• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
last couple of weeks - i can recommnd any of these

the man in the picture (another ghost story) by susan hill
the host stephanie meyer
behind the masks jean bond - a 'self help' book which does not go for the feel good factor - its brutally honest and i can only read in short bursts
the declaration by jennifer malley - heart breaking young adult book (i read all my daughters recommendations and theyv ben some of my favourits this year) about the world after medically created immortality has made childbirth almost illegal

S

Sniffles

Eric Voegelin's Science, Politics and Gnosticism.

This is my first reading of Eric Voegelin, who is commonly considered one of the greatest political theorists of the 20th century. Within this work, Voegelin Voegelin contends that certain movements of Modern thought are connected to the Gnostic tradition. He connects them to Gnosticism both in the direct sense of literally being inspired by it, and also indirectly in that their goals and ideals parallel those of the ancient Gnostics.

Overall, Voegelin sees Gnosticism as a dangerous threat to the fabric of Western civilization, and can only be countered through the revitalization of geniune philosophy - built on the foundations of Classical and Christian insights.

Heart would probably enjoy this.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well if it counts, reading my own mind :D

If it doesn't. I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (Currently on Song of Susanna

King's other novels are more entertaining on the short term, but I'm hooked on the plot and characters of the Dark Tower series. :)

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Art of Veterinary Practice: The Art of Client Communication, by D. V. M. Myrna Milani

Research project for school, but a good read filled with some great points provided by a practicing veterinarian. I'd recommend this to anybody interested in animals.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Just started in on another Gregory Maguire novel [I totally :wub: him!!!].

A Lion Among Men: The Wicked Years, Book 3

It's the third companion book to Wicked and Son of a Witch...I adore both of those, I'm hoping this one does not disappoint. :)

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The Idiot By Dostoevsky. Really good book. It was much better in the first quarter, I thought, but I'm only about 2/3 of the way through, so it still has time to improve. That said, even it's boring parts are pretty great. I like how someone else put it, saying that Dostoevsky is very honest with the human psyche.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My sister has all of the Twilight books and has convinced me to read them, so.. yeah..

Haven't started yet... Maybe tonight.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I'm sure that they'd be classed by most as 'girlie fluff' but my daughter talked me into reading them and I really enjoyed them (at least the first two anyway) Good escapist fantasy that caught the attention of the post Harry Potter generation - looking forward to the film! enjoy!

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am almost done...don't want to finish until I get out and buy the second one so that I can move right into the next book...it is good, but I have heard (as usual) the movie sucks.

That's a good plan of action. My friend owns the books and I borrowed them from her. We didn't find out about them until Eclipse was nearing release, and so read all three books in succession, then had to wait for Breaking Dawn for an excruciatingly long time. Or so it seemed to me.

Wow, people are saying the movie sucked already? It just came out yesterday :shock: I know pre-sale tickets were sold out all over the country, however. I don't go by reviews. I go and watch and decide for myself. Plenty of people despised the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films, too, simply because they didn't have all of the information the books contained, and because not everything was followed to a T. I heard the same about Eragon, as well. Having read LotR and the Potter series, I agree key elements were missing in the films, however, I understand that not everything can be fit in and editing must be done... :blush:

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
Frauen, German Women Recall the Third Reich

It's for a class, it is however proving to be quite fascinating.

Anyone else out there think Twilight is rather poorly written? I read the first one as a summer fluff book, and it was good as that: fluff. The dialogue made me cringe quite a bit while reading it. I guess I would never recommend it as great lit. I didn't see the potential.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I just finished reading John Adams, by David McCullough. I am now reading Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout. The second book was chosen for a book club. We meet to discuss the book on December 2.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Friedman's Hot, Flat and Crowded, a good thought on how the US has squandered opportunities for stepping up in good ways.

The Black Death which is a fictionalized account by a historian, gets into the psychology/spirituality of the time which made watching 40-80% of your neighbors die a horrible death even worse (if that can be imagined).

Outliers which at least has the wisdom to point out that you get good at math by working at it, not just through inborn ability--we're talking regular math, not PHDs...

The Twilight series was a nice fluff read, no deep "Where are the adults when yu need them" themes like Harry Potter. One more reference to Alice going shopping and I was ready to never find out what happened.

Atlas

MBTI Type
INTP
My reply

White Tiger-___________insert author's name where the underscores are.

The next book that I'm planing to read is:

The Plague--by Albert Camus.

I would appreciate book suggestions.