• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

StonedPhilosopher

MBTI Type
IDFC
I'm trying to finish Plato's Symposium for Philosophy, but the teacher's incredibly (and completely unreasonably) pessimistic tendencies when speaking about anything, including text analysis, kind of ruins the damn thing because I can't get that shit out of my head. It's fucking annoying.

TBQH, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out he killed himself a few years down the line.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just finished "Hotel du Lac" by Anita Brookner, not bad. It had very, very interesting dialogues and a well established character development, but the plot was not very satisfactory and the book lacked fluence from time to time.

Here's a quote that I loved in that book:

+ "I don't love you. Does that bother you?"
- "No. It reassures me. I do not want the burden of your feelings. All this can be managed without romantic expectations".

Currently, I started to read "A Pale View of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I immediately took a liking to it. Post WW-2 atmosphere, war trauma, suicide and unreliable narration. You do the math.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
To quote my blog:

SHIT SHIT, this book is so good. It's DESTINED to be made into a Handmaid's Tale sort of TV miniseries in the next 1-3 years (probably around the time it gets a paperback release). 100 pages in and I have had butterflies the whole time. The basic premise is that young women develop this electrical sort of power and can shock/cause pain/even kill people with it. Gradually as the power spreads (young women can sort of awaken it in older woman) it overturns society. It is a fascinating way to look at gender dynamics, is not anti-male, and does not portray this new world order of woman as this pretty little fluffy world where women are NEVER corrupted by their power (a lot of people seem to dislike that it portrays some women as abusing their power, rather than ruling benevolently over men). Politics, religious myths, even sexuality will never be the same again, after this "Revolution".

It's done in a multiple first person POV around the world, but is also told in a journalistic/epidemic style that makes it feel very plausible and concrete.

I dunno,it's hard to do it justice, but I just love books that totally shake up my entire worldview.

ucnIKDD.jpg

Lark

I'm trying to finish Plato's Symposium for Philosophy, but the teacher's incredibly (and completely unreasonably) pessimistic tendencies when speaking about anything, including text analysis, kind of ruins the damn thing because I can't get that shit out of my head. It's fucking annoying.

TBQH, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out he killed himself a few years down the line.

Its fantastic though.

I love that dialogue, plus death of socrates and timeaus (spelling) there's a great complete dialogues of Plato available on Amazon, I've got it beside my bed all the time. I've got it and another collected myths and stories of Plato which I constantly refer to if I want to read Plato, its some of the greatest philosophy there ever was. I dont remember who it was said that all western philosophy is just a footnote to Plato but they were right.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Collapse of Civilizations.

Although I may put this one off. I've gotten bored with history texts. Something very dreary and depressing about it. I want to look forward, not behind me.

Lark

Stoner by John Williams, I think is the author, its a good book but I have to take breaks from reading it.

I'm reading The Failure of Psychoanalysis and AD&D stuff.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A Canticle for Lebowitz, and a book about C. Elegans my capstone project mentor lent me.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Collapse of Civilizations.

Although I may put this one off. I've gotten bored with history texts. Something very dreary and depressing about it. I want to look forward, not behind me.

Maybe its current relevance? :newwink:

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
John Williams wrote a book in addition to composing awesome movie soundtracks? Cool!

Nah, it's a different dude. I liked the book. The Jurassic Park soundtrack probably wouldn't suit it as background music, though.