Thread: What'cha Reading?

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Added to my reading list: You Will Die: The Burden of Modern Taboos by Robert Arthur

https://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com/.../bibliography/

Rob Arthur defines a taboo as “a topic that a culture prevents its people from discussing freely,” and this book is based around the philosophy that “taboos are a burden on society…[and] hinder progress toward greater happiness.” Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while knows the truth of that statement: if it weren’t for the general ignorance about sex in general and sex work in particular, an ignorance maintained by sexual taboos, no reasonable person would accept laws against consensual sexual behavior and the ridiculous lies about the harms which supposedly result from sexuality would be widely recognized as the ravings of miserable prudes. Arthur also discusses taboos against drugs and bodily wastes, though the latter doesn’t get nearly as much space as sex and drugs because there is no vast, expensive and oppressive “War on Poo” whose chief result is human misery. In a sense, You Will Die is two books in one; it is written in a pleasant, conversational style and presents fascinating, often obscure facts in such a way as to make it a great pleasure read, but is both exhaustively researched and so extensively footnoted that it will make an important addition to my reference library.
    You Will Die: The Burden of Modern Taboos: Robert Arthur: 9781936239436: Amazon.com: Books

A book that vigorously defends heroin users and sex workers? In You Will Die: The Burden of Modern Taboos Robert Arthur does that and more to demonstrate that taboos are not relics of primitive societies. America has its own ridiculous phobias and beliefs that cause tedium, suffering, and death. The government and the media use these taboos to lie and mislead. It is not a conspiracy, but by pushing panic for votes and viewers they thwart our pursuit of happiness.

You Will Die exposes the fallacies and the history behind our taboos on excrement, sex, drugs, and death. Arthur uses racy readability and rigorous documentation to raze sacred shrines of political correctness on the left and of conventional wisdom on the right. From the proper way to defecate to how to reach nirvana, anticipate the unexpected. It is not simply a novel exploration of sex and drugs, but also of individuality, liberty, and the meaning of life. You Will Die gives readers a new way of seeing their world and allows them to make a more informed choice about living an authentic life.

Winner of the 2008 Montaigne Medal awarded for most thought-provoking independent book.

“… ya gotta fight back against the Sarah Palin ‘idiot herd’ with something.”
    Wayne Coyne, Lead Singer, The Flaming Lips

“… one of my favorite books …”
    Mark Frauenfelder, Editor, Boing Boing

“This book is a MUST READ! I loved it.”
    Dr. Mark Benn, Psychologist, Colorado State University

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

The Final Act of Living: Reflections of a Longtime Hospice Nurse by Barbara Karnes RN
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

This app I paid for lets me catalog and share my book collection/library.

Sort It! Apps | treborillusion's Book Collection

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    638 sp/so

Think Like a Freak and the 1st book of the Durarara light novel series.

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Emotional Design. Don't remember the author off the top of my head, but I've read this other book. Both are excellent overviews of the psychosocial element of good design.

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

God I love her.

Privileged Sh!tlord Array ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by allosaurus View Post
    God I love her.
    I just saw this movie last night. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Should read Fromm's To Have or To Be or Art of Being if you are interested in that topic

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    I just saw this movie last night. Good stuff.
    Is it? I've been avoiding watching it because sometimes movies don't do books justice. I should give it a try. I've read the book 4 times now so I'm a little obsessed.