INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Default Review of Newton's Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Newton's Cannon by Gregory Keyes.
    I finished Newton's Cannon last night. It was entertaining enough to keep me reading, and even hard to put down through the last third of the novel.

The book's hero is a 14-year-old Ben Franklin - which indicates that the novel was set in the year 1720, although the year in which the book's events take place is never stated. Newton's Cannon is a work of historical science fiction. Imagine what the world would have been like if Isaac Newton, during his alchemical experiments, had found a way to communicate with the aether. Newton called his creation "philosopher's mercury," not to be confused with the element mercury. This invention is effectively the same as using magic, although with a scientific basis. Thusly, Newton becomes the greatest sorcerer of his time.

Of course, where there is one sorcerer there are bound to be others. And poor Ben, who is apprenticed to his brother in the printing business, finds himself unwittingly caught in the middle of some international intrigue involving disputes between France and Great Britain. Of course, in the presence of this new-found magic, the Franklin brothers are not merely in the possession of a printing press, they have a machine which communicates over vast distances instantaneously. These machines, called aetherschreibers, aren't terribly uncommon. Such miracles are in fact fairly commonplace, and the Franklins merely use one to print up news stories "broadcast" to them from Europe. It is somewhat like our wireless transmissions, only they occur instantaneously via the aether.

Ben Franklin, being a very intellectually-minded and curious young man, begins to experiment with his brother's aetherschreiber and finds a way to "tune" the device to any "frequency," a feat that magicians had either been working on and failed at, or considered very dangerous because it makes it possible to spy on the communications of others. The latter were correct in their fears, and after Ben's innocent discovery, all hell busts loose in the novel.

The plot of Newton's Cannon is not straight-forward, but has many twists and unexpected turns of event. It was enough to keep my interest going, and that's saying quite a lot.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)

Defying the Crowd: Cultivating Creativity in a Culture of Conformity by Robert J. Sternberg and Todd I. Lubart.
    And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country . . . wait, this is 2016.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

'Orlando' by Virginia Woolf. I've read a few of her other books; enjoying her writing style in this one so far; flows really nicely.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

"A World Restored" by Henry Kissinger. Great book so far.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

A country so frozen in time..
    "There are so many things to battle, why fight yourself?" ~The Thieves

"A fickle heart is the only constant in this world." ~Turnip-Head

~ Melancholic - 70%Si/65%Te/55%Fi/55%Ne - Trainee Regiment ~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Eat, Pray, Love.

J/K
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Eat, Pray, Love.

J/K
    Even though you're joking about "Eat, Pray, Love", you might actually like another of Elizabeth Gilbert's books called "The Last American Man" about Eustace Conway.

/directive INFJ stuff
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I'm feeling like a traitor, I haven't read for weeks. I must read tomorrow or I will die... no, I must study for history class. I'll read a history book. That's it! I'm reading a history book. It's called 'Perspektiv på historien 1b'.

MBTI
    FiSi
    Enneagram
    937 sp/so

Polite Lies by Kyoko Mori

I recently read Heavier Than Heaven, a Kurt Cobain biography by Charles R. Cross. It's an intriguing read, but flawed as a biography because it crosses the line into fiction at some points (for example, there are details about the last few hours of Cobain's life that no one could possibly know about) and the author presents too many of his own opinions and psychological analyses as the absolute truth.
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Emotional Healing at Warp Speed: The Power of EMDR by David Grand. A fascinating account of a technique for relieving trauma from a psychotherapist. This technique is allegedly able to resolve decades old traumas in a single session.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.