quantum Brain" by Jeffrey Satinover - packed with info I hadn't known about.
( 5. ) "Kaleidoscope" by Darryl Wimberley - Here is a description of this book from the flyleaf - maybe something for Anja to read...
"Jack Romaine's addiction to speakeasies and cards has landed him in a tight spot - one which he can't use his good looks to get out of. With debts to dangerous men piling up, he becomes an unwilling recruit for a Cincinnati gangster needing an expendable tool to recover his stolen cash and railroad bonds. Unfortunately Jack is not the only man on the trail of the stolen money-he is in competition with a sadistic killer who relishes the carnage he leaves in his wake.

The trail leads South to Kaleidoscope, a 'beddy' for freaks during the months when carnival is out-of-season. In this malformed community peopled by dwarfs and giants, legless women and women with three breasts, Siamese twins and sword swallowers, Jack is very much the odd man out. Convincing these folks of his sincerity and amiability while surreptitiously trying to find out what happened to the stolen cash is going to take all of his ingenuity-and will have results he could never have anticipated."

Yeah, it was a pretty fun read. I was a bit disappointed with the latter part of the book and the ending, although it was clear from early on that the book was not purely gritty realism.

Re: #2 - I will have to look for other stuff that Newman wrote - about one of my favorite subjects - Gilded Era ( turn of the century Victorian ) crime. This one was about a man tracking down info about a scandal his grandfather had been involved in, that amounted to a detective story about another era. It got a bit too bogged down with details about the search, but the author shows some promise. Reportedly he focuses on "period writing".

Mckenna is always interesting.

Partway through -

"Me and Kaminsky" by Daniel Kehlmann
"Proust and the Squid" by Maryanne Wolf
"The Afghan Campaign" by Steven Pressfield
"The Necronomicon" edited by Robert Price

( 1. ) "Me and Kaminsky" is a funny story told from the POV of a naive narrator, about him interviewing a reclusive old artist, in a bid for "breaking out" onto the national journalistic/arts scene.

( 2. ) "Proust and the Squid" is about the history of reading, and gets into all sorts of subjects, including dyslexia and ancient languages etc.

( 3. ) "The Afghan Campaign" is told from the POV of a soldier in Alexander the Great's army as they take on Afghanistan's clans, which they actually did do IRL. This guy has the rep of being the best writer on war out there, and so we will see.

( 4. ) "The Necronomicon" is commentary on H.P. Lovecraft's most famous creation - an imaginary book of marvels re: necromancing and the Cthulhu "mythos".

I'm nearly finished with #4, two thirds done with #1, and have a lot of work still to do on #'s 2 and 3.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i just finished "the tipping point" last night.
pleasant reading, with neat insights into social epidemics.

S

Sniffles

Last night I was glancing through my copy of Arnold J. Toynbee's Volume 12 of metahistorical classic A Study of History.

Every now and then metahistorical issues preoccupy my mind. I tend to prefer Toynbee over Spengler, although Christopher Dawson has been grabbing my attention lately.

Only problem is these writers make for some heavy reading. You need your full wits to comprehend much of their arguments.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Alan Bennetts 'Untold Stories' - funny, sad and touching especially the stuff about his family including his Mum's extreeme social phobia and slide into mental illness and alot about how he feels about being an introvert especially in relation to the extravert comics (Dudley Moore, Peter Cook etc) that he worked with.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm reading:
"Possession" by A.S. Byatt
"Aurora Leigh" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
and "Eclipse of God" by Martin Buber.