MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Dune, by Frank Herbert.

Which, I have learned, is just as great as everyone says it is. It's a classic for a reason.
    Brilliant.

It highly influenced me as a child. I adopted the Bene Gesserit mantra as my own "there is no pain. there is no fear" at 12 or so, which I see now as a huge issue since it allowed me to create a world of denial.

the second book was pretty good as well. I didn't enjoy his other sequels as much, but the contemporary authorized prequels are pretty interesting as to how the universe developed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

The Failure of Laissez-faire Capitalism by Paul Craig Roberts, one of the leading figures who developed supply side economics and was a fixture on the WSJ editorial page back in the 80s.

Mr. Roberts explains in simple basic terms how supply side economics was used to provide cover to many things it was never intended to do and why globalization has been destructive to the US economy.

A harsh critic of US foreign policy, he also provides a harsh criticism of the national surveillance state and neocon imperialism.

And he backs it all up with data. It is a short book (175 pages) and powerful.

His stark figures on job creation are just brutal (we supply 10 years worth of necessary college grads in just 60% of a single year's graduating class, for example).

Well worth the read, especially for anyone who still believes in the magic of the free market....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

An excerpt from Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Enrenreich. The middle-class author "experimented with poverty" for three months and these are her stories.

I was shocked by the sense of unwanted intimacy. A few hours ago, some well fed butt was straining away on this toilet seat, and now here I am wiping up after it. For those who have never cleaned a really dirty toilet, I should explain that there are three kinds of shit stains. There are remnants of landslides running down the inside of toilet bowls. There are the splashback remains on the underside of toilet seats. And, perhaps most repulsively, there's sometimes a crust of brown on the rim of a toilet seat, where a turd happened to collide on its dive to the water. You don't want to know this? Well, it's not something I would have chosen to dwell on myself, but the different kinds of stains require different cleaning approaches. One prefers those that are interior to the toilet bowl, since they can be attacked by brush, which is a kind of action at a distance weapon. And one dreads the crusts on the seats, especially when they require the intervention of a Dobie as well as a rag.
    I've never been one for toilet humor but this part cracked me up.

edit: it got better

Or we might talk about that other great nemesis of the bathroom cleaner - pubic hair. I don't know what it is about the American upper class, but they seem to be shedding their pubic hair at an alarming rate. You find it in quantity in shower stalls, bathtubs, Jacuzzis, drains, and even, unaccountably, in sinks. Once I spent fifteen minutes crouching in a huge four person Jacuzzi, maddened by the effort of finding the dark little coils camouflaged against the eggplant - colored ceramic background but fascinated by the image of the pubes of the economic elite, which must by this time be completely bald.
    this is totally my style of journalism.
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

I'm stuck at the moment, I finished my non-fiction and fiction reads of the moment, Brian Aldiss' book about a time travelling Dracula, which wasnt that great actually when I think about it but I just had to finish it hoping it would get better before it ended (it didnt really), and Reclaiming the Sane Society, which was a collection of essays in tribute to or on the themes of Erich Fromm's books and writing, it was interesting, I like to always have something Fromm related to read, though now I'm caught, I've got a ton of books, like enough to fill a house but none compellingly calling out to me at the moment.

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The Marshmallow Test: Mastering Self-Control

Everything you've ever wanted to know about the Stanford Marshmallow experiment. The author's been studying this topic since the 60s. The book discusses various strategies for delaying gratification and also why this ability is important. I'm only on Chapter 2.
    It's important to thumbs down all your favorite Youtube videos. You don't want these artists to get big heads and start producing subpar material.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

I'm currently reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and I'm also half way through Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, but I have been stalling on it for a long time now. I need to get back on it.

Be Concerned - TØP Array themightyfetus's Avatar

Textbooks. So many textbooks.
    I don't mean to pry, but why would you even make the eyes?

6w7-2w3-9w1
    Likes EJCC liked this post

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

Volume 2 of Durarara
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Only 23 pages left to read in "Designated Targets," the second book of John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy (or quadrilogy counting the short story) of "what-if" speculative history. He did a good job in terms of hard, cold facts. It's not a hero's tale, it's just a speculative, educated guess based on historical knowledge (of which Birmingham possesses a great deal). I've already read the last book and so I know the ending, not that it's very surprising that the allies win WWII (again). The Japanese were too hidebound in tradition to take advantage of future tech, and the Germans just didn't have what it takes to build an A-bomb in time. The Italian fascists didn't have anything to do in these novels.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    845 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Only 23 pages left to read in "Designated Targets," the second book of John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy (or quadrilogy counting the short story) of "what-if" speculative history. He did a good job in terms of hard, cold facts. It's not a hero's tale, it's just a speculative, educated guess based on historical knowledge (of which Birmingham possesses a great deal). I've already read the last book and so I know the ending, not that it's very surprising that the allies win WWII (again). The Japanese were too hidebound in tradition to take advantage of future tech, and the Germans just didn't have what it takes to build an A-bomb in time. The Italian fascists didn't have anything to do in these novels.
    These are always fun, but I can't imagine a plausible scenario in which the axis wins.
    Dum Spiro, Spero