• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Marley and Me and A Confederacy of Dunces

I felt the need to laugh :)

PollyPeachum

MBTI Type
iNTp
I finished reading "the Cryptographer" today. I liked it, it's well written almost no-cliché and effective in communicating emotions in general. The author uses the short-sentence+ full-stop method magnificently:smile:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just finished Anathem...

Reading Still Life With Woodpecker upon a friend's recommendation.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm currently reading The Dice Man by George Cockcroft. I'm only 50 pages in and so far I'm finding it both intriguing and disturbing. However, I've just looked on wikipedia and it's supposed to be 'semi-comedic'. It's the story of a psychiatrist who decides to make decisions on his life by rolling dice. There's a lot of sexual content and controversial issues such as rape and murder :shock:

OK, I've given up on this book: it was just too disturbing. I think if I'd have carried on reading it I'd have ended up in an institution.

I've moved onto safer territory: Philip K. Dick - Valis lol

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
OK, I've given up on this book: it was just too disturbing. I think if I'd have carried on reading it I'd have ended up in an institution.

I've moved onto safer territory: Philip K. Dick - Valis lol
* Kuranes makes note of "dice" book *

Currently finishing up "The Know It All" ( non-fiction ) about a guy who reads the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. It's had its moments.

Starting Stephen Woodworth's series that begins with "Through Violet Eyes" about a world much like ours that has one type of human beings that can communicate with the dead. They are used in court cases as murder witnesses etc.

Starting Kenneth Fearing's "Clark Gifford's Body"

Starting "Lush Life" by Richard Price - a master of dialogue and inner city realism

Finished a great "new" ( to me ) science fiction author's book "Escapement" by Jay Lake. I then went out and got a book of his short stories.

PurpleCloud

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Breve Historia de la barbarie en Occidente by Edgar Morín

Antes del Fin by Ernesto Sábato

Haikus by Mario Benedetti

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
Has anyone ever read:

"The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Olsen Laney

and/or

"Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend ?

V

violaine

^Hmm, no I haven't. Sounds interesting.

Currently in the middle of "A Good Man is Hard to Find" (Short Stories) - Flannery O'Connor. 'Tis good so far.

S

Sniffles

Has anyone ever read:

"The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Olsen Laney

and/or

"Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend ?

No. Im still working on Junger here. Just finished reading about his recovery from the first of a grand total of 14 wounds he suffered during the war.

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday a few weeks ago and ordered those books. The excerpts and reviews were good. Seems like they would be helpful. I'll let you know how they are. :)

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm about to start Son of a Witch, the sequel to Wicked. Go ahead and revoke my lit degree now.

:heart: I loved that book, though not as much as I loved Wicked. It's an enjoyable read...then again, I've enjoyed almost every Gregory Maguire novel [except for Lost ...I just can't get through it :huh: ].

Currently and still working on getting through Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en [translated by W.J.F. Jenner]...it's a fantastic Chinese classic, though I need to take occasional breaks from it and read something else. I'd do well to look for James Rollins' Oracle sometime soon...or I could always reread something from my collection. :D

S

Sniffles

Later today I'll reread Judith Shklar's interesting article "Bergson and the Politics of Intuition". Shklar mentions Peguy a few times, since he was a great admirer of Bergson.

I might also glance through Richard Wolin's "Carl Schmitt, Political Existentialism, and the Total State" as well.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Graham Hancock - Supernatural: meetings with the ancient teachers of mankind

and

Karen Armstrong - The great transformation

S

Sniffles

Hopefully I'll brush up on my Maritain - thanks in part to my discussion with wedekit. ;)

So I'll read his article "The Concept of Sovereignty", which I believe ended up as the first or second chapter in his book Man and the State.

Very interesting book concerning modern political theory wedekit, you should look to see if your university's library has a copy.