Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 2134

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Most Likely to Succeed: Preparing our Kids for the Innovation Era

This is probably the best book on education reform I've read and it's written by a lefty.

Lots of creative solutions. Basically the author contends that the educational system needs a complete overhaul. Lectures don't work. Teaching to the test is stupid and a waste of time. AP courses are a joke, etc.
    Lectures are a joke, they are at every level. You don't see them as much in college anymore with hybrid tools. Standardized testing is retarded. AP classes are a complete scam for money. They don't get any credits - they just allow kids to opt out of testing and that's a maybe. The classes are like totalitarian regimes. I hope parents considering it really look into it, it's not worth it and it took some talking to get our daughter to see how they weren't worth it. She graduated #2 in her class so, I think it turned out fine.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@ceecee The biggest problem with AP courses is the sheer volume of material covered in those classes. Because there is so much material to cover, there isn't room for much discussion and the subjects aren't discussed at any depth.

The book also exposes the fraud of the SAT as a tool to weed out potentially bad students. It doesn't.

Even studies performed by the College Board itself conclude that the main value of the SAT is a modest ability to help predict first-year college GPA. That's it.
    The elite colleges still use the SAT because SAT scores are used in the ranking system by the US News and World Report when deciding college rankings. Higher SAT scores means more prestige and higher college rankings by the USNWR and this is why students are allowed to take the SAT multiple times. Colleges only report the highest SAT scores so they'll get a higher ranking. It's all nonsense.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

The SAT was never meant to be a diagnostic tool for future success or anything like that. It is a tool used for deciding whether or not you can enroll at a particular school. Period. End of story. Any other use is fraudulent, but the problem is that this is being used as an excuse to eliminate the SAT. The SAT itself is not a fraud, only the way it's been used, as some kind of educational prognosticator, is fraudulent. In the long run the idea is to eliminate all testing in order to make it possible for any student to get a free ride to college on the government.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

@Tellenbach Yes AP courses do have too much material, but I took them because regular classes are a literal joke and you don't learn anything. I did learn more taking AP classes compared to the regular counterparts, but it was mostly because I had to teach myself. I felt like some of my teachers in elective classes were more interactive and discussion based than AP classes. And yeah people teaching AP classes are forced to teach to the test. My AP lang teach literally gave us tips in case we didn't have time to read the passage and like if we're forced to rush through the passage then what's the point? So I'm not taking AP lit this year; I can learn more English on my own.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Phoenix Flame Array cosmic royal's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Oblivion, by Kelly Creagh.
    CHOOSE THE PATH THEY'LL NEVER TAKE

8w9 5w4 3w4 sx/sp/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Here's looking at Euclid by Alex Bellos

has anyone else here read it? Would love to discuss!
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

-Kahlil Gibran in The Prophet

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

The Final Decent by Rick Yancy.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    :}

New harry potter. I gave in. Aunt said it was good, cousin did, vent did. So yeap.

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Recently finished Listen Liberal by Thomas Frank. Brilliant book.

Anyone who wants to know how the Democratic Party became the party for Wall Street and neocons to support and why it seems like the economic policies (instead of the rhetoric) of the Democrats help powerful interests and how the so-called Reagan Democrats were ditched by the Democratic Party years before they became Republicans should read it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Cure: A Journey Into the Science of Mind Over Body.

This is a fascinating book about the placebo effect. I bet you didn't know that:

This revealed what the companies had been hiding: that in most cases (severely ill patients are an exception), antidepressant drugs such as Prozac have little effect over and above placebo. Meanwhile Benedetti has found that Valium, which is widely prescribed for anxiety disorders, has no effect unless patients know they are taking it. "The more we know about placebos," he says, "the more we learn that many positive outcomes of clinical trials are attributable to placebo effects."
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.