• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished The Alienist by Caleb Carr and thought it was very good, one of the best fiction books I've read in awhile. Next up: The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. Also slowly working my way through Conversations with Toni Morrison.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Rob Halford's autobiography - Confess. He's just a delightful leather daddy.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just finished Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James Hornfischer.

"The first time the South Dakota's main battery was tested with a full nine-gun broadside, the wave of blast pressure pushed through the passageway where Captain Thomas Gatch was standing, tearing his pants right off him."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) by Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling.

Lark

Elric of Melnibone, its such a good read too, such a good read. Way better than Game of Thrones and all the other stuff it indirectly inspired.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Great Influenza by John Barry; it's about the Spanish flu of 1918.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished The Alienist by Caleb Carr and thought it was very good, one of the best fiction books I've read in awhile. Next up: The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. Also slowly working my way through Conversations with Toni Morrison.

The Alienist is so fucking good, oml. Please read the sequel, The Angel of Darkness if you haven't yet.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Fairness and Freedom.

Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies, New Zealand and the United States. -- David Hackett Fischer.

Kas

Fabula rasa
The Alienist is so fucking good, oml. Please read the sequel, The Angel of Darkness if you haven't yet.

After I read The Alienist I kept thinking about it for the looong time. That's always the trait of the great book.
I didn't know there is a sequel...

Kas

Fabula rasa
I just finished "Little women" and I liked the first part very much. With the second part I was slightly disappointed ( with all of this woman must serve and things like that) , but well... different times I suppose.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished "Little women" and I liked the first part very much. With the second part I was slightly disappointed ( with all of this woman must serve and things like that) , but well... different times I suppose.

You should watch the movie with Saiorse Ronan and Laura Dern that came out a year or two ago. I think that addresses some of the stuff you are talking about.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
'Eastward to Tartary: Travels in the Balkans, the Middle East, and the Caucasus' - Robert Kaplan

Reealllly enjoying this; almost done. It is dated at this point, I suppose, but better late than never. At least I will be more knowledgeable of the areas up until 2000.

------
And just started book one of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive fantasy series, 'The Way of Kings.'

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid

3rd novel of his I've read this year. Very unique narrative style this one's got; it's a parody of self-help/business books.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
'Eastward to Tartary: Travels in the Balkans, the Middle East, and the Caucasus' - Robert Kaplan

Reealllly enjoying this; almost done. It is dated at this point, I suppose, but better late than never. At least I will be more knowledgeable of the areas up until 2000.

------
And just started book one of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive fantasy series, 'The Way of Kings.'

Highly recommend Balkan Ghosts as well if you haven't read it :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Highly recommend Balkan Ghosts as well if you haven't read it :)

He's the sort of author/journalist I really like, so that is already on my list. :yes:

Edit: Have you read any Kapuscinski? I stumbled across him (Polish journalist of the latter half of the 1900's) during quarantine, and have since gotten three more of his books.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm torn between starting House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and The Invention of Nature by Andrea Wulf. The former is a novel about a Chilean family through the generations, the latter a biography of scientist and polymath Alexander von Humboldt.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone else read 'Imperium' by Ryszard Kapuscinski? This is the fourth book of his that I've read, and I'm wrapping it up (I obviously appreciate his insight and observations), and this book has proven to be so informative. There is so much we are not taught in school, or even aware of in terms of the rest of the world. I think it's why this (journalism/travel memoirs/history/biography) is one of my favorite non fiction genres. I like piecing together my knowledge of the rest of the world and the conditions other people face, or realities of other people's life. Gives so much perspective.