User Tag List

Page 188 of 214 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2138

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Force Decisions: A Citizen's Guide to Understanding How Police Determine Appropriate Use of Force by Rory Miller.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Corpus delicti of Juli Zeh

Interesting idea for dystopia. Health of society absolutely controlled by government. Any actions which can cause disease are illegal (cigarettes or being in the unsafe zones like... forest), there are obligatory examinations of health.
    Style average so far, but I like the idea very much.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Senior Member Array

"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace.

So far I feel... duped. Cheated, maybe. Sold a false bill of goods. I bought the tenth anniversary printing featuring a foreword by Dave Eggers. In retrospect I wish I hadn't read that foreword:

In commissioning this foreword, the publisher wanted a very brief and breezy essay that might convince a new reader of Infinite Jest that the book is approachable, effortless even -- a barrel of monkeys' worth of fun to read. Well. It's easy to agree with the former, more difficult to agree with the latter. The book is approachable, yes, because it doesn't include complex scientific or historical content, nor does it require any particular expertise or erudition. As verbose as it is, and as long as it is, it never wants to punish you for some knowledge you lack, nor does it wasn't too send you to the dictionary every few pages.

The book is everything Eggers says it isn't. It absolutely punishes you for some knowledge you lack, and it sends you to the dictionary not every few pages but at least once every page.

I'm supremely skeptical now. I fear I've wasted money on a three-pound hunk of dead tree that, so far, is terribly pretentious and a slog to wade through.
    Likes Vasilisa liked this post

MBTI
    eSTP

360 degree leader for work
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

The Martian

It's okay. I think it lacks a degree of technical rigor, is written simply, but is nonetheless an enjoyable and funny thought experiment that feels early Crichton-y, who was my favorite author.

The movie was good, but jumped the shark at the end, I'm hoping the book adds some context to what was an otherwise absurd "Iron Man" scene.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

“You simple oaf!" she implored. "I never loved you! Now begone. Begone!”

Her monstrous "captor" seized her and she tore away her frail garments. I felt my heart tear away with them; and I watched, eyes filling with tears like pools of blood, as she pressed her fevered body against her abominable "kidnapper." In another moment they had bounded off beyond my reach, but my wretched heart allowed me nothing more than to fall, sobbing, anguished beyond belief. My mind filled with self-loathing as I recalled the love I had wasted on a woman who is now repulsive to me – the sleepless nights spent tossing and turning as wanton images of love-making and my beloved Lady Loomas ran unbidden through my head. The thought of her, just a dwelling away, sharing her body with weaker, lesser males - men who were beneath me, the mighty Zombiac… beneath me in -

”Fool!” I stammered, pounding my fist into the frozen earth. “Oh, Zombiac! You are such a fool!”
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

MBTI
    INFJ

Forbidden Colours by Yukio Mishima

It's incredible so far. I'm enjoying it more than I did his other works. That's not to say his other books are bad, but this is some other level stuff.

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving by Pete Walker
    Likes Osprey, Kheledon, Vasilisa liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Putin's Kleptocracy: Who Owns Russia?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.