Page 118 of 213 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2129

Thread: What'cha Reading?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    I'm starting Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel (by Susanna Clarke) for the 3rd time. Hopefully, I'll read it to the end this time.
    I really liked this book, how come you couldn't get through it? And who's forcing you to read it?

I'm reading K Pax, a book on exorcism called The Rite and another book called the Moveable Feast from Lonely Planet.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    I'm starting Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel (by Susanna Clarke) for the 3rd time. Hopefully, I'll read it to the end this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I really liked this book, how come you couldn't get through it? And who's forcing you to read it?
    It took me a couple tries to get into that book as well, but once I did, I really liked it. It has kind of a slow start, I think, and it's a long book.

Last night I started reading Lady of Avalon, one of the prequels to The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (one of my favorite books ever), but I realized I need to read the other prequel, The Forest House first. So I have to go find that book somewhere. In the meantime, I'll probably read The Book of Mordred, even though I read some reviews that said it wasn't that great. It's young adult fiction, so I'll probably get through it quickly.

Just finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I did after the first book.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I finally got around to reading Camus's L’Étranger.
    I HATED everything about it.
    Too apathetic? I like the scene with the priest at the end.

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I went through the free books available for my kindle, and found a couple classics that I feel like I should have read by now. They include Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Farenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange... And some books that I haven't read in many, many years like The Scarlet Letter and The Picture of Dorian Gray. I think I'm going to start with Dorian Gray first... I do love Oscar Wilde.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Farenheit was a quick read and anything involving mythology is fascinating to me <3333 I never read dorian grray

I'm reading several books on economics, art, interpersonal communication, ancient southern europe, islam and ancient cults. Some of these, I admit, are for classes but still interesting and the one about ancient cults is personal research. I plan on starting a cult one day that doesn't involve human sacrifice or sex with children. gross
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

in the mood for a play, re reading stairs to the roof.
    am just a sucker for vignettes. and william's youthful imperfection
    in his writing just makes me love it even more.

"he's blind with something--the same as i"
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    It took me a couple tries to get into that book as well, but once I did, I really liked it. It has kind of a slow start, I think, and it's a long book.
    Ha no one is forcing me to read it but the start is painfully slow and I can't find myself liking Mr Norrell. I guess I was too impatient for Jonathan Strange to show himself. He still hasn't and I've forgotten parts of what I had initially read a few months ago, so I have to go through the dreary parts again. As Aquarelle said, it's a long book which means it's huge so I don't carry it everywhere with me which makes it an even slower read. In a few weeks when assignments will start piling up, I'll probably pick it up and read from start to finish. I need enough incentives.

More on topic, I found a book called "The last house in the galaxy" by Andy Secombe last week. I may start it this evening. (I hope it's not a rip-off of the Hitchhiker's Guide.)

A Tale of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

I love the Harry Potter books and movies, and I've read them all twice (I've just started again and I think it will be the third time), and watched the movies many times over the years.

I've been trying to figure out why these books are so popular, and why I like them so much, and how they compare to other fantasy books I've read. The books meet some kind of need, giving me something I don't have in real life.

I love the idea of a school where you learn how to DO things, instead of just memorizing names and dates from a book. I made it partway through college and dropped out because I wasn't doing my homework and couldn't make myself believe that college had anything to do with the jobs I would have in the future.

I also love the huge number of warm, likeable characters. I've read some other books where there were few characters, and I didn't enjoy them as much. For instance I read the 'His Dark Materials' series and finished them, but I found them cold and depressing and didn't like the ending. The 'Twilight' series also felt cold and empty, and I didn't finish it. I like to be surrounded by dozens of friendly people in a community environment, because that's very different from how I feel in the real world. I have felt like an outsider for a very long time, always different from the people around me. So the Harry Potter books meet that need. And I enjoy the movies, even though they chopped out parts of the books, because I like to see the familiar faces.

('Azkaban' was different from all the other movies, a totally different universe, because it was directed by some other guy named Alfonso Cuaron, or something like that. That one is my favorite.)

I was reading on another website that said they thought JK Rowling was an NF. That's probably true. When I think about the Harry Potter world, I wonder about things like 'Why don't they make magical factories, and what would they produce?' 'Wouldn't there be a lot more magical programming - complex spells like computer programs?' She wrote the books without going into details about a lot of those things, and I am able to imagine 'spell programming' and 'magical factories,' but the books weren't about things like that. They are mostly about the interactions and relationships between various characters - lovable characters. That is why they are so interesting to me. And I think that is probably because she is an NF, a type of person who pays a lot of attention to human beings and their relationships with each other.

One reason why I want to know 'how she did it' is because I used to write fantasy stories when I was a teenager (but never finished them), and I might want to write fiction again someday. I would want to make my readers feel the way these books make me feel - comforted, entertained, amused, amazed by wonderful things that I don't see in the real world.