• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

Kilgore Trout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm re-reading "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It's feels more tragic, knowing McMurphy's end. But I am inspired by his rebellious nature, his individuality against the system, his effort to get the other patients to escape the fog of the Combine, to be human again. The day-to-day grind of the Combine, whether it's in the form of a mental hospital, peer group, culture, society, or government, always keeps its pressure on you to conform, until you shrivel into nothing but a tired sack of skin. And yet, as he demonstrated when he tried and failed to pick up the panel, even if you can't beat the system, it's better to have boldly lived on your own terms.

I recently read the part where Chief Broom mentions that McMurphy does what he wants to do, despite how he looks. He will write a beautiful letter or paint a picture, even though he only seems like a scarred, red-headed gambler, a hustler who likes to fight and fuck too much. And his laughter over everything, over a story, a card game, over the absurdity of life, is something that is precious and shouldn't be taken away. I should remember to laugh more, to not take myself so seriously. When I start to settle into the motions of the system I interact with, I forget that I am human.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Im reading through Lovecraft. His stories are scary but in a very philosophical sort of way plus it is comical how racist and prejudiced he is and it bleeds through in his writing like a rotten to the core orange leaking decaying juices. Great writier though plus he lived in the olden days so i can forgive him as.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Good Profit by Charles Koch. Find out the business strategy and philosophy behind Koch Industries, a corp that's outperformed the S&P by 2700% since 1960.

Greater economic freedom is strongly correlated with not only higher income per capita, but with longer life expectancy, better environmental quality, improved health and education, less corruption, and better living standards - especially for the poor.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A manhwa called The Flower of Evil.

Heh. That's actually a Japanese manga (later made into an anime), called 「悪の華」 so the translation is more along the lines of "blooming of evil".

I just finished Richard Flanagan's novel The Narrow Road to the Deep North, and it was very very good. Superficially, it's about the horrors of war, the POWs who built the Burma railway and the effects of that trauma. At the same time, it has an almost Japanese zen feel with different characters weaving together the impermanence of history/love and the importance of selecting personal narratives in defining good and evil in ourselves. I found out later that the title's actually a translation of the title of a Japanese haibun work (collection of haiku) 「奥の細道」which I'd personally translate as "the narrow alley to the inside" - which is very appropriate for this book in its examination of war and humanity. I highly recommend it.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im reading through Lovecraft. His stories are scary but in a very philosophical sort of way plus it is comical how racist and prejudiced he is and it bleeds through in his writing like a rotten to the core orange leaking decaying juices. Great writier though plus he lived in the olden days so i can forgive him as.

When you think about it, Lovecraft's unique style of horror (fear of the unknown) is really just Xenophobia taken to its logical extreme.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm re-reading "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It's feels more tragic, knowing McMurphy's end. But I am inspired by his rebellious nature, his individuality against the system, his effort to get the other patients to escape the fog of the Combine, to be human again. The day-to-day grind of the Combine, whether it's in the form of a mental hospital, peer group, culture, society, or government, always keeps its pressure on you to conform, until you shrivel into nothing but a tired sack of skin. And yet, as he demonstrated when he tried and failed to pick up the panel, even if you can't beat the system, it's better to have boldly lived on your own terms.

I recently read the part where Chief Broom mentions that McMurphy does what he wants to do, despite how he looks. He will write a beautiful letter or paint a picture, even though he only seems like a scarred, red-headed gambler, a hustler who likes to fight and fuck too much. And his laughter over everything, over a story, a card game, over the absurdity of life, is something that is precious and shouldn't be taken away. I should remember to laugh more, to not take myself so seriously. When I start to settle into the motions of the system I interact with, I forget that I am human.

Haven't read that, but as far as Kesey is concerned, I recommend checking out "Sometimes A Great Notion." It's quite good.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finished the late Paul Kalanithi's "When Breath Becomes Air". Highly recommend it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Binge-read "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher on a 6-hour cross-country flight. It was fine. My friends tell me the later books are better.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Cold Days By Jim Butcher. IT's a novel of the Dresden Files.