Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Good God! The Hunger Games books were terrible! I didn't expect much from them to begin with since they're YA and all the teeny-weenies love them, but they managed to fall considerably below my (already adjusted, already low) quality expectations for these kinds of books. Horrendous writing (to speak of technique alone), poor character development, the worst world-building I've ever come across, an ad-hoc, illogical plot (with some crappy, inconsequential romantic arc thrown in), no likeable characters, and just...really substandard story telling.

I mean, I know it's supposed to be kind of sucky by design because YA = semi-literate moron (apparently), but the level of bad going on in these books just genuinely took me by surprise.

I find that after I read this kind of shit, I really can't find it in my heart to agree with the people who claim that, "well, if it gets the kids reading, then it's all good!"
    I didn't think they were that bad, I enjoyed them. I wouldn't say it was great literature, but they weren't nearly as bad as you think.

Then again, Stranger in a Strange Land is a classic and I loathe that p.o.s.

Sniffles

Beyond Essence: Ernst Troeltsch as Historian and Theorist of Christianity (Harvard Theological Studies)
    -Lori K. Pearson

MBTI
    IsFJ

I just finished Agatha Christie's Murder in Mesopotamia. Ah, how I missed the Dame's books.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Good God! The Hunger Games books were terrible! I didn't expect much from them to begin with since they're YA and all the teeny-weenies love them, but they managed to fall considerably below my (already adjusted, already low) quality expectations for these kinds of books. Horrendous writing (to speak of technique alone), poor character development, the worst world-building I've ever come across, an ad-hoc, illogical plot (with some crappy, inconsequential romantic arc thrown in), no likeable characters, and just...really substandard story telling.

I mean, I know it's supposed to be kind of sucky by design because YA = semi-literate moron (apparently), but the level of bad going on in these books just genuinely took me by surprise.

I find that after I read this kind of shit, I really can't find it in my heart to agree with the people who claim that, "well, if it gets the kids reading, then it's all good!"
    I got to page 10 and had to stop. Not sure how you made it through all three.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Er, it's none of my business, I guess, but... If you dislike YA, why did you choose to read the series? I'm kind of curious...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Er, it's none of my business, I guess, but... If you dislike YA, why did you choose to read the series? I'm kind of curious...
    Because a friend insisted that they were "actually" good.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm in the middle of book #2 and really enjoying it.
    To each, their own, I guess...

I was kind of wondering why you actually finished all three books if you thought they sucked so bad, but, hey whatever.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm in the middle of book #2 and really enjoying it.
    To each, their own, I guess...

I was kind of wondering why you actually finished all three books if you thought they sucked so bad, but, hey whatever.
    How would I have known how bad it was, then? I won't lie, I plow through for the single reason that I can gain credibility enough to rant about how bad it is.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I usually read a dozend things simultaneously and seldom finish any of it. But I am trying to change that habit:

last one finished:

about to finish any day now (yes, I'm still on it and won't give up):

Up next:

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari