User Tag List

Page 189 of 214 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2134

Thread: What'cha Reading?

Default Gamelife

@Cellmold @Gish @Mane @phobik @sunyata may also be interested in

Gamelife by Michael W. Clune

I am enjoying the memoir and the kind of ekphrastic treatment Clune gives each game.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes Cellmold, Petrahygen liked this post

I'm doing this thing at the moment of attempting to be hyper-efficient with my time, including my time reading, so I'm trying to read a chapter a day of the following books, I'm not always able to say its a chapter but its usually pretty close:-

- One of the Teach Yourself books series, this month its Film Studies
    - One of the Ben Thompson series, this month its Badass: Birth of a Legend (I read Badass, the first in the series last month, I'm planning on reading Badass: Ultimate Deathmatch, next month)
    - A philosophy book, for which I have an interpretative text of Epictetus' Art of Living and Richard Holloway's secular humanist homage Looking In The Distance (I read Fear and Trembling by Kirkegaard and Letters of a Stoic by Seneca already this last two months)
    - A "Fun" read, for which I'm reading Geek Widsom by Stephen H Segal, its pretty good, a page of writing about a quote from a film per page pretty much
    - A psychology read, for which I've got a book called Make Your Brain Work by Amy Brann, which so far is not proving to be one I like very much, though some of the information is new to me

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5(?)
    Socionics
    LII

"The Courage to Act" -- Ben Bernanke

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    @Cellmold @Gish @Mane @phobik @sunyata may also be interested in

Gamelife by Michael W. Clune

I am enjoying the memoir and the kind of ekphrastic treatment Clune gives each game.

This was featured on Kotaku recently. Cool.
    the bees made honey in the lion's skull

Likes Vasilisa liked this post

Nᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ Fᴇᴇʟs Lɪᴋᴇ Hᴏᴍᴇ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

Beloved by Toni Morrison

I'm so alone
    Trying to find my way back home to you
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The Science of AHCC: Japan's Medical Breakthrough in Immunotherapy

A nice intro to the mushroom extract used widely in Japan to treat the side-effects of chemo in cancer patients.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

Starting "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker over Fall break.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

I read P.J. Geary's The Myth of Nations. Highly recommended reading.

Geary, P.J.: The Myth of Nations: The Medieval Origins of Europe. (Paperback)

The Myth of Nations:
    The Medieval Origins of Europe

Patrick J. Geary

Modern-day Europeans by the millions proudly trace back their national identities to the Celts, Franks, Gauls, Goths, Huns, or Serbs--or some combination of the various peoples who inhabited, traversed, or pillaged their continent more than a thousand years ago. According to Patrick Geary, this is historical nonsense. The idea that national character is fixed for all time in a simpler, distant past is groundless, he argues in this unflinching reconsideration of European nationhood. Few of the peoples that many Europeans honor as sharing their sense of ''nation'' had comparably homogeneous identities; even the Huns, he points out, were firmly united only under Attila's ten-year reign.

Geary dismantles the nationalist myths about how the nations of Europe were born. Through rigorous analysis set in lucid prose, he contrasts the myths with the actual history of Europe's transformation between the fourth and ninth centuries--the period of grand migrations that nationalists hold dear. The nationalist sentiments today increasingly taken for granted in Europe emerged, he argues, only in the nineteenth century. Ironically, this phenomenon was kept alive not just by responsive populations--but by complicit scholars.

Ultimately, Geary concludes, the actual formation of European peoples must be seen as an extended process that began in antiquity and continues in the present. The resulting image is a challenge to those who anchor contemporary antagonisms in ancient myths--to those who claim that immigration and tolerance toward minorities despoil ''nationhood.'' As Geary shows, such ideologues--whether Le Pens who champion ''the French people born with the baptism of Clovis in 496'' or Milosevics who cite early Serbian history to claim rebellious regions--know their myths but not their history.

The Myth of Nations will be intensely debated by all who understood that a history that does not change, that reduces the complexities of many centuries to a single, eternal moment, isn't history at all.

I also read Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities. A must-read for anyone interested in nationalism.

Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism by Benedict Anderson — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism

Benedict Anderson

What makes people love and die for nations, as well as hate and kill in their name? While many studies have been written on nationalist political movements, the sense of nationality--the personal and cultural feeling of belonging to a nation--has not received proportionate attention. In this widely acclaimed work, Benedict Anderson examines the creation and global spread of the 'imagined communities' of nationality.

Anderson explores the processes that created these communities: the territorialization of religious faiths, the decline of antique kingship, the interaction between capitalism and print, the development of vernacular languages-of-state, and changing conceptions of time. He shows how an originary nationalism born in the Americas was modularly adopted by popular movements in Europe, by the imperialist powers, and by the anti-imperialist resistances in Asia and Africa.

This revised edition includes two new chapters, one of which discusses the complex role of the colonialist state's mindset in the develpment of Third World nationalism, while the other analyses the processes by which, all over the world, nations came to imagine themselves as old.

Senior Member Array RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

History of sexuality (Michel Foucault).

413EB4KRG6L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ISTp None

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.
    ~I'm looking California, and feeling Minnesota.

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance