"Shadow of the Torturer" by Gene Wolfe
    How do you like it?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How do you like it?
    I'm not that far into it yet, but so far I like it.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

amateur cartographer Array kquirk's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

How do you like it?
    I finished "Shadow of the Torturer" and wanted to give you a better review of it than I was able to when you first asked.

I really liked it. There seems to be a lot of layers to it. Some events keep being referred to, but aren't explained fully, or resolved, so there's some mystery as to what's really going on. It might be because I ended up reading it in short spurts, but the real action part of the story seemed to start very late in the book. However, it was intriguing enough that I'm very much looking forward to starting book 2.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I finished "Shadow of the Torturer" and wanted to give you a better review of it than I was able to when you first asked.

I really liked it. There seems to be a lot of layers to it. Some events keep on being referred to, but aren't explained fully, or resolved, so there's some mystery as to what's really going on. It might be because I ended up reading it in short spurts, but the real action part of the story seemed to start very late in the book. However, it was intriguing enough that I'm very much looking forward to starting book 2.
    That is certainly true. I love it. It is one of my favorite books. There is a lot of Ti-explanation there, but if you keep on being sensible instead of nerdy, you will find it much more rewarding in its continued mysteriousness than in the 'ultimate' solutions you could encounter (which, anyway, you can only guess at when you have finished the whole series).

Gene Wolfe is one of the few writers whose intelligence has really impressed me.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Now reading The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, by Sam Kean... quite fascinating so far

Before that read two Mary Roach books... Stiff and Gulp. Both quite edutaining... I blame NPR for the fact that I HAD to read them I'd definitely recommend all three
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

That is certainly true. I love it. It is one of my favorite books. There is a lot of Ti-explanation there, but if you keep on being sensible instead of nerdy, you will find it much more rewarding in its continued mysteriousness than in the 'ultimate' solutions you could encounter (which, anyway, you can only guess at when you have finished the whole series).

Gene Wolfe is one of the few writers whose intelligence has really impressed me.
    I just started "The Claw of the Conciliator" and I went How did I miss that it's all about the possibilities? I should be letting my imagination run wild with this story, instead of keeping it on a leash. Brilliant!
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Phenomenology of Perception, Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Senior Member Array Cloud of Thunder's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    Cool. How is that?
    The only way out is through. The faster you're in, the better.