Page 178 of 213 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2130

Thread: What'cha Reading?

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The Book of Barely Imagined Beings, by Caspar Henderson. It's like a medieval bestiary (which I've always found fascinating and hilarious) except it's about actual animals that share our planet, and not about geese that grow on trees.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Alternating between Jung, Crowley, the Tao Te Ching, statistics notes, and I'm meant to be starting a novel called The Book of Chaos. But really I don't read much, I just wish I did. So I get through a small section then want to go to sleep.

Just read Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (writer of the acclaimed Fables graphic novel series). Four characters (1 human boy & 3 talking animals), each from a different world, find themselves in another world, band together, and are on the run immediately from the sinister Cutters (who use magic swords to change people into p.c. drones). Great suspense on different levels--there's the chase, which is almost nonstop, and then there's the suspense of awaited revelations (where are they? why? etc.). I’d like to see Willingham write more prose fiction.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Federalist Edition Volume 2, Number 1 Winter 2015
    "It's hard for them to simper and bow without heads." - Littlefinger

"A man with great ambition and no morals, I wouldn't bet against you." -Varys

Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - for heavy ones they cannot.- Machiavelli

The condition of man... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone.- Hobbes

HP House: Slytherin
    GOT House: Lannister

Social Impure

Angels and Demons Ed Paula Guran, it was on offer, some of these anthologies are good.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. It's sentimental stuff about people's lives, little essays collected from an advice column. I'm enjoying it even though advice column stuff makes me feel uncomfortable, like a voyeur. Or that could be one of the reasons I enjoy it, getting glimpses of the things people struggle with, the things they're afraid to talk about.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Not sure I'll finish this one. The main character's problems bore me. The setup is contrived for my liking. Disappointing. I'd heard good things about it. I like the supernatural parts, but the characters, setting, premise, and other aspects aren't engaging enough.

Black Hole by Charles Burns. So it's...uh...yeah. Stuff's happening. I don't know what to make of this one yet. I can't even tell what it's driving toward, which is unusual. I don't like these characters, either, but the mystery and general WTFness are pulling me along.

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm reading the Foundation novels from Asimov. Finally. Don't know why it took me so long, they're very good and almost feel lighthearted, young.

Older science fiction is fun, in the sense that it's interesting seeing how those in the 50s, 60s, 70s saw humanity and technology progressing, only to see a trajectory be completely different.

Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'm reading the Foundation novels from Asimov. Finally. Don't know why it took me so long, they're very good and almost feel lighthearted, young.

Older science fiction is fun, in the sense that it's interesting seeing how those in the 50s, 60s, 70s saw humanity and technology progressing, only to see a trajectory be completely different.
    Even in the darker story arcs in the Trilogy there was that feeling they had back then of technological optimism.

MBTI
    :}

This horrible Danielle Steel book that my english teacher assigned. Education now a days...