• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I just finished Big Little Lies. And I am so happy that I was wrong with my prediction. I fucking love this book. I love the fact that I actually really cared about the ending. That I cared about the characters and... I love the ending because of that. I love that I want a sequel so bad. The ending. It like... it was so powerful. At least to me. I dont know. Maybe I havent been reading good books lately. I love this book though.

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The main character is annoyingly perfect but the book is brilliantly written.

I've never understood the sentiment regarding Kvothe's perfection. He is, as a person, seriously flawed in his
arrogance, short-sightedness, narcissism, etc. I actually went into the trilogy expecting him to be perfect since
that was what everyone was saying, but the more I read the more flaws started to pop up. He may learn quickly
but I know plenty of people that does, and sometimes there are geniuses. Nonetheless, I eagerly await the third
installment, but I fail to see how Patrick can wrap it up in a satisfying manner in a single book without hurrying
the story along -- and in doing so destroying the tempo.

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm currently on the fourth book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Really love these books,
but I can't wait for the sixth book when certain characters make a return. The only real flaw of the
series has to be the fact that he focuses on certain characters with each book. I really grew
attached to Ganoes and co., only to have to read through two books á 1200 pages to continue his arch.
Sure, all the other characters are great. But!, some are just better than others.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm currently on the fourth book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Really love these books,
but I can't wait for the sixth book when certain characters make a return. The only real flaw of the
series has to be the fact that he focuses on certain characters with each book. I really grew
attached to Ganoes and co., only to have to read through two books á 1200 pages to continue his arch.
Sure, all the other characters are great. But!, some are just better than others.

I grew increasingly disappointed as the series progressed. I loved the early books, but had to force myself to finish it. Maybe you will enjoy the later books more than me.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Just finished "The Bat" by Jo Nesbø... and I understand why it wasn't the first Jo Nesbø mystery to be translated into English even though it's the first of the series. "Norwegian guy goes to Australia and learns about Australian culture" seems decidedly less exotic when English is your first language. (Not to mention, I cannot imagine how awkward it must read to actual Australians, especially re: the clumsiness with which the protagonist navigates race politics.)

Excited to move on to book 2 ("Cockroaches") though :) and then to finishing book 3 ("The Redbreast", which I got halfway through and then got distracted from). The goal is to read all the books up to "The Snowman" so I can be as prepared for the upcoming movie version as possible.

(side note, I'm concerned that Michael Fassbender won't get the humor right. He's definitely intense enough, but I haven't seen that kind of wry, playful snark out of him before.)

Holy serendipity batman, check your tags. I have most of this series in a prominent place on my shelf, and for good reason.

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I grew increasingly disappointed as the series progressed. I loved the early books, but had to force myself to finish it. Maybe you will enjoy the later books more than me.

I'll just have to hope that it doesn't turn into a Wheel of Time grind in which the author just pours out uninteresting
content that seem to drag on forever. Then again, I heard that the Wheel of Time grew better towards the end again
(still haven't finished Wheel of Time due to the interesting character arcs getting too little attention).

I am enjoying 'House of Chains' so far, and I'm about 5/8th of the book in. However, some of the times it can be hard
to sympathise with the characters in this book. Had no problem with that in previous books.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll just have to hope that it doesn't turn into a Wheel of Time grind in which the author just pours out uninteresting
content that seem to drag on forever. Then again, I heard that the Wheel of Time grew better towards the end again
(still haven't finished Wheel of Time due to the interesting character arcs getting too little attention).

I am enjoying 'House of Chains' so far, and I'm about 5/8th of the book in. However, some of the times it can be hard
to sympathise with the characters in this book. Had no problem with that in previous books.

The best way to read Wheel of Time is to read the entire series straight through. It has far less unnecessary fluff than the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but has so many characters and plot lines that it gets difficult to follow. If Jordan had kept everything with the original handfull of characters, it would have been better, so it started having too much politics and such.

Unnecessary bloat is unfortunate.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"With the Old Breed"

The memoirs of a infantryman fighting in the Pacific during WWII.

Gypsy-Flux

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

It's an urban heist fantasy kinda thing. Pretty interesting. Refreshingly different from the typical fantasy.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Something Wicked this way comes... by Ray Bradbury
Darks_Pandemonium_Carnival_poster.jpg

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was reading"The Alchemist," but I literally cannot finish any book I start and I'll probably start "The Picture of Dorian Gray" soon.

I need Ritalin.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was reading"The Alchemist," but I literally cannot finish any book I start and I'll probably start "The Picture of Dorian Gray" soon.

I need Ritalin.

I can relate.

Just looking at my bookshelf recently is a monument to the power of momentary elation followed by swift lazy indifference.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Last Sunday I finished reading Around the Moon by Jules Verne concluding all that I cared to read from Seven Novels by Jules Verne, a Barnes & Noble publication.

First I read Around the World in Eighty Days, then I read Journey to the Centre of the Earth; Then I read Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and then I read From the Earth to the Moon and last Sunday, I finished reading Around the Moon.

I haven't read Five Weeks in a Balloon or The Mysterious Island; but I'm okay with that, I bought the book to read what I've read and last Sunday I've finished, was great.

I can now say I've read Jules Verne.

Today I bought Dracula by Bram Stoker
9780241256596.jpg

Published by Penguin (hardcover).