User Tag List

Page 19 of 214 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Just finished His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. (The Golden Compass etc.)
    Loved the trilogy.
    I love those books so much. Lyra's descent into the underworld was one of the most moving and heartbreaking scenes I've ever read. I cried a lot.

As for me (sigh), I am reading Of Mice & Men and Romeo & Juliet with the kids. I have a Snicket book in progress, and last week I started The Wind-up Bird Chronicles.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Array Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Three books: The Two Towers, J. R. R. Tolkien; Wheelock's Latin; Latin: An Intensive Course, Moreland & Fleischer.

It's always something... Array PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Blowout by Catherine Coulter. Meh. Pretty decent premise, not so great writing.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTP

Watching The English, Kate Fox

A fascinating insight into the rules of English behaviour, from food and sex to rites of passage and work.

~dangerous curves ahead~ Array
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default 2!

South of the Border, West of the Sun. - Murakami. A slim elegy to childhood, memory and the memory of love. The pain of choices and circumstances. How for some things, there'll never be resolution.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman. Where do forgotten gods go? A read of journeys, fallen gods, new gods. Sex, sadness. Redemption.

Edit: Dansker, the English have sex?

I'm reading "I Killed", which is an anthology of anecdotes from stand-up comedians about performance, heckling, life on the road, and similar stuff. Great read for the aspiring comedian in me

I'm also reading "The Last Temptation Of Christ" by Nikos Kazantzakis. I don't like it as much as the film so far, but it's still good. It's a fascinating story along the lines of counterfactual history. This story is such an inspiring one that I find it depressing that it was universally denounced by every Christian sect.

I just finished "As The Romans Do" by Alan Epstein. Epstein is an American professor of European history who moved to Rome with his wife and two young sons in 1990. It's a collection of essays about Rome, his family's assimilation into Italian life, and Italian culture from an outsider's perspective. Like a lot of travel writing, it says as much about where the author came from as it does about where he went. I recommend it highly for anyone who plans to visit Rome or just has an interest in Italy.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Re: What I'm reading

Born On A Blue Day, a memoir by Daniel Tammet

I actually have not started this one yet but I am looking forward to picking it up from the library.

Tammet is an autistic savant with an amazing capacity for numbers and a rare ability to describe how he thinks in vivid details. He recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit over a 5 hour period and he's said to be able to learn new languages fluently in a matter of weeks.

Here is a snippet of the editorial review from Publisher's Weekly:
    "... Besides being able to effortlessly multiply and divide huge sums in his head with the speed and accuracy of a computer, Tammet, the subject of the 2005 documentary Brainman, learned Icelandic in a single week and recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit, breaking the European record. He also experiences synesthesia, an unusual neurological syndrome that enables him to experience numbers and words as "shapes, colors, textures and motions." Tammet traces his life from a frustrating, withdrawn childhood and adolescence to his adult achievements, which include teaching in Lithuania, achieving financial independence with an educational Web site and sustaining a long-term romantic relationship."

For you experts, what would Tammet's MBTI type be?

MBTI
    INTP

Just finished- Enders Shadow
    Currently reading- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Gonna read- Furies of Calderon
    Music Virtuoso/INTP/Apple User.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Array Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Zorpheus View Post
    Just finished- Enders Shadow
    Currently reading- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Gonna read- Furies of Calderon
    Classic. But I haven't read it :P.

Just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I thought it was pretty good until Chapter 28. Then I got out a pen and marked the whole thing up because I thought it was amazing.

I'm about to start Travels With Charley by Steinbeck. Tomorrow I'm gonna pick up The Art of War, The Prince and The Republic. The three essentials as my professor puts it.
    "We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed now in universities, looking uncomfortably to the world we inherit."
    Tom Hayden