User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Tim Tebow

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    It's this kind of shallow mocking, with just a bit of actual venom attached, that does nothing to improve our national discourse.
    LOL, look at it this way:

The Twins got Torii Hunter's best years. The Angels are paying him $18.5 million a year to suck.
    The Blue Jays got Vernon Wells' best years. The Angels are paying him $21 million a year to suck.
    The Phillies got Bobby Abreu's best years. The Angels are paying him $9 million a year to suck.
    The Cardinals got Albert Pujol$' best years. The Angels are paying him $25.4+ million a year to continue to decline.

What I see is an organization desperately trying to be like the Yankees and Red Sox, but continually making bad choices. If I was the Angels GM and I felt I needed to get a first baseman, I would have traded for Joey Votto. But I guess that's where we differ. The Angels care more about PR and less about actually winning baseball games.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    LOL, look at it this way:

The Twins got Torii Hunter's best years. The Angels are paying him $18.5 million a year to suck.
    The Blue Jays got Vernon Wells' best years. The Angels are paying him $21 million a year to suck.
    The Phillies got Bobby Abreu's best years. The Angels are paying him $9 million a year to suck.
    The Cardinals got Albert Pujol$' best years. The Angels are paying him $25.4+ million a year to continue to decline.

What I see is an organization desperately trying to be like the Yankees and Red Sox, but continually making bad choices. If I was the Angels GM and I felt I needed to get a first baseman, I would have traded for Joey Votto.
    Well, I wasn't talking about baseball, but I definitely agree about the Vernon Wells contract.

I don't feel as strongly about the Torii Hunter and Abreu contracts.

And we'll see about the Pujols contract, based on the team's success (competitive and financial) over the next 4-5 years.

ETA, for your additional comments (and a reminder, this thread is about Tim Tebow, not baseball):

But I guess that's where we differ. The Angels care more about PR and less about actually winning baseball games.
    Tertiary Te. So bitter.

Well, how much you're paying a guy doesn't matter as much when you're signing huge TV deals.

And we'll see about their winning and your magical crystal ball over the next few seasons.

For now, I'm just thinking about which days I want to go out to an ol' ballgame.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well, I wasn't talking about baseball, but I definitely agree about the Vernon Wells contract.

I don't feel as strongly about the Torii Hunter and Abreu contracts.

And we'll see about the Pujols contract, based on the team's success (competitive and financial) over the next 4-5 years.

ETA, for your additional comments (and a reminder, this thread is about Tim Tebow, not baseball):

Tertiary Te. So bitter.

Well, how much you're paying a guy doesn't matter as much when you're signing huge TV deals.

And we'll see about their winning and your magical crystal ball over the next few seasons...
    You're right I'm bitter. But as I said earlier, it's an emotional response (I'm human, not a robot). It will fade. The Cardinals will continue to win titles. The Angels will continue to be the Angels.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Sent to me this morning:

Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God
    was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded
    Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom, said
    God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt
    special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the
    corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and
    drive ways, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag
    waving, a swimming pool in shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every
    window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door.

Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I
    have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even
    went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Tom?"

"Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than me?"

God chuckled, and said "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine."

MBTI
    INTJ

Sent to me this morning:
    That's a good one

MBTI
    INTP

I've got nothing against Tebow. So far, he seems like a genuinely good person.

But not all "Christian" professional athletes are like Tebow. Most are more like Albert Pujol$, who told Cardinals fans that God told him to go sign with the Angels, who just happened to offer him the most money. Pujol$ says it's not about the money, he was just being obedient to the ultimate authority. Therefore, if you're questioning Pujol$, you are questioning God.
    To be fair, the Marlins offered him even more money, and he probably just meant that he thinks God told him it was the right decision for him and his family.

But yeah, it was incredibly annoying for him to go there (and that's coming from a Braves fan); the decision seems to be based on personal pride more than anything else.

I guess the question for the Angels is whether they can really afford to spend money like the Yankees and Red Sox; if yes, it was a good deal for them (he should still be a pretty good DH even at 42, so its all about his effect on the overall team salary down the road).

As for Tebow, I don't really have an opinion one way or another (I'm one of those annoying one-sport guys), but he would be hard-pressed to be as annoying as some of his detractors (like that Rabbi who's afraid Tebow fans will go around assaulting Jews and burning mosques if his team loses).

You're right I'm bitter. But as I said earlier, it's an emotional response (I'm human, not a robot). It will fade. The Cardinals will continue to win titles. The Angels will continue to be the Angels.
    Well, I don't know about that. I said earlier that losing Pujols is probably a net good for the Cards, but that doesn't mean acquiring Pujols isn't a net good for the Angels. He will sell tickets in a park that doesn't sell out consistently the way Busch does - that's one advantage of signing Pujols for the Angels that means nothing to the Cards. It also fills the Angels' glaring need for bats, a need that is not present in St. Louis. Finally, it will likely only adversely affect the Angels' payroll while Pujols is still worth that salary. Vernon Wells' $21 million comes off the books after the 2014 season, nearly offsetting Pujols' salary after that. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Angels will find a more efficient use of that $21 million after Wells is gone.

It might be that this is a deal like the Chris Paul trade, where one team comes out better after losing the superstar, and the other team comes out better after acquiring the superstar (even if the cost isn't strictly speaking worth it).
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

I've got nothing against Tebow. So far, he seems like a genuinely good person.

But not all "Christian" professional athletes are like Tebow. Most are more like Albert Pujol$, who told Cardinals fans that God told him to go sign with the Angels, who just happened to offer him the most money. Pujol$ says it's not about the money, he was just being obedient to the ultimate authority. Therefore, if you're questioning Pujol$, you are questioning God.

Ndamukong Suh's also claimed God after he Riverdanced on that guy's head on TG.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    To be fair, the Marlins offered him even more money, and he probably just meant that he thinks God told him it was the right decision for him and his family.
    The Marlins have denied claims that they offered more money than the Angels. That offer was supposedly a rumor started by Dan Lozano (Pujols' agent).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, I don't know about that. I said earlier that losing Pujols is probably a net good for the Cards, but that doesn't mean acquiring Pujols isn't a net good for the Angels. He will sell tickets in a park that doesn't sell out consistently the way Busch does - that's one advantage of signing Pujols for the Angels that means nothing to the Cards. It also fills the Angels' glaring need for bats, a need that is not present in St. Louis. Finally, it will likely only adversely affect the Angels' payroll while Pujols is still worth that salary. Vernon Wells' $21 million comes off the books after the 2014 season, nearly offsetting Pujols' salary after that. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Angels will find a more efficient use of that $21 million after Wells is gone.

It might be that this is a deal like the Chris Paul trade, where one team comes out better after losing the superstar, and the other team comes out better after acquiring the superstar (even if the cost isn't strictly speaking worth it).
    Maybe, but I want Pujols to suffer. I want him to watch Carpenter, Wainwright, and Molina win another title while he's watching it on TV, sitting next to Nyjer Morgan.