First 7891011 Last

Thread: Tim Tebow

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Christianity is always being badmouthed by the secular media. I mean the assholes are just lampooning the poor guy at every turn... Psht.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know, a Christian could never get elected President in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I know, it's horrible -- I'm sick of the atheists running the country and controlling both parties.
    Don't forget about the Jews running the media.
    I wonder how many of the above three people have actually observed and have a cogent thesis about the media's treatment of Tim Tebow throughout his career, and how many are making "high-minded" ironic comments whilst speaking out of their ass.

I'd also like to remind everybody, if it's somehow not already clear, that I am not a Christian.

That one fact is likely enough to deal with most of the ignorant asshattery above.

[11/30]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I wonder how many of the above three people have actually observed and have a cogent thesis about the media's treatment of Tim Tebow throughout his career, and how many are making "high-minded" ironic comments whilst speaking out of their ass.

I'd also like to remind everybody, if it's somehow not already clear, that I am not a Christian.

That one fact is likely enough to deal with most of the ignorant asshattery above.

[11/30]
    Uh.... I was being whimsical, not expressing "ignorant asshattery." Sorry that bugs you.

I actually knew who Tebow was before this conversation, although not nearly apparently to the degree that you have followed him. However, I'm not really into football in general, so much of what I learn is by observing conversations by friends.

My thoughts on the matter before this thread opened were mainly that Tebow has probably been a little more vocal than he needed to be and is a bit on a pedestal within his religious community and by his own accord, but is also being needlessly bashed by an aggressive media.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

^ That, more or less, though I've likely paid less attention to the media. I have noticed that he seems placed upon some sort of pedestal by some members of the Christian faith. This bothered me at first, but now I'm mostly curious as to how his career and peoples' perception of it will play out in the long run.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

^ That, more or less, though I've likely paid less attention to the media. I have noticed that he seems placed upon some sort of pedestal by some members of the Christian faith. This bothered me at first, but now I'm mostly curious as to how his career and peoples' perception of it will play out in the long run.
    It's definitely the kind of polarization we're seeing lately. I mean, even Pat Robertson is now leaping in to criticize the criticism/spoofing of Tebo -- it's getting to the point where people are not arguing Tebo's actual record and behavior and the situations he's been in with the media, it's merely a war between established alliances and social forces in the ongoing secular vs Christian battle -- "oh no, he's one of them, tell him to stfu!" vs "oh no, he's one of us and he's being attacked, we must defend him!" kind of thing.

That's why I don't have much else to say about it. It just gets old, Tebow's not the first and he won't be the last "friction point" in that cultural battle.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's definitely the kind of polarization we're seeing lately. I mean, even Pat Robertson is now leaping in to criticize the criticism/spoofing of Tebo -- it's getting to the point where people are not arguing Tebo's actual record and behavior and the situations he's been in with the media, it's merely a war between established alliances and social forces in the ongoing secular vs Christian battle -- "oh no, he's one of them, tell him to stfu!" vs "oh no, he's one of us and he's being attacked, we must defend him!" kind of thing.

That's why I don't have much else to say about it. It just gets old, Tebow's not the first and he won't be the last "friction point" in that cultural battle.
    Alright, now let's jump right into the 'War on Christmas'. Those godless secular Nazis...*shakes fist*

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

[11/30]
    Given the religious make up of this country, I think it's safe to assume that some (if not most) of the people criticizing Tebow also identify themselves as Christians. They may not be hardcore evangelicals, but that doesn't make them non-Christian. Atheists make a good scapegoat.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Is this that guy who throws a ball for a living and makes occasionally silly political statements informed by his fundie beliefs?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Is this that guy who throws a ball for a living and makes occasionally silly political statements informed by his fundie beliefs?
    He sings too. This is a tad creepy.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    He sings too. This is a tad creepy.
    If he had a dancing bear, he'd be a circus act

On a more serious note: I like him well enough. He's a really religious guy and puts it out there but then so do damn near half the people I work with. I dunno.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    If he had a dancing bear, he'd be a circus act

On a more serious note: I like him well enough. He's a really religious guy and puts it out there but then so do damn near half the people I work with. I dunno.
    I guess what he isn't seeing is that shoving stuff down others throats, no matter what it is, is going to get tiresome after awhile. I don't dislike him at all but of all the QB's....this one is just too adorable.

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.