• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Simultaneously reading "The Starless Sea" by Erin Morgenstern and "You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington" by Alexis Coe.

Lark

Reading Jennifer Government and The Corn Maiden, enjoying the former a lot, although it seems a little cliche reading it now it was probably cutting edge when it was written and neo-liberalism or free markets where more of a popular ideology, the later is creepy, like I've not read far into it at all and its got me creeped out.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Reading Jennifer Government and The Corn Maiden, enjoying the former a lot, although it seems a little cliche reading it now it was probably cutting edge when it was written and neo-liberalism or free markets where more of a popular ideology, the later is creepy, like I've not read far into it at all and its got me creeped out.

do you like horror short stories? Have you ever read Nocturnes by John Connolly?

Lark

do you like horror short stories? Have you ever read Nocturnes by John Connolly?

I think I've read that, the title is familiar anyway, although I'm not sure about the author.

Looked it up on Amazon there, was sure that I'd read this book but I'm only really recalling the first story. Still, I read a lot so I dont know.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I think I've read that, the title is familiar anyway, although I'm not sure about the author.

Looked it up on Amazon there, was sure that I'd read this book but I'm only really recalling the first story. Still, I read a lot so I dont know.

John Connolly (born 31 May 1968) is an Irish writer who is best known for his series of novels starring private detective Charlie Parker.

Noctures has a Chalrie Parker Novella in it, but the other stories are truly chilling and horrific in some really satisfying ways. There's a lot of old folklore seeded in. If you get the chance, I think you'd really like it at least as a re read.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im reading Lucia, which is a Korean written web novel about European historical inspired novel about a women named Lucia and her adventure with her husband, the evil blood thirsty Duke. Who fell smitten with her. A lot of sex. This is totally a bored at home milf book. Its my second time reading it. Makes sense since im literally bored at home

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished Malcolm X's Autobiography. One of the rawest, most inspiring books I've read in my life. I affirm Malcolm X is one of history's most misunderstood characters, and encourage everyone to read it!

As for right now, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am about 3/4 the way through a book that contains all of Nabakov's short stories, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Also recently started 'The River Congo' by Peter Forbath.

And about 1/3 through 'The Bridge' by Iain Banks, which is interesting. I only originally knew of all of his fantastic 'Culture' Sci fi novels, but have recently been reading his non Sci fi or partial Sci fi novels, finding them very interesting.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The Deficit Myth: Modern Monetary Theory and How to Build a Better Economy by Stephanie Kelton

Lark

I just finished Malcolm X's Autobiography. One of the rawest, most inspiring books I've read in my life. I affirm Malcolm X is one of history's most misunderstood characters, and encourage everyone to read it!

As for right now, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.

It is an absolutely brilliant book, I read it after watching the movie, I wish I'd read it first as the movie is good but not perfect by any stretch.

I bought X's book because it was recommended by the NME (new music express) in the UK in one of their "right on" lists of literature for anyone starting uni, it was popular in the Virgin Megastores and HMV stores book sections, and I did not expect a lot, I'd read Bokowski (spelling) on their recommendation and thought it was rubbish but X's book I could not put down from the first couple of pages.

Its one of the few books that I thought was like a living thing. Its also got a great section, which has been cited a lot, I think even on a par with Anna Freud, in social services, child services literature.

He writes about how his already difficult circumstances where more or less broken by child services intervention and his terrible experience of the foster system, delinquency, criminal justice system is all laid out, I think it was only his good fortune that he actually was articulate and got involved in challenging oppression as he could have been on course to join the masses of anonymous statistics resulting from poorly executed family interventions.

I know he died in the course of his agitation, everyone dies, not everyone actually lives or leaves an impression on their times as he did. Also, for all his talk about the right to defence, the right to armed and violent self-defence at that, he was shot to death and was unarmed at the time, none of his supporters at that gathering were armed etc. Which I think is something to think about.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea. Really good REAL hippy libertarian /anarchist shit rather than lame ass Republicans trying to sound hip.

Yes, [mention]Saprophytic Aphrodite[/mention]Saprophyitic Aphrodite, I've had too much to drink. I stand by it, though.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea. Really good REAL hippy libertarian /anarchist shit rather than lame ass Republicans trying to sound hip.

Yes, [mention]Saprophytic Aphrodite[/mention]Saprophyitic Aphrodite, I've had too much to drink. I stand by it, though.

Hahahaha... I was gonna say something about you drinking in response to your other quote, but I decided to leave you alone. This time. :newwink:
I can always tell when you are drinking and I find it amusing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hahahaha... I was gonna say something about you drinking in response to your other quote, but I decided to leave you alone. This time. :newwink:
I can always tell when you are drinking and I find it amusing.

It didn't work, for some reason. For some people, they can't be tagged. I don't know why. I blame the Belluminati.