Dum Spiro, Spero

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

"I Am" by Michael Drakich.

Just good old-fashioned Golden Era-ish science-fiction.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.
    Likes ilikeitlikethat liked this post

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Around the World in Eighty Days from;

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    Around the World in Eighty Days from;
    Passepartout had just thrashed Detective Fix after discovering him on board a steamer crossing the Pacific called the General Grant for spiking his drink in an opium den in Hong Kong with opium and leaving him in a stupor to separate him from his master (the hero; Phileas Fogg) at which Detective Fix just proposed a new plan which now aided Fogg's attempt to circumnavigate the globe in 80 days or less thus winning the wager at which Passepartout accepted the detective as an ally in the cause to win the wager/complete the 80 day task/challenge, and not as a friend, and swears to break the detective's neck if he goes back on his word and keeps the detective's secret from Phileas Fogg; They're now at the end of their 23 day voyage from Yokohama to San Francisco. Passepartout was dragged to the steamer to Japan from Hong Kong by those who worked in the opium den so he didn't miss his ship; His master Phileas Fogg and the Princess Aouda whom he saved in India from a fire with the help of Passepartout pretending to be a dead man resurrected; had intended to leave her with a trusted relative also in Hong Kong but, due to success in trade, he was now in Holland (probably), and so now Aouda was to accompany them back to Europe. - Fix, hot on the trail of Phileas Fogg around the world was delighted as he spent the story trying to get this arrest warrant and saw Hong Kong as the last part of 'English land' before Japan then USA, so he wanted him to miss his steamer which successfully caused him to miss that steamer that Passepartout was taken to from the opium den which left port early and he hadn't had yet chance to notify his master, went to Japan.
    Phileas Fogg needed to be in Japan, he needed to catch the General Grant steamer to San Francisco and was in Hong Kong and missed his connection to it, luckily the calm and collect gentleman of means just charted a ship to Shanghai much to the disappointment of Fix, it was charted on the understanding that they could catch the General Grant from Shanghai before it went Yokohama before going to San Francisco, and so offered Fix passage on his chartered boat to Shanghai from Hong Kong while Passepartout came to his senses on the correct boat going from Hong Kong to Yokohama thinking he'd blown it all. Passepartout, a Frenchman/Parsian who wanted the quiet life to serve a London gentleman in the unrest of France he abandoned, now found himself penniless and hungry in Japan. Proud however, he soon found work in a circus. As soon as Phileas Fogg and the Princess Aouda arrived in Yokohama, they went to consulates and embassies trying to look for Passepartout to no luck, it was by chance the team were reunited again and able all able to board the General Grant to San Francisco where Passepartout surprised to see Detective Fix who thought was back in Hong Kong but Fix, who saw Passepartout board in Japan in his circus costume, kept a low profile throughout most of the 22 day voyage - Passepartout struck the detective for getting him drunk and spiking his drink with opium in Hong Kong to try and delay Phileas Fogg who was suspected of robbing the Bank of England no less.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice.
    After reading it will you be able to conquer the cinnamon challenge?
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

I read The Elephant Vanishes by Murakami and wow it's great! I haven't read that good short stories since January. I heard very good and very bad opinions about Murakami before, so I didn't have much of enthusiasm about reading his books. That's the first of his books I read, so I don't know, perhaps there are very good and very bad ones. But this one- definitely very good. I recommend!
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    "I Am" by Michael Drakich.

Just good old-fashioned Golden Era-ish science-fiction.
    Not quite, good fellow.

Now that I've finished reading "I Am," I am rather amazed at how the author (Michael Drakich) led me to believe one thing at the beginning and quite another at the end. The main character actually develops, unlike the heroes in old fashioned sci-fi. It starts out as a rather "mundane" sci-fi story but then it evolves into something else as the hero evolves. And so at the beginning you have one "I am," who the hero was at that time (not much of a hero), to another, more heroic "I am" later on in the novel. And then the ending - it was superb.

This is not garden variety science fiction as I first assumed.

51Ytep-023L._SS300_.jpg
    Last edited by Mal12345; 10-04-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    Reminder (for others):

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

One Nation Under Taught: Solving America's Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Crisis

If you take an 8-year old student performing at the 50th percentile and give him a low performing teacher, he will regress to the 37th percentile in 3 years. Give him a high-performing teacher, and he will succeed to the 90th percentile in the same amount of time- a swing of 53 percentage points.
    According to Bill Gates: "the single most decisive factor in student achievement is excellent teaching. It is astonishing what great teachers can do for their students." (This is just common sense but many who oppose school reform refuse to accept this.)
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.