Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2134

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

My Goodreads Review of The Book Thief so far.

The Book Review
    The Taste of Hype.
    Featuring:
    A girl- a book- Chrisopher Walken- four senses- some helpful clues- an exaggeration.
    The sky smelled like Jew. A girl, Diane, went to work, her feet crunching through the red leaves of a New England fall. She walked to her desk. The sky dripped with dreary black books that day, and one had landed on her desk with the sound of anticipation. A tall woman appeared with a uniform and offered her the book. Diane declined politely, her fingers running over the tattered binding. Diane took the book home that night. When she got home, she threw her bag on the desk and began to read eagerly. I watched her, though I was busy doing other things like stealing souls. My name is Death. I am the narrator.

***Some Helpful Clues***
    Pretend death is read by Christopher Walken.
    Prepare yourself for 550 pages of this.

(The rest of the review.)
    Death narrates this book as he follows a relatable adolescent girl, Liesel Meminger, who is an orphan adopted by the Hubermanns during WWII Germany. There’s a Jew involved, some thieving, some quirky details to bring you into the scene, some decent character development, etc. Based on these things alone, it’s a good book.
    The concept is pretty neat and the writing style is quirky, simple, and death seems to like metaphors. He also has some form of synesthesia. (You'll see what I mean.)

***Why not five stars?***

The New York Times review on the cover says- “BRILLIANT and hugely ambitious… It’s the kind of book that can be LIFE CHANGING.”

Yea okay New York Times,*wink*. Honestly another reviewer wrote, “It’s fine”, and I have to agree. It just becomes a tad predictable after a while. I’m writing this review about three quarters of the way through, and I already have a good idea about what the ending will be like. Everything is enjoyable and refreshing, but it’s missing a certain element of surprise. Anyway, I’m guessing three or four stars, but will update when I’m done.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Just finished re-reading The Shining. Began The Dark Tower series, finally. I've owned it for about 10yrs, & kept getting distracted by other books.

Different flavor compared to King's other novels. I like it, thus far.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Beyond Human Nature: How Culture and Experience Shape the Human Mind by Jesse Prinz

Interesting peer review here.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

The Sun Also Rises
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

You Learn by Living by Eleanor Roosevelt, I like it probably will read some of her other books now.

The Best of Poul Anderson, I pretty much read all his other books so I got this anthology now, finished Virgin Planet a couple of days ago, it was pulp fiction, he wanted it to be something more studied and the afterword full of comment about astronomy and possibility screams to high heaven of it but the garish cover art of a women wearing nothing but some shadows sort of sets the tone.

It was a sci fi book about a lost colony of women which a male explorer sets down on only to discover there's a cult grown up about the expected arrival of "men" and he doesnt fit their deified descriptions and expectations, then the power brokers decide they might like to kill him anyway because, well, his arrival threatens the sweet deal they have in place.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Fabric of the Cosmos, 1984, the third hunger games (Mockingjay), and that conscious universe one that @Moniker mentioned in that thread.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

Today I finished Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein

It is a sad day. When I started reading this book, I found that I had less than half of it left by the first day and had to carefully control myself and savor the content. This is one of the finest stories ever told.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Data, A Love Story: How I Gamed Online Dating to Meet My Match, by Amy Webb. I couldn't help myself. I'd seen her talk before, and I read the excerpt on Slate, and the cover was appealingly designed, and...it was worth it, even though I had to fend off stupid questions like, "why are you reading that? Are you doing that OKCupid stuff now, too? Trynna find a boyfriend?" I almost needed a book cover as though I were reading some salacious material.

The book was pretty entertaining, though. I'd recommend it, even if you aren't looking for an online boyfriend.
    Last edited by Orangey; 02-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Just started reading A Bend in the River, by V.S. Naipal, last night. 20 pages in... thus far it seems very promising, and I can say with near-certainty that I'm really going to like it.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Xilinx/12.3/ISE_DS/EDK/sw/XilinxProcessorIPLib/drivers/uartlite_v2_00_a/doc/html/api/index.html
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.